Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 09:33 AM

We just got back from our cruise on Freedom of the Seas. We had a new cruise director who was stepping in for Richard Spacey while he was attending a wedding, Becky (cruise director for Liberty). He usally does the Bingo while Richard is the cruise director. I must say, I really enjoyed him. He was very energetic. Could do a great impression of Austin Powers. His first name escapes me right now but his last name is Daniels. Really that is his middle name but since his last name is difficult to pronounce they used his middle name as last. Can anyone remind me of his first name?
Carnival Glory 9/06
Mariner of the Seas 5/07
Freedom of the Seas 9/07
Sovereign of the Seas 2/08
Enchantment of the Seas 4/08
Liberty of the Seas 9/08
Independence " 11/08
Freedom of the Seas 5/09

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Didn't you keep any of your Cruise Compasses?
Old 06-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Leigh Daniels.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:06 PM

That's it. Thanks. I thought he did a great job. I am hoping he gets a shot at being a permanent cruise director. However, I hear Richard Spacey is very good. As a matter of fact, Richard joined our cruise in St Marteen or St Thomas and was able to joined the Volleyball team which beat all the guest teams. They had two big guys and the others were good players.
It was a fun trip.
Carnival Glory 9/06
Mariner of the Seas 5/07
Freedom of the Seas 9/07
Liberty of the Seas 9/08
Independence " 11/08
Freedom of the Seas 5/09

Old 06-15-2009, 12:18 PM

I was just wondering, has anyone noticed the price increase in alcohol on the ships. Not only at the Store, but also for consumption onboard. Is this something that just started?

I have a cruise coming up in July and it will be my 10th RCI cruise which will make me a Diamond member. I have heard that the rewards have changed for smaller ships. Does anyone know how exactly it works for Diamond members and the Concierge lounge?
Carnival Glory 9/06
Mariner of the Seas 5/07
Freedom of the Seas 9/07
Liberty of the Seas 9/08
Independence " 11/08
Freedom of the Seas 5/09

Old 06-15-2009, 12:25 PM

Welcome back, Nica. Hope you had a great cruise! Have you booked another? Sure makes easing back into the real world easier. Best wishes!
Old 06-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Administrator

You won't be a diamond member until the cruise is completed. Credits are awarded for completed cruises.

The C&A perks have changed for all ships, not just the smaller ones. But after the outcry they delayed implementation until this coming September. There are many cutbacks but the one with the biggest push back from diamond members is that we will not be able to use the concierge lounge unless we are in a Grand Suite or above. Diamond Plus members will continue to have access. As part of the damage control, RCI will have a nightly complimentary happy hour in a designated ship's bar for diamond members and above - but this only includes wine (and champagne). Beer and cocktails will be sold with a 25% discount.

Read more here
Old 06-15-2009, 02:00 PM

Penny,
Thank you and yes we are booked for Majesty in July. I wanted to get to be a Diamond member this year.

Dave,
You answered my question to a T. However, I had heard that the Diamond lounge will still be available at Freedom class ships and above and in smaller ships you would have wine and champagne at the designated bar and cocktails at 50% discount which is really 25% as you stated.

I just read your link and it seems like diamond lounge is still available on Freedom class ships and Oasis/Allure.

I noticed alot of cut backs. They no longer have the Vitality program where you got free tshirts, backpacks, water bottles etc in exchange for your shipshape/vitality points. I think that this is something new because when I asked at the relations desk, they were not aware of the change and they had to call someone to ask the question. Ryan, sports staff, told me they were vamping it up, but then someone else told me that they were doing away with it so I don't know what is going to happen.

Also, at the welcome back party, they only served drinks for about 20min. Enough time to grab one drink two if you are a fast drinker. I only had time for one drink.
Is Carnival having this many cut back also?
Carnival Glory 9/06
Mariner of the Seas 5/07
Freedom of the Seas 9/07
Liberty of the Seas 9/08
Independence " 11/08
Freedom of the Seas 5/09

Old 06-15-2009, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Yes, as is mentioned in the link on the Freedom class and Oasis class there will continue to be a Diamond Lounge. On the other ships they will have the nightly event with the 25% discount. As for the repeater's party...starting in September it will only be for Platinum and above. Gold members just get recognized at the Captain's welcome aboard reception - and there will be no complimentary cocktails. Just wine and champagne. Read the info at the link I provided closely. They've hidden a lot of changes in the fine print at the bottom.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:18 PM

Oh I forgot to mentioned. They no longer give you a Johnny Rockets cuopon for Platinum members and the price is $4.95 which is a dollar more. The wine tasting coupon is gone. Now, you only have wine tasting at the vintages at the price of $16.95.

The good thing is that the service at the windjammer was much better. You had staff members pointing you to an empty table which was great on busy port days.

Dave,
did you ever take that cruise to become a diamond member. I remember you were one short.
Carnival Glory 9/06
Mariner of the Seas 5/07
Freedom of the Seas 9/07
Liberty of the Seas 9/08
Independence " 11/08
Freedom of the Seas 5/09

Closed Thread

Tags
austin, caribbean, cruise, dave, david, diamond, director, directors, freedom, july, lounge, majesty, powers, royal, seas, september