Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2003, 03:52 PM

1st cruise w/RCCL, just hubby and I next Feb. I've been poking around reading reviews on the Soverign. Should I be concerned? They don't seem very good at all (in general). We are on deck 10-superior ocean view stateroom. My main questions--
1) Where NOT to eat
2) Tap water OK? (I have a portable brita)
3) How are the rooms in our category?
4) Room service?
5) Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!
Old 03-28-2003, 03:52 PM

1st cruise w/RCCL, just hubby and I next Feb. I've been poking around reading reviews on the Soverign. Should I be concerned? They don't seem very good at all (in general). We are on deck 10-superior ocean view stateroom. My main questions--
1) Where NOT to eat
2) Tap water OK? (I have a portable brita)
3) How are the rooms in our category?
4) Room service?
5) Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!
Old 03-28-2003, 06:24 PM

We are going on the Sovereign on April 6. I will be happy to let you know how it goes. I do know that you can drink the water. We went on the Majesty two years ago. I think that it's the Sovereign's sister ship. We had a blast on that one.

Pennie
Old 03-30-2003, 01:22 PM

We have sailed the Sovereign and we had a wonderful time. Food is good and entertainment was wonderful.

Sovereign is not one of Royal Caribbean's newer ship, but I would not hesitate to sail it again. I have so much confidence in it, in fact, that I booked almost 500 people onboard this ship this year. They all had a wonderful time. Only a couple of people had any complaints whatsoever about the ship.

If you will tell me you category I will be happy to tell you what I know about that category.

You'll have a great time!
Old 04-09-2003, 07:35 PM

We sailed the Soverign last March and thought it was a good ship. It's layout makes it easy to find places because the public rooms are generally on one end of the ship and cabins on the other. The food was good and the water is OK to drink. Did'nt get to stay in a cabin like yours but did sneak a peek into some, they looked very nice! We did room service a few times late in the evening. The menu was somewhat limited but not too bad. (subs,pizza,cookies,chips,pop etc.) We did find it difficult to communicate any changes to the menu so I hope you like your subs as they're made because thats how you'll get them. Room service did take a long time to arrive, sometimes 45 minutes or more. We tipped the delivery person $2 - $3 each time. Hope you have fun. If you think of anything else I'll try to help.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:21 PM

We went on the Sovereign in April 2003, and had a blast!
~H2O~The water in the dinning room and Windjammer tasted great. I'm very picky about water.
~Our Room ~We had an ocean view room, but it was little and on the 3rd floor. Our cabin was really cute. It was clean and pretty....It was tiny, but cozy...There were lots of places to store things. The bathroom was small, but I was prepared for that...There was some discoloration on the shower floor, but I don't think it was mold. It was stained grout. The shower was clean, and the bathroom too. We never saw our room attendant , but he kept our room spotless. We never had to ask for fresh ice, or towels. He somehow snuck in our room for turn down service each night...He left towel animals, and mints too....
~Food~The food in the dinning room was really really good ( "A" quality). The dinning room was beautiful. The food in the Windjammer was just ok ( C+). The Windjammer did have a nice salad bar, and yummy desserts.
We didn't eat at the midnight buffets, but our table mates did. They said the pool side buffet was fabulous...They also had some great pizza somewhere.
There is an ice cream machine in the Windjammer that is great! The ice cream is really light and icy. We miss that machine!
~Room service~We ordered room service for breakfast one morning. The food came fast, and it was just right. I preferred eating in the dinning room, because the selection was better.
~Activities on the ship~ We played bingo...That was fun! ......We took part in some of the contests, and that was a riot....We watched the follies, and they were great. We enjoyed watching a movie in the theater....The theater was small, so get there early. We really enjoyed walking outside in the fresh air. We were able to find many places where we could enjoy the sea alone....
~Ports~ Co Coa Cay was wonderful. It's a tropical paradise. The BBQ was tasty, and they had a wonderful Caribbean band entertaining us while we ate. The beach was beautiful...breathtaking.... We had so much fun on the two person jet ski tour....We could see some people on the Kayak tour, and it looked boring...We enjoyed floating around on our beach mats, and checking out the sea life.
~Nassau~ We didn't really give Nassau a try....We took one look at it, and headed for Paradise Island....Some people really enjoyed their Nassau shopping , but we didn't try it....Paradise Island had a gorgeous beach!!! We toured Atlantis, and that was pretty, but the beach was better! If I could have swam in the Atlantis pools I might have liked it more....On Paradise beach the water is turquoise, and a little turbulent. The water was nice and warm.....We rinsed off at the showers provided by the Atlantis, and nobody complained.....It looked like there were some cute little eateries just across from the Atlantis....
We will try the Sovereign again! It was so fun!!!!
Old 05-05-2003, 07:53 PM

I have been on Sovereign of the Seas twice, was just on her this time last week.

Both cruises were great and different in the approaches that we took. The important thing to remember is that Sovereign of the Seas is the oldest RCCL ship, and she is of the smallest in the RCCL fleet. If you are expecting the grandeur of ships like Voyager, you may be disappointed. Quite frankly, I have only cruised on Sovereign of the Seas and don't care if I ever cruise any other ship, I just like the vibe of the ship and the fact that you can live it up or relax, just as you can with the other ships.

Food - Personal, very personal.

The first cruise we ate at both the Windjammer and the dining room. All dinners in the dining room, which is a must. This past time we ate most meals in the dining room. Here are our exceptions to that. Day one lunch is only available in the Windjammer. The spinach feta quiche was to die for. On Co Co Cay day we ate at the Windjammer instead of on the island, it was a timing issue. One lunch we had in Nassau, but it was very early, so later that day we had a snack at the Windjammer. The spring rolls are awesome! Fresh fruit exceptional. The food at the Windjammer was better this time than last, so I think it depends somewhat on who is working behind the scenes and what your taste is. Last cruise we ate breakfast in the Windjammer almost each day, but this time I wanted to stay clear of that buffet because the food is so good. I chose healthy choices in the dining room. I think the food was even better in the dining room at dinner this time, too, I did not think it could be better than last time. The prime rib on the last night was awesome, the best I have had. The portions are generally small. I like that, but I know some people do not, they want big meals. Don't be shy about asking for more than 1 of whatever it is you want, the waiters like that. Oh yeah, be sure at the Venetian Feast that you get some of that foccacia bread, it is to die for.

It is my personal experience that that water on board is extremely clean and tastes great, even from the tap.

You will probably have a great room. I went to the gym each evening at the time of day when a lot of the stateroom attendants are cleaning rooms, as I walked through the deck 10 hallways on the way to the gym, I could sometimes get a glimpse of the rooms and to me they were very nice. However, do not expect giant rooms no matter what.

I never used room service.

If you have any questions, please e-mail.

WWdana32@aol.com

Dana

Sovereign of the Seas 12/22/02
Sovereign of the Seas 04/27/03

Sovereign of the Seas 9/4 and 9/7
Old 05-30-2003, 05:31 PM

what type of excursions are offered? I will be going in November... anyone gone during that time frame.
Old 06-01-2003, 06:02 PM

I went on the Majesty which is the Soverign's sister ship, although these are smaller older ships, you will enjoy it none the less, RCCL takes care of all their ships. The drinking water is very good and the Windjammer Cafe always has the best quality and food selection around. I've never tried room service, but I wouldn't doubt at all that the service would be any less than if you were served in the dining room. Have fun and enjoy your cruise!

Amy
Old 06-04-2003, 02:40 PM

Check out: http://www.cruisereviews.com/
go to Sovereign of the Seas. The newest reviews are awsome. Hope this helps.

Tamera

Closed Thread

Tags
cabin, ms, soverign