Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
To live onboard 50 weeks a year must be very expensive? Do they stay in same ship?
Comparisons have shown that living on a cruise ship is not as expensive as a senior citizens' assisted living facility. Perhaps for some folks, they can live more cheaply on a ship than paying a mortgage on a house or rent, plus food, entertainment, etc. It won't work if you have school-aged children, but for seniors, it's a choice a few have made.

The two people I've met who live on a ship stay on the same ship, in the same cabin. I'm guessing the cruise line must give them some sort of "volume discount" for being aboard for each sailing.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:59 AM

Lorraine, the godmother of the Royal Princess has lived on board for years now. She stays on the same ship for a while, then moves. She has a home in Europe and one in the states and takes off for doctor visits, renewal of licenses, tax time, etc. I asked her to trade with me for just a couple of years, but she just laughed.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Staying in same ship? Do you think is boring?
Old 12-08-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandy:
The system of identifying your portraits is excellent, with every cabin assigned a folder in the Photo Gallery, so you can go right to your folder and not have to look through 6,000 photos on the walls to find yours.
Sandy - do they ask your cabin number every time they take your photo? Just curious as to how they know what photo goes in what folder with all the pictures they take. This does seem like an easier way to do things. Any plans to release this method fleet wide?
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 12-08-2010, 08:44 PM

Michael, when portraits are taken, the photographer slides your room key into the camera, to identify who your are and which folder is yours. Photos like coming down the gangway are still displayed on the walls.

Oasis of the Seas uses this system, too. I haven't heard anything about putting this system in other ships, but I hope they do.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MCPayne:
quote:
The system of identifying your portraits is excellent, with every cabin assigned a folder in the Photo Gallery, so you can go right to your folder and not have to look through 6,000 photos on the walls to find yours.
Sandy - do they ask your cabin number every time they take your photo? Just curious as to how they know what photo goes in what folder with all the pictures they take. This does seem like an easier way to do things. Any plans to release this method fleet wide?

RCCL is also using photo recognition to sort pictures by staterooms. (At least on the Freedom Class ships) They are supposed to ask for your seapass when doing formal pictures but if you get a few random pictures onboard or when exiting the ship at port it is highly likely that they will also by tied to your stateroom. The software uses your seapass photo for the comparison.

If you go to one of the photo kiosks and swipe your seapass you should see all of the pictures that you have taken during your cruise whether you told someone your stateroom or not. Obviously this isnít always the case but they have had a high percentage of them on each of our last couple cruises.

For example, on one cruise my wife had her picture taken on the upper deck while leaving a port with one or friends and when we went to look at our pictures that picture was tied to both our photo account and her friends account since they were both in the picture.

Kind of neat and scary at the same time...
2004 Voyager, Adventure
2005 Explorer
2006 Brilliance
2009 Liberty, Enchantment
2010 Independence, Liberty
2011 Liberty, Freedom
2012 Freedom, Freedom, Independence
Feb 2013 Liberty
Mar 2013 Liberty
Nov 2013 Independence
Old 12-09-2010, 08:04 AM

We had someone else's portraits (2 photos) in our folder, folks we don't know, so I guess there are slip-ups. We did see many photos being displayed on the walls, such as the ones with the pirate, and photos at the bottom of the gangway in Labadee.

There is face recognition software available for home computers, too. My husband has a photo program where you identify everyone once, and it does a good job of labeling those folks in all your other pictures.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
quote:
We'll be on Allure Jan 16th. Your review makes me want to be on her now.
Your cruise is just around the corner! You'll have a great time. Did you sign up in advance for shows?

Everything is booked.

e're really looking forward to this one and to be able to compare the changes vs. the Oasis.

Celebrity Eclipse March 5, 2011
Serenade of the Seas Oct 23, 2011
Old 12-10-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I saw five shows: OceanAria, Chicago, Blue Planet, a "How To Train Your Dragon" family ice show, and the regular ice show whose name escapes me now. They have quite a few things that highlight their association with DreamWorks. The shows were all excellent.
The other ice show was called "Ice Games" a take from board games like Monopoly etc.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:10 AM

Live on board, how does that work and how much does it cost?

The Village Inn & Spa (formerly Rainbow Hotel): St. Lucia Hotel

Closed Thread

Tags
allure, board, citizens, comedians, dragon, fee, food, free, live, places, restaurants, reviews, seas, senior, ships, sign, train