Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 10:31 PM

I had a wonderful time on Allure's 4-night inaugural, as opposed to its first 7-night inaugural, which started today.

Allure is similar to Oasis, but has some different restaurants (like a Brazilian barbeque by night, transformed from the Solarium Bistro), the famous hot dog place, some different stores (Britto, Coach), the fact that Allure is 2 inches longer than Oasis and made of lighter materials. Captain Zini joked that Oasis is the older, shorter, heavier sister.

I saw five shows: OceanAria, Chicago, Blue Planet, a "How To Train Your Dragon" family ice show, and the regular ice show whose name escapes me now. They have quite a few things that highlight their association with DreamWorks. The shows were all excellent.

There was a wonderful jazz quartet in Jazz on 4, and a great Latin band in Boleros. There was a fun parade on the Promenade Deck featuring several of the DreamWorks characters. There were two comedians in the Comedy Club, one of whom I liked better than the other. I think I had seen one, Eric, on the Oasis. I didn't get to several of the onboard entertainment venues in the 4 days aboard.

There were about 4,300 passengers aboard, and it never felt crowded. That ship just swallows up crowds. The kids' pirate performance had maybe 75 kids, none of whom we ever noticed anywhere on the ship until their performance.

The system of identifying your portraits is excellent, with every cabin assigned a folder in the Photo Gallery, so you can go right to your folder and not have to look through 6,000 photos on the walls to find yours. With the 8x10 costing $20 each, I didn't end up buying anything. You can also create a CD of all your photos for $350.

There certainly are many eating opportunities, and of the 4 nights, I ate dinner in the dining room only twice. One night was pizza night, and one night was Johnny Rockets, the only extra charge restaurant I tried. I heard very good things about the others. Free late night snacks including pizza, sandwiches and desserts, are available.

There were so many Diamond and higher passengers aboard, instead of using the Diamond Club at night, there were two nightclubs that were reserved for Diamond level and higher. Free drinks and food were available. There is a Concierge Club for Diamond Plus and higher. Some areas of the showrooms, including the Aqua Theater, are reserved for Diamond Plus and suite guests during the shows, but there was always plenty of good seating for everyone.

Many or most passengers made reservations in advance for the shows, but most shows had room for those who showed up without reservations. I did notice during "Chicago" that people were allowed to stand in the back to view the show.

Because the ship is so wide, it is extremely stable in the water. I hardly ever even felt any motion at all while we were sailing.

It was a lot of fun!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:32 AM

Welcome back, Sandy She sounds marvelous! I really want to try her or the Oasis, just waiting for a good price. I think you'd have to do at least a 10 day if not a b2b to cover everything, like the Epic, there's just so many places to check out.

Would you have wanted to do a 7 day? I know you tend to like shorter cruises. I'd love to live on board

Thank you so much for a great review!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:14 AM

Penny, I would have liked a 7-day if the ship were in a different part of the world. I've been to the Caribbean so many times, I'm reluctant to use a week of vacation on the Caribbean again.

Had I had 7 days, I would have been able to check out the karioke place along with a couple of others I missed. And I may have used the spa, which is absolutely gorgeous. The fitness room is also big and very well equipped.

I've met a couple of people on different cruise ships that live onboard. It's crazy that living on a ship is cheaper than a seniors' facility! The two people I met spend about 50 weeks a year on the ship, taking two weeks away at holiday time to see their families.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:20 PM

We are booked on the Allure Oct 2011 and can't wait. Can you tell me what restaurants are free and which carry and extra fee. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Look at Allure & Oasis Dining
Old 12-06-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Can you tell me what restaurants are free and which carry and extra fee. Thanks.
There are about 23 or 24 places to get food onboard Allure (and Oasis) about half of which are included, and the other half are an extra charge. Some places offer breakfast but charge for lunch and dinner. The pizza place is open until about 3am, and the Promenade Cafe, offering sandwiches and desserts, coffee and tea, is open 24 hours.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:04 AM

I'm sure you'll be back on board, soon. With all those places to eat, you have to do a longer cruise
Old 12-07-2010, 06:16 PM

Welcome back Sandy.

We'll be on Allure Jan 16th. Your review makes me want to be on her now.

Celebrity Eclipse March 5, 2011
Serenade of the Seas Oct 23, 2011
Old 12-08-2010, 07:31 AM
To live onboard 50 weeks a year must be very expensive? Do they stay in same ship?
Old 12-08-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
We'll be on Allure Jan 16th. Your review makes me want to be on her now.
Your cruise is just around the corner! You'll have a great time. Did you sign up in advance for shows?

Closed Thread

Tags
allure, board, citizens, comedians, dragon, fee, food, free, live, places, restaurants, reviews, seas, senior, ships, sign, train