Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2007, 07:13 PM

Hi! I've only been on one cruise (RCI's Grandeur, LOVED IT!!) but I am booking another for August. I am planning to go to the Caribbean, or New England, most likely on an RCI cruise. (if it aint broke, don't fix it!)

I am thinking i should just book an interior stateroom since i was hardly ever in my balcony state room on the grandeur. Does anyone have any pictures of an interior stateroom? Also, has anyone had an interior and wished they had sprugn for an oceanview, or vice versa?

Thanks for any input!
Old 04-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Hello kaylin mick, and welcome to cruise-chat;

seems to me you pretty much answered your own question: if you are hardly ever in your cabin, why pay extra for a balcony? Several members have great photos of cabins, SONNY V in particular; but you can see photos on the lines website. An inside is just like an oceanview with the curtains drawn.

There are a few who, like you, feel the balcony isin't worth the extra money, but usually it's the other way around--most would love to have a balcony; and once they've had one can never go back.

And I agree with your assessment, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"; you are at the top with RCL unless you want to get into the ultra-luxury and all-inclusive lines.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:51 PM

Just go to RCI's website. Click on plan a cruise, then ships, choose a ship, then choose staterooms. Interior rooms on some of RCI's older ships are only about 119 sq ft. Keep in mind interior rooms are very dark.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:00 AM
well I dont know I try the same thing and didn't work once you try a balcony there is no way to go back to interior cabin they are smaller and is not the same even the bathroom is smaller in most cases.

I first cruise with carnival In the Carnival Destiny in a balcony cabin, I like it because you can see the ports when you arrive and when you leave, great videos, great memories!!!
when I cruise with Royal Caribbean at the adventure of the seas I booked an interior cabin and I did not like, it you cannot see the port or the relaxing views of the island. I know is less money but is your vacation you should enjoy every part of it don't make the same mistake...
Old 04-08-2007, 02:26 AM

Hi, kaylin mick,
I have only once booked a balcony cabin and also thought it was not worth its money, because I was so busy getting around the ship and the ports I rarely used my cabin other than to shower or to sleep.
I will never again book any other cabin than an inside one.
Lugi
Old 04-08-2007, 04:30 AM

I may be misunderstanding your question, and, if so, please forgive me. But it appears you are drawing a distinction between two classes of cabin...balcony and interior.

I agree that the balcony stateroom can be significantly more than an interior room, but there is a third option - an oceanview stateroom. Often such a stateroom often is only $100 more than an interior room...which would make the room about $200 more for the cruise (assuming two people in the room).

And for the extra $100, I think the value is there. You get the benefits of daylight, can get some views of ports and sea, and when you are in your room there is more of a feeling of openness and well-being (don't ask me to define this one..I just write the stuff).

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-08-2007, 05:30 AM
Administrator

Hi kaylin mick, and welcome to cruise-chat.

Both of our Royal Caribbean cruises were made in interior staterooms, one on Splendour of the Seas and the other on Rhapsody of the Seas. I don't know which ship(s) you're considering, yet if it is one in this class, the interior staterooms are quite comfortable.

We found the cabin very nice. We booked the "Larger Interior Stateroom" both times, which is 146 square feet, versus 140 for the standard interior stateroom on these particular ships. The storage space was incredible -- and there were three of us. The cabin was also very brightly decorated, and a mirror on the back wall reflected any light. We brought a night light for overnights. In our case, our son slept on the sofa in the sitting area. (I don't recall if it was a sofa bed, but as he was small at the time, he fit anyway.)

Photos, from Royal Caribbean's site, may be found HERE. These are for near-sister ship Grandeur of the Seas, with which you are familiar.

Aside to SailorJack: Thank you for mentioning the oceanview cabins. Those are actually my favorite typs... I just wish more ships would put them in better locations.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:27 AM

Kaylin,
an option not yet mentioned is an inside cabin in the voyager or Freedom class ships overlooking the promanade. This rooms have a bay window that allows plenty of light and are slightly bigger that the regular inside stateroom. They are only about $50 above what you pay for a regular stateroom and you have a great view. Just a thought
Carnival Glory 9/06
Mariner of the Seas 5/07
Freedom of the Seas 9/07
Sovereign of the Seas 2/08
Enchantment of the Seas 4/08
Liberty of the Seas 9/08
Independence " 11/08
Freedom of the Seas 5/09

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 04-08-2007, 11:40 AM

We have taken 5 cruises. 1 with a cabin with a window and the last 4 including a recent cruise on the Voyager inside cabins. We ave decided that with a limited budget we would rather spend the extra money on tours and shopping.
I have noted that a lot of people who enjoy the balconies like to have a drink or a cigar before dinner or breakfast on their balcony. If you do then definitely the balcony is the way to go because there isn't much room in an inside cabin to do these and why would you want to. We even had the coffee table taken out of our cabin to make more room on our last cruise.

However if you're like us and enjoy eating in the restaurants and drinking in the bars to meet other people, and enjoy standing on the outside railings as the ship pulls out of port than an inside cabin is fine. We also like to get out to the pool on sea days or off the ship as soon as possible in port so we don't spend much time in the room.

An advantage of an inside room if you want to sleep in, or have a mid day nap is that the room is really dark.

The main disadvantage for me is when you wake up you have no idea what the weather is like and unless you have a lighted clock - what time it is.
February 2004 - Grand Princess - W. Caribbean
March 2007 - RCI Voyager of the Seas - E. Caribbean
May 2007 - RCI Voyager of the Seas - Western Mediterranean (Mrs. E. & daughter only - I had a medical emergency)
October 2007 - RCI Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean

Old 04-08-2007, 01:19 PM

Having had inside, ocean view, promenade view, and visited balcony of a relative, we enjoy the ocean view best for port intensive cruises as we like to see the arrival and departure from port while getting up or preparing for dinner.Also we get midship on lower deck to make getting from and to cabin easy and not need elevators which can be packed. Promenade stateroom is great for watching the parades, but at that time can be a little noisy..terrific for people watching and cost only a bit more than standard inside and are all midship. Best advice is get what you can afford so you can cruise more often..where you sleep is only part of the experience.

Closed Thread

Tags
cabin, cabins, caribbean, carnival, cruise, cruiser, cruisers, destiny, inside, interior, oceanview, review, reviews, royal, ship, stateroom