Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2007, 10:06 PM

I am trying to sort out the fine details of our arrival / departure to Galveston and any suggestions will help. There will be 12 of us travelling from Canada. Here are my questions/dilemmas:

1. travel time from Bush International to port (I have read 2 hours...)?
2. What is the earliest departure flight time I should book leaving Bush after disembarkation given the long distance to the airport?
3. cheapest transportation to/from airport to hotel or cruise port for 12 people? Should we rent a couple of minivans and drop off at the cruise terminal prior to embarking? (I have seen shuttle rates for $300 oneway, is this reasonable?)
4. is there reasonable accommodations (eg suites/condos)for 12 people close to/on the beach or in an area where we can walk around?
5. is there a lot to see in Galveston to justify a few days for a pre-cruise stay? Is it warm enough in the beginning of April to go to the beach?

Although we are booked on VOS out of Galveston, I need to sort out the about details to see if it's worth sailing out of Galveston. The distance/price from the port to Bush International seems to be a bit of a hassle.

Appreciate any suggestions.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:51 AM

From bush international to the cruise terminal is 71 miles. Figure 85 minutes travelling time. You can rent a 15 passenger stretch navigator limousine for 350 dollars. That probably isn't the cheapest way but, kinda fun. It would be less than $30 per person. of course there would be the small issue of luggage capacity.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:38 PM

There are two airports in Houston. If you fly into IAH (Bush) a Continental Airlines hub, you're 70+ miles as previously stated. If you fly into HOU (Hobby) a Southwest Airlines hub, you're a little over 50 mile from the pier. The cruiseline offeres transfers from IAH only. There is an outside transfer company www.galvestonlimousineservice.com 1(800)640-4826 that will provide transfers from either airport. There may be add'l options for rental carss/vans/limos but I don't know the cost.

There are plenty of hotels in Galveston on or near the beach. The nicest of these is The San Luis Resort on Seawall Blvd. The pier is not near the beach/tourist areas, it's in an industrial district. That means more transportation needed if you stay at the beach. The beaches in Galveston are not much to brag about unless you like brown water. There is plenty to do in the area. NASA, Kemah Boardwalk, The Strand and more in Houston. If you're going to spend time, the rental car/van sounds like a wise investment.

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-14-2007, 08:12 PM

It seems we may just have to rent a car. Any suggestions on where to stay in a touristy area (even in Houston) where it's walking distance?

Closed Thread

Tags
airport, bush, caribbean, cruise, cruises, galveston, iah, international, it, pier, port, price, royal, transfers, worth