Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2007, 07:48 AM

We are going on our first cruise with our kids on the Navigator in March... I was reading a list that says to pack formal attire for one night... Is this mandatory? What will or must we attend that is formal, and do the kids have to bring formals too? Sorry if I sound clueless (because I am ) I had just planned on bringing some "business-casual" clothes for our dinners each night.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:52 AM

Formal night will only be in the main dining room. If you do not want to go to formal night you can order room service, go to the WindJammer Cafe or other food options on the Promanade. If you want to go to formal night, for ladies a nice cocktail dress will be fine, men can wear a shirt and tie, and or jacket. A tux is not required but some wear them. You can rent then from the ship. The kids can wear a nice outfit, my son (4) wore his tie for the pictures and it lasted about 10 minutes into dinner. The kids can also go to the Adventure Ocean, on our last cruise they took the kids to dinner on one formal night so the kids did not have to dress up and we got a formal dinner without the whining! Hope this helps.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:09 AM

Oh Mere.. thank you sooooo much... that is really helpful... we really didn't want extra expenses like tux rentals and expensive gowns.... LOL!! sounds perfect. I have a 15 year old son who would pass out if he had to wear a tux too.... I think I will drop them off... Thanks again!
Old 09-30-2007, 10:18 AM
We were on the Voyager of the Sea in January and Formal night really wasn't that formal...most of the kids had a nice shirt, slacks, skirt and blouse..Mom and Dad had suits, nice dress....but then again..one of the men at our table had jeans and a flowered shirt on...so almost anything goes now...We dress up somewhat, but nothing like it use to be...Just have on what makes you feel comfortable...Happy cruising...

Bob E
Old 09-30-2007, 01:59 PM

For some, formal night is important because of the pictures. I've often worn just a sport jacket on a formal night. Some people love to dress up; some don't. Business casual will be fine. Seeing that it's your first cruise with your kids, you might want to put some thought into picture taking.

Sonny
Old 10-06-2007, 12:47 PM

You didn't include your itinerary onboard the Navagator. It makes a difference, If you are on a caribbean cruise the atmosphere is more relaxed. If it is the Med or Europe, it is more formal. Our last cruise was Western Europe 2 weeks ago and most passengers in the dinning room were more formal that I expected. Men in tuxes, white dinner jackets or dark suits, women in long formals or cocktail dresses. We even saw a few toddlers in suits... (very cute)

Fantasy - Bahamas 4/96
Rhaposdy OTS - S Caribbean 11/97
Jewel OTS - Europe 9/07
Mariner OTS - Caribbean 10/08
Old 11-08-2007, 12:50 PM

Hi BHSE,

Remember that 'formal' should not always be considered 'serious'. You can check some samples, like kilt jackets, in here:
http://www.scotyard.com/index.cfm/a/.../3/Formal-Wear
Old 11-08-2007, 01:02 PM

Just back from our first cruise. We were seated at a table for 10...went for the first formal night and never returned...felt rushed...and we had early dinning time. We preffered the more relaxed no rushed atmosphere of the Windjammer..Empress of the Seas did not have too many dinning options. Did not get hooked on cruising...we enjoyed it don't get me wrong but I think land trips are more our style...we will not say we will never ever cruise again...and maybe we need to try a larger ship but for the most part we had a decent vacation. Thanks for all the help I got from the forum...it was a wealth of information.

saublewater : )

Free Cruise Tickers

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, cruise, dinner, dress, find, formal, httpwwwscotyardcom, kids, mandatory, night, ocean, pictures, review, royal, wear