Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2005, 01:02 PM

Our family plans on taking our first cruise December 19-23 on the Majesty as part of my oldest daughter's high school graduation gift. Lindsay turns 18 in late November and her sister is 14. A couple of questions:

* What kind of weather can we expect in Nassau and Coco Key? I know that it may not be beach temperatures, but will snorkeling and water sports be comfortable?
* Lindsay is looking forward to the disco, but we heard that it is only for the 17 & under crowd. Do they check IDs? We really do not want her hanging out with an adult crowd when she is still in high school.
* We have booked two Superior Oceanview cabins, but could get a Family Suite for an extra $800. Is the upgrade worth it? It seems like the SO rooms are big enough for two people and I don't expect to spend much time in our cabin anyway.
* This seems like an older ship, relative to what else is out there, but does it still provide a good cruising experience, especially for a first-timer?
Old 07-28-2005, 03:00 PM

I think I would keep the two cabins if only for the extra bathroom. I can't imagine three women sharing one and needing to be dressed at the same time.

Old 07-29-2005, 05:56 AM

I have fond memories of the Majesty, and I think it is a good fit for first timers. Granted, it lacks some of the newest cruise ship innovations, but she is still a great ship that offers a good value.

Weather in Coco Cay and Nassau in Dec. is "hit or miss". It could be absolutely beautiful, but then again....(Think: south Florida). The water temperature, however, remains at 72 degrees or above year round.

I do not believe there will be a problem if she chose to go to the teen disco with her sister - but not sure how strictly they enforce the age limits from that end of the spectrum. I doubt they check ID's since there is no alcohol at that venue.

I totally agree with Marian, I would stick with the 2 oceanview staterooms. It is nice to have a bit of privacy and your own space - paticularly since the family suite is more costly. The "upgrade" is not worth it, in my opinion.

BTW - Welcome to cruise-chat!
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 07-30-2005, 07:40 AM

I don't know what the weather will be like during the time you are going. The weather in the tropic usually includes hot weather, sudden short rain showers, and then sunshine immediately after the short thunder storm. You just have to go with the flow. Have each of your family members take a small poncho (you know, the pocket size variety that you use for emergencies on the road), and wear sandals. If it rains, it is not likely to last two long, so you keep your schedule and get a little wet. It is all part of the experience.

My family and I went to Nassau and Coco Key last year on the Sovereign of the Seas. The year before that we went to the same locations on the Magesty of the Seas. I mention this because they were identical ships before the Sovereign's recent overall. Both ships are older, but don't let that dicourage you. We had an interior room on the Magesty which was perfect for two people. We had an ocean view on the Soverign which was okay. The porthole was too small. I am not sure if the Magesty was recently overhauled, but either way you are in for excellent service on this ship, so don't let the age of the ship bother you. If you have a larger room on Magesty, then I don't think you will be disappointed.

CoCo Key is simply perfect. Even if it rains!. The luncheon they serve on the Island during your day there are simply to die for. You will not go hungry. I would suggest getting a hammock early on in the day. It is a wonderful experience to lay on a hammock with the soft warm breeze. When you arrive on CoCo Key, move around the Island after you claim your spot. There are several places to hang out which offer hammocks, drinking services, etc. My kids went snorkeling there and they thought it was wonderful. Explore the unpopulated portions of the Isaland as well. It is a small place and you can easily walk along the back dirt roads. The trees and Roosters are simply interesting. What is more, you are perfectly safe there. The straw shops are the first things you see there. It is a colorful place

Nassua is a nice place. I can't comment on the disco since that is not our thing. When you dock in Nassua, you will see the Atlantis Hotel Immedicately in front of you. You can book a fairly inexpensive tour from RC which typically includes lunch. However, we simply rented a boat ride to the Atlantis for about $3:00 and walked around the Hotel ourselves. It is not a typical Hotel and if you haven't seen it, you should go. They have a underwater aquarium there and there are streams running through the hotel grounds with sharks, turtles, etc. There is also a huge casio if you are in to that. RC provides many tours of the city of Nassua. You can save alot of money buy getting a map (you can purchase these on line and when you get there most of the shops offer them for free once you are there) of the city before you go down there and plan your own tour. For example there is a fort within walking distance of the dock. Also Ardastra Gardens/Zoo is about 1.5 miles from the dock and you can walk there as well. I believe the admission price is about $12.00, but it is worth it. As for the shopping in Nassau. It is okay. But that is not the only thing they offer. Last year was our third trip to Nassua, and there is much we still have not seen. If you do your research and secure a map before you go there, you can save alot of money and avoid the tours. Sometimes those tours are to quick and you don't see everything you would want to see. Or, you see things you may not want to see. We toured the city of Nassua and saw a lot of poverty which was not really that much fun. So prior planning wound benefit you. Oh yeah, one more thing. Stay away for motorcycle rentals unless you are used to driving on the wrong side of the road. There are many taxi services there. Nassua is a wonderful place dispite the poverty in the "inner city" and there is much to see and do there. Last year I took my entire family which was our last "family vacaction" since most of my kids are grown now. It is a memory we will all cherish for the rest of our lives. We are not going there this year, but we would return in a heart beat if we did not have other plans. You have chosen well for your first curise sir, I hope you and your family enjoy the experience. Let me know how it turns out. Feel free to contact me at ekblepo6@bellsouth.net if you have more questions. We are going to Jamica and Grand Cayman this October, this is our 4th curise with RC and our 5th cruise total. I have NEVER been disappointed with an RC curise and you will find it is a great vacation value.
Enjoy, J. Michael Young, Roswell, GA/USA

Originally posted by Kozikowski:
Our family plans on taking our first cruise December 19-23 on the Majesty as part of my oldest daughter's high school graduation gift. Lindsay turns 18 in late November and her sister is 14. A couple of questions:

* What kind of weather can we expect in Nassau and Coco Key? I know that it may not be beach temperatures, but will snorkeling and water sports be comfortable?
* Lindsay is looking forward to the disco, but we heard that it is only for the 17 & under crowd. Do they check IDs? We really do not want her hanging out with an adult crowd when she is still in high school.
* We have booked two Superior Oceanview cabins, but could get a Family Suite for an extra $800. Is the upgrade worth it? It seems like the SO rooms are big enough for two people and I don't expect to spend much time in our cabin anyway.
* This seems like an older ship, relative to what else is out there, but does it still provide a good cruising experience, especially for a first-timer?[/quote]
Old 08-21-2005, 06:31 AM

Our first cruise was a Christmas week cruise on Majesty! The weather was very nice: in the low 70's at Key West and Coco Cay. Considering I'm from the upper Midwest, that was fabulous! The ship will be nicely decorated with Christmas decorations and since we were actually onboard Christmas Day, we had a wonderful holiday meal and even got Christmas presents from RCI! Enjoy!

Closed Thread