Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Administrator

I'll be posting a bigger review but for now here is an overview of our cruise to New England and Canada:

Fabulous cruise. The crew from Captain to deck hand was wonderful. The CD and his wife (the hostess) were superb. Great entertainment. Amazingly good food, both in the dining room and in the buffet. Pleasant itinerary. Foggy and cool most of the time but not so much that it ruined anything. A pleasant dinner table with nice people and the best waiter and assistant waiter we've ever had. It might have to do with our head waitress also being our waiter's wife (not sure how they jockey around that, but it seems to work fine). We had thoughtful discussions every night and everyone at the table got along famously.

And most of all, this cruise was great because I finally got to meet our very own Lisa in person!

(How's this post for a superlatives work-out?)
Old 06-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Administrator

I'll be posting a bigger review but for now here is an overview of our cruise to New England and Canada:

Fabulous cruise. The crew from Captain to deck hand was wonderful. The CD and his wife (the hostess) were superb. Great entertainment. Amazingly good food, both in the dining room and in the buffet. Pleasant itinerary. Foggy and cool most of the time but not so much that it ruined anything. A pleasant dinner table with nice people and the best waiter and assistant waiter we've ever had. It might have to do with our head waitress also being our waiter's wife (not sure how they jockey around that, but it seems to work fine). We had thoughtful discussions every night and everyone at the table got along famously.

And most of all, this cruise was great because I finally got to meet our very own Lisa in person!

(How's this post for a superlatives work-out?)
Old 06-29-2009, 09:04 AM

Mighty fine post, Dave. Did you have to break out the thesaurus? I was watching the weather and it looked pretty cold and bleak. Not to worry, though, you're sailing. Did you have any lobster rolls or clam rolls? There is such fresh seafood up there. Of course, I'm kinda partial to south Florida's seafood or San Francisco, but New England has some dang good food, too.

You'll be off again really soon, so welcome home for the duration. We kept it hot, humid and hazy here just for your return
Old 06-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Administrator

I had a lobster roll for lunch in Bar Harbor. So simple yet so good. I am always bashing cruise ship lobster, but I ordered it and like everything else in the dining room it was surprisingly good. Flavorful and tender, and we could order as many as we wanted although the waiter was not allowed to offer extra servings, but he had to fill any requests for more. He told us on the previous cruise a "large man" at one of his tables ordered 17 portions and ate them all, plus he got 3 more to go. That is ridiculous of course, but they didn't turn him down.

We did have lots of fog and it was cool at times but never more than windbreaker level. We brought the sunshine to Boston I guess.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:35 PM

Cold water lobster in the north is so much better than the warm water lobster in southern climates. This is my opinion of course, but anyone I know who has had the pleasure of dining on both have agreed whole heartedly. How big were these lobsters Dave (lbs)? Can't imagine anyone eating 17 large ones at one meal.

B
Old 06-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Administrator

The 17 portions was cruise ship lobster - meaning just the frozen pre-split lobster tails and those are not very large. Maybe a third of a pound of meat. As I recall the waiter said the hog was tossing them down in two or three bites.

Lobstermen are selling 1.5 pounders directly to the public along the roadside in Maine for $5 to $6.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:34 PM

O.K, I'm getting it now, they were not the whole lobster. I had lobster in the Bahamas years ago and said never again as I live in the North East and can get the really good ones all season long. Therefore I never order it on cruises so wasn't sure how it came to the table. Glad it was good. Your lobster roll in Bar Habor would have been fresh, not frozen I'm sure. Yummy!

B
Old 06-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Administrator

I think they used at least a pound of fresh lobster in my lobster roll. It was huge and I was stuffed. I only ordered a salad and entree at dinner that night, and then only ate about half of the entree. My waiter was worried I didn't like the food. I had to assure him it was fine but I was not going to be hungry for several hours.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:29 PM
when I was just a wee lass, my father had a lobster boat. He would bring home the culls(with only one claw) and us kids would all groan..aw man lobster again.
Go figure.

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers
Old 06-29-2009, 07:11 PM

Hi poormom,
I have friends who, as children, traded their lobster sandwiches for peanut butter ones. They are not crazy about lobster anymore, do you still enjoy it?
B

Closed Thread