Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2008, 04:39 PM

After reading the posts on this forum for a few months now, we have decided to take the plunge (no pun intended) into the world of cruising. Everyone seems to enjoy cruising so much, that we can't wait any longer to find out what we've been missing. My wife and I will be sailing on the Sovereign on Aug 25 to the Bahamas to celebrate our 15th anniversary. Our first cruise ever, for either of us.

And as if that weren't enough, we have already booked our second one on the Explorer to Bermuda next year (May 23), even before taking our first trip!

I just want to thank you all for the wealth of information you have provided with your knowledge, experiences, and opinions - we received most of the anwers to our questions (and there were lots of them) right here on this board.

Johnboy
Soon to be Newbie Cruiser
Old 07-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Hi Johnboy! Welcome to cruise-chat.

It is always a pleasure to hear that we helped someone take the plunge! I'm sure you won't regret it.

We'll probably pass each other in the airport since I am on the Sovereign for the 3-night cruise on August 22 and will be leaving the ship as you arrive.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:23 PM

johnboy, Welcome to cruise-chat! I hope you love cruising as much as the rest of us on here do. I believe you will. It was very nice of you to say such kind things about our little hang out. I hope you'll join in and chat some more with us. Especially when you get back from your 1st cruise. Can't wait to hear the details.

Cheers, Neil
Old 07-19-2008, 05:42 PM
You have become a cruising addict without ever cruising...I'm impressed.....off on my 20th to Alaska and some more this winter....You will love cruising..to me, it's the best value for the dollar....Happy sailing...

Bob E
Old 07-19-2008, 06:12 PM

Thank you all for the welcomes - I feel at home already.

Dave, we won't be hard to spot as you're disembarking. We'll probably be getting to the pier around 6:00am (too excited to sleep), just to be sure we won't be late! Just look for two people standing there like a couple of deer caught in the headlights - that'll be us.

I'm trying to attach a countdown clock to my signature and as you can see, it didn't work. I read in the posts that we shouldn't use the HTML code, but use the BB instead. I'll keep trying to figure it out.

I intend to post my experience as a first-time cruiser after I return, unfortunately I'll have nothing to compare it with.

Bob really nailed it - I'm addicted without ever cruising! See what power your posts had on me?
Old 07-20-2008, 07:26 AM

We did the Sovereign in March and are booked on it again in Oct. You will really enjoy it. Have a great time.
RCCL Sovereign 3/08
RCCL Sovereign 10/08
RCCL Monarch 4/09
RCCL Navigator 3/10
RCCL Radiance 4/11
Carnival Dream 4/12
Carnival Glory 10/12
Carnival Fantasy 5/13
RCCL Allure 10/13

Need some cruise help?
Old 07-20-2008, 08:09 AM

Bill, I thought I read in one of the posts that the formal dinner was held on the night we were docked in Nassau. Does that means we would have to choose to cut our sightseeing short to attend the formal dinner(we are set for the early seating)? The itinerary shows that we are docked until midnight on that day - thought we'd have a lot of time to explore Nassau.

Is my understanding correct?
Old 07-20-2008, 09:06 AM

Yes you would have to come back early for the formal dinner if you wanted to attend it. We skipped the formal night but only because I put my suitcoat in the garment bag but forgot the pants. You could always go back ashore for a bit after dinner.
RCCL Sovereign 3/08
RCCL Sovereign 10/08
RCCL Monarch 4/09
RCCL Navigator 3/10
RCCL Radiance 4/11
Carnival Dream 4/12
Carnival Glory 10/12
Carnival Fantasy 5/13
RCCL Allure 10/13

Need some cruise help?
Old 07-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Administrator

There really isn't much else the ship can do as far as scheduling formal night. It has to be on the night in Nassau. Formal nights are not done on the first and last nights because of luggage related issues. The second night you are leaving Coco Cay and people don't want to rush around getting dressed up after a day on a beach, and then have to rise early the next morning for the arrival in Nassau at 7am.

The question you need to ask yourself is would you really prefer to be running around Nassau all day and night, or would you like to enjoy the ship? If the answer is the former, then you may as well find someplace to eat dinner ashore. Of course there is nothing to prevent you from going back out on the town after dinner is over. You'd still have 3 or 4 hours. Most passengers will be Nassau'd out by the afternoon and will probably return to the ship for dinner and stay aboard.

I personally plan to maximize my ship time when I am in Nassau next month.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Johnboy-Welcome to a whole different and more relaxing world. Endless hours of adventure and that most rare relaxation await you and yours!
Cruising is the only way to go! Once you try it you never look back! It is the best addiction! I got hooked at age 7-(Many moons ago!) - Mother Ocean always calls!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy

Closed Thread