Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2006, 07:52 AM

We had a very bad experience on our last cruise with the Munster Drill. has anyone just skipped this part and how?
Old 05-23-2006, 08:07 AM

I've been on 14 cruises and have never been aware of anyone being allowed to skip "muster". I would imagine that everyone would want to attend the fire drills after what happened recently on the Star Princess.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:21 AM

In theory all the areas are canvassed and everyone is to be in the muster station. This is for your protection as well as theirs. You may be able to speak with the purser or cruise director and explain your situation. We normally grab a couple of rum punches with our life jackets and sit back to watch the demo. Sorry you had a bad experience.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:49 AM
Administrator

cannoli,

Could you explain what this bad experience was?

The emergency drill is not optional. It is required by various laws and regulations. Although I have never seen it (I was at the drill), the cruise lines claim they search all cabins and public areas to ensure no one is hiding or otherwise trying to avoid the drill.

Some lines are better at conducting the drill than others. Princess, for instance, musters everyone inside the ship in the air conditioning and doesn't require you to wear the life vest for the whole drill. On our past Celebrity cruises I found the drills to become tediously long, mostly because they went through it in four languages. Some cruise lines can be quite militaristic in conducting the drill - demanding that no one talk and insisting on perfectly aligned rows. On our Mariner Of The Seas cruise in 2004, our muster station leader was quite annoying. She barked out orders like a drill instructor. "No talking. I want it quiet!" "When I look down these rows I should only see the first person in the line!" I wrote up this needless excess on my cruise comment card.

But despite the inconvenience and sometimes annoyance, I will never skip the drill.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:00 AM

cannoli,

I would strongly advise against "just skipping" the lifeboat drill. Not only is it a mandatory drill that is required as a result of international shipping laws, but knowing what to do and where to head in the rare case of a real emergency might very well save your life.

Even after dozens of cruises, I've never even thought about skipping the lifeboat drill. It's as natural for me to attend the lifeboat drills as it is to wear a seatbelt when traveling by car.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 05-23-2006, 09:26 AM

I noticed on the Freedom of the Seas that this is now called the "Passenger Assembly Drill." I don't know if that's unique to that ship, or if all Royal Caribbean ships will now call it this.

Sandy
Old 05-23-2006, 04:01 PM

Why would you want to skip it? That's kind of stupid. In the event of an emergency, you wouldn't have a clue on what to do or where to go. Yeah, it's a little long and hot and the same every year, but I myself go ahead and deal with it because if something should happen, I'd like to know where to go.

And I like the pictures my boyfriend and I take every year wearing our life jackets.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:39 AM

this is some funny stuff. if you had a bad muster experience, you must have had a blast the rest of the time. i mean, enlighten me, how does one have a bad muster experience?
unless it truly was a 'munster' experience and herman, lily and the gang were there. that i could understand. i mean, its wearing a life vest for 5 minutes, usually with a drink in your hand......
Old 05-24-2006, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chemical x:
this is some funny stuff. if you had a bad muster experience, you must have had a blast the rest of the time. i mean, enlighten me, how does one have a bad muster experience?
unless it truly was a 'munster' experience and herman, lily and the gang were there. that i could understand. i mean, its wearing a life vest for 5 minutes, usually with a drink in your hand......
Old 05-24-2006, 05:16 PM

Actually, on some cruise lines, if you skip the drill, they will summon you to a "make-up" one during the cruise. Better to spend those few minutes before sailing than to lose your fun time while underway!

Closed Thread

Tags
boat, called, cruise, cruose, drill, drills, funny, life, lifeboat, line, munster, muster, no, skip, station, stations, tcard