Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 06:30 AM
Hi,

Im very loyal to Royal Caribbean, ok well I've only been on two cruises so far, Voyager and Liberty and we're booked on Oasis the end of January 2010. However we have got quite a good price on Celebrity Century - Im not sure how Celebrity would compare with Royal Caribbean and Im not sure I really want to find out.... any thoughts greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-09-2009, 07:02 AM

Cork, Celebrity is a bit more sedate, perhaps more upscale than Royal Caribbean. The average age is a little older than on Royal Caribbean.

The real difference I see, however, is the ship. You've been happy with the Voyager and then the Liberty of the Seas, and are now booked on Oasis. These ships are all a lot bigger than Century, with many more options for dining, entertainment, etc.

There are a lot of similarities between Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, since they are owned by the same company. But if you really like the huge, active ships with ice skating, etc., you'd probably not be as excited with the Century. If you're wanting to try a ship that has a less frenetic pace, fewer passengers, more upscale feel, you may want to give Century a try.

Of course, the best solution is to try the Century in *addition* to your Oasis cruise! If you have a way to manage that, it's the best of both worlds.

Sandy
Old 07-09-2009, 07:09 AM
thanks Sandy for your quick reply, Ive just been looking at century online now and have noticed that they dont seem to have any theatre, or equivellant to the windjammer just little cafes. I may just wait and hope and pray something comes up cheap and cheerful with royal caribbean as I feel they are the leaders in the market!
Old 07-09-2009, 07:24 AM

Sandy pretty much summed it up. I like to use the word "refined". Celebrity is more refined. I like the ambiance and the way it makes me feel when I'm on Celebrity. I've been on the Century twice. Once before the refurbishment and once after. It's a beautiful ship and it's a nice size. One thing I like about Celebrity is they aren't blasting announcements all the time, and they have special touches. You will find less children on Celebrity.

What was it you liked about the two RCI ships you went on? Did you like the busy hustle and bustle? Did you like the physical amenities like ice skating, rock climbing, mini golf? Did you like the busy Royal Promenade with all it's shopping?

I like Sandy's idea though of going on both.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:30 AM
I really love the variety of Royal Caribbeans larger ships, the choice that I can go to a show or just have a few drinks, watch some salsa dancing while my boyfriend has the options of flow rider and the likes, aggh!! decisions decisions Im only 33 so am a little worried that it may be a little older for us.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:31 AM

Corkgirl,

Yes, the Century has the Islands Cafe on the Resort deck which would be equivalent to the Windjammer. By a theatre do you mean a separate movie theatre? No, the Century doesn't have a movie theatre. They do have a two deck show lounge.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Administrator

It's been a while since we've cruised on Celebrity, but I recall waiters would carry your trays for you in the Islands Cafe buffet and locate a table for you. Not sure if they still do that. It was a nice touch.

The lack of announcements on Celebrity makes it much more relaxing. On our last RCI cruise the pool band got interrupted 3 times in one song for announcements about bingo, the spa specials, and the watch sale.

Celebrity may be more sedate but don't take that to mean boring. They still have lounge acts, dancing, karaoke, big production shows, bands, etc.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:09 AM

Dave, When I took my Father on the Celebrity Summit to Alaska in August 2007 they were taking your tray and helping you find seating. My 75 year old Father wasn't used to being served like that and told me "I don't need them helping me like that." haha. Go figure.

Yes, Celebrity has great activities. I enjoyed learning line dancing on the Summit, and they had a great ventriloquist. The expressions on his puppets faces cracked me up.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:55 PM

Corkgirl, go for it. You'll never know unless you experience it for your self. If you do it, you can let us all know your thoughts - which would be greatly appreciated.

Sonny
Old 07-11-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
It's been a while since we've cruised on Celebrity, but I recall waiters would carry your trays for you in the Islands Cafe buffet and locate a table for you. Not sure if they still do that. It was a nice touch.

As of last December, The staff still carries trays for people who look like they need a little assistance.

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
cork, cruise, mini, review