Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Administrator

On the Mariner Of The Seas a few years ago we were at a table for 10. One man at the table made some small comment about the war on terrorism - he supported it like me - and this other guy blew a gasket and started ranting and raving like a idiot. It was an awkward moment for the whole table. The ranters wife tried to smooth it over, but it was pins and needles for the rest of the meal.

I think it showed a lack of class. If you don't agree with something someone says in that social setting, the polite thing is to shut-up and ignore it. However, I knew where the first guy stood on things and we hit it off great for the rest of the cruise.

Ironically, the ranter was a physician who had been in the Air Force and they trained him - sent him to medical school and everything.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I'll want to hear about the things we don't get much chance to chat about here.
Those are certainly safe topics when you know the other guy! As noted in my other post - one needs to tread carefully when you don't know the views of your table mates.

I remember now how the whole thing came up. There was a Naval officer seated near us and he wore his uniform on the formal nights. He was a pilot and the guy at our table made a remark about how "that officer has probably spent some time in Iraq". Oh man! You'd think he had stood up and slapped the doctor in the face! It wasn't as if the first guy had made some hard political statement.

Anyway, I never discuss politics, religion, etc., unless I know the audience!
Old 05-18-2008, 02:31 PM

I don't know why but I'm usually able to have a civil discussion even with those who are 180 degrees the other direction. Of course that's not always the case as there are always some who can't discuss anything including the weather in a civil tone.

My wifes boss is a hard left guy. We agree on virtually nothing. But he's a great guy and I genuinely like him. We go out to dinner together a couple of times a year and you'd think we'd steer clear of politics but we don't. We actually enjoy a little friendly banter. He cuts out articles and jokes and sends them home with Linda for me and I try to find him birthday cards with GW's pic on the front wishing him a mis-spelled happy birthday or something. The guy, despite his political bent has a great sense of humor about it. My wifes dad was a union steel worker all his life in Ohio. They obviously have a different political perspective than I because of his ties to the union. We don't discuss politics at all, ever. I love the guy and respect that he has different views and why he has them. At least he's a lifetime NRA member so I know on at least a few things we agree. He's my elder and wifes father, I feel it would be disrespectful to him for me to push my views on him so I keep it zipped in his presence. I can like you without agreeing with you, I don't understand those that can't accept that others have a different view and have to rant and try to force thier view down your throat.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-18-2008, 02:35 PM

Having spent 20 years in the Air Force this guy sounds to me like one of those that only comes in for the benefit of what the Air Force can do for them; not what they can do for the Air Force. It is obvious he only came in to have his degree paid for. Nine of my twenty years was spent in Recruiting and I know how badly the military needs Physicians and what they will do to get them. This guy sounds like he would be the first to cry "But I didn't sign up to go to war and fight for my country." Guess he forgot about that Oath he took.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
This guy sounds like he would be the first to cry "But I didn't sign up to go to war and fight for my country." Guess he forgot about that Oath he took.
As I recall, he said he did the minimum time required to fulfill his commitment in exchange for the education. He was living the good life as a doctor in Fort Lauderdale. Personally, if the Air Force had sent me through medical school I would have made it a career as a military doctor.

The Air Force was better off with this goob gone though.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Oops! Here I am a dining room fan, giving examples of why one should avoid it. The dreaded table-mates you don't like!
Old 05-18-2008, 04:19 PM

Well, it happens now and then. You probably had more good experiences than bad though.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
You probably had more good experiences than bad though.
Absolutely! In fact, last year's cruise on the Liberty Of The Seas found us seated with a charming woman and her granddaughter. In fact she posted here after the cruise, and we helped her get the proper Crown & Anchor recognition she had already earned. I really liked Mary Lou and we had a great time at dinner with her and her granddaughter (whom my son had a crush on!)
Old 05-18-2008, 04:29 PM

My wife did not think she would like the assigned seating but it was not as bad as she thought and now we eat all our dinners there. We have not tried it for lunch or breakfast yet. Maybe we will do that the next time we go. Like Dave siad if you don't agree with topic just don't get in the conversation.
RCCL Sovereign 3/08
RCCL Sovereign 10/08
RCCL Monarch 4/09
RCCL Navigator 3/10
RCCL Radiance 4/11
Carnival Dream 4/12
Carnival Glory 10/12
Carnival Fantasy 5/13
RCCL Allure 10/13

Need some cruise help?
Old 05-18-2008, 04:53 PM

Hello gang,

Wow, I always find it fascinating how the simplest question can turn into such an interesting thread!

To Dave, Neil and any other "Right wingers" on here...I too am a physician who got paid during some of my training in the Air Force and now I am returning to active duty next month to pay back the five years that I owe them. I was actually an enlisted man for over nine years (an aircraft and weapons mechanic) and used every penny of my G.I. Bill to help pay for my undergraduate school. Then I left the service during medical school, only to re-join during my residency training. I did a civilian residency here in Tucson, but at the same time collected a handsome paycheck from the Air Force in exchange for my first-born and five more years on active duty as a doctor. Unlike Dave's table mate, I am truly grateful for what the Air Force has done for me in my life and I plan on retiring from there as a physician. Many years ago, I was in the Iowa Air National Guard and knew many people who joined for the college money and then were upset when they had to pay the fiddler and get deployed somewhere nasty. It used to really turn my stomach, but now I just laugh at them and wish them well. It always amazes me when people who have never served are all critical of our military. Sometimes I think our country should be like Israel and require everyone to serve at least two years. If we did, we would have fewer unemployed young people sponging off of their parents and probably a better society overall.

On a more relevant note...I really do prefer to eat every meal in the dining room and only went to the buffet twice on my last cruise on the Adventure.

Take care,

Brad

Closed Thread

Tags
avoid, cruise, dining, eat, enlisted, flexible, formal, lunch, navy, night, people, princess, room, tipping, uniform, winjammer