Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2007, 11:41 AM

I am generally a Princess Cruises fan but my husband is interested in trying RCL. (We have also sailed on Holland America, Celebrity and Windstar.) Can anyone who's sailed on both lines give me some insights into the pro's and con's of RCL? We generally enjoy larger ships that have lots of bars, restaurants and entertainment but also like to find spots where two can sit quietly and chat. Is there a specific ship class most recommended? Thanks in advance. Joyceh
Old 02-21-2007, 12:23 PM

You can't compare any ship to the Voyager class ships RCCL has. Ice skating rink, Promenade, and even a surfing simulator on the Freedom of the seas. If size really matters, then you'll want to be on one of RCCL Voyager class ships. I'd choose the Freedom of the seas or Liberty of the seas.

Sonny
Old 02-21-2007, 12:28 PM

Princess has the Grand class ships. The Crown, Emerald, Grand, etc. We've only sailed on NCL, RCL, HAL, Costa, Carnival and Princess. To me, Princess does it best. They are just a tad more elegant. However, I wouldn't hesitate to try RCL if I were you. They're ships definitely have more buzz stuff on board. In-line skating, rock walls, florider, ice skating, etc. It's just that I prefer not to pay higher prices for stuff I wont be using. Plus, this is just my opinion, the food is better on Princess. SonnyV loves Royal, we love Princess. Either one is a great choice. Best wishes!
Old 02-21-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
They're ships
Sorry, I meant Their ships. Also, The Grand class ships are the larger ships on Princess.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:32 PM

Sonnyv and Penny 3333, thanks for the insights. Sounds like we should go on the Voyager class ships to get all the bells and whistles. Interesting comment on the food as I think Princess does a very good job, but not outstanding. Joyceh
Old 02-22-2007, 12:51 PM
Iím new to the world of cruising, only once in the carnival destiny a great vessel and last year went to Royal Caribbean ďadventure of the seasĒ
I canít compare it with princess but I donít recommend ďadventure of the seasĒ or anything from RC things have change over the years, no food and no life after 10 pm. BAD COSTUMER SERVICE!!!
I have looking the reviews, I was trying to write one but I donít how to do it in cruise reviews, believe me those new reviews cannot be trusted at all, in my opinion.
If I were you Iíll stay with princess for all I know from a friend (10 cruises with different companies) is the bestÖ
Old 02-22-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joyceh:
Sonnyv and Penny 3333, thanks for the insights. Sounds like we should go on the Voyager class ships to get all the bells and whistles. Interesting comment on the food as I think Princess does a very good job, but not outstanding. Joyceh
Had a luncheon on Princess with the officer that was incharge of purchasing the food for Princess. He had just come from the same position on Royal Caribbean and said Princess's food budget per person was double what RCL's was.

This was two years ago so things might not be the same now. Unkown to him we were going to try RCL until he told us that.

Future cruises:
Star Princess - Dec. 2007-Rome- TA
Crown Princess- May 2008 TA & Baltics
Pacific Princess-Nov. 2008-Holy Land & Egypt
Diamond Princess- Apr. 2009 Asia- Bangkok to Whittier
Past cruises:
Golden Princess-2007-Alaska
Sea Princess-2005 Canada/New England
Diamond Princess- 2005 Mexican Riviera
Star Princess- 2004 x2 Med. Venice to Barcelona/ Barcelona to Rome
Dawn Princess - 2004 x3- Southern Caribbean
Grand Princess- 2003 x2 W.Caribbean/ 2004 Panama
Sun Princess- 2003 Mexico
Tahitian Princess- 2003 Tahiti & Cook Islands
Royal Princess- 2003 x2- British Isles / Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Island Princess- 2003 Panama Canal / 2007 Hawaii
Sky Princess- 2000 China & Orient
Sitmar's Fairwind - 1979 x2- Caribbean/Panama Canal
-------------------------------------------------
HAL-Amsterdam- 2004 Alaska
HAL Ryndam - 2001 x 2- S. America
------------------------------------------
Viking Spirit/Pride -2006 Budapest to Amsterdam
Old 02-24-2007, 08:26 AM

I have only sailed on the Grand Princess when it was brand new and we thought it was the worst ship we had ever sailed. Very confusing set up and way to big. RCCL is our favorite! We love the Voyager Class. We have grown children that always joins us and we all are RCCL fans. This will be my 2nd cruise this summer on Princess. We are trying the Sun to Alaska, so we'll see. However, any cruise is great! Happy sailing!
Trish
Old 02-24-2007, 08:54 AM
I also was on Grand Princess when it was new (3rd cruise) and found it a little overwhelming at frist--but came away with a much different opinion from yours.
You should enjoy Sun Princess; it's very easy to get around and a very comfortable ship.
And you are right--any cruise is great!
Old 02-24-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
trishm7957 We are trying the Sun to Alaska, so we'll see.
I agree with f-Mattox about the Grand and the Sun. I don't know what type of cabin you have booked on the Sun but if it has a balcony they are much different on this class of ship than they are on the other Princess class ships. The balcony on the Sun, Dawn and Sea are cut out of the hull so they are not totally open. There is metal on the lower portion where the plexi glass is on the other ships and metal on both ends of the balcony thus the overall feeling is much more like a huge glassless window. Depending on where you sit on the balcony and how tall you are you may have to stand rather than sit to see the ocean.

Future cruises:
Star Princess - Dec. 2007-Rome- TA
Crown Princess- May 2008 TA & Baltics
Pacific Princess-Nov. 2008-Holy Land & Egypt
Diamond Princess- Apr. 2009 Asia- Bangkok to Whittier
Past cruises:
Golden Princess-2007-Alaska
Sea Princess-2005 Canada/New England
Diamond Princess- 2005 Mexican Riviera
Star Princess- 2004 x2 Med. Venice to Barcelona/ Barcelona to Rome
Dawn Princess - 2004 x3- Southern Caribbean
Grand Princess- 2003 x2 W.Caribbean/ 2004 Panama
Sun Princess- 2003 Mexico
Tahitian Princess- 2003 Tahiti & Cook Islands
Royal Princess- 2003 x2- British Isles / Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Island Princess- 2003 Panama Canal / 2007 Hawaii
Sky Princess- 2000 China & Orient
Sitmar's Fairwind - 1979 x2- Caribbean/Panama Canal
-------------------------------------------------
HAL-Amsterdam- 2004 Alaska
HAL Ryndam - 2001 x 2- S. America
------------------------------------------
Viking Spirit/Pride -2006 Budapest to Amsterdam

Closed Thread

Tags
adventure, caribbean, crown, cruise, diamond, freedom, grand, hal, holy, island, land, mexican, princess, royal, seas, vs