Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2008, 09:03 AM

Eventually I am sure we will try one but I am in no hurry. We love the Voyager class due to the Promenade however the Radiance class is our favorite. They can't be matched for services and beauty (in our opinion).

The smaller ships like Empress are also great but a much different sailing experience... More intimate. By the time you get off of the ship you feel like you know everyone.

RA
Old 06-19-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I believe that that the Oasis? Class ships will be the most economical ships on the high seas with the lowest amount of fuel burnt per passinger. I predict that with the passage of time they will end up being the lowest cost with the small ships being the higest cost.
I'm not sure your prediction will come to pass. The reason is, despite lower costs for whatever reason, the pricing in the industry is all based on demand and availability. The demand will be high based on their previous ventures that led to this ship. Voyager Class ships still come at a premium over similar sailings with other ships and lines in most markets. Simply look at pricing for Explorer of the Seas vs. other ships from the NY area ports. Or pricing in Galveston, Port Canavaral, San Juan or any port that they sail from where they compete with other ships. The Voyager of the Seas is now nearly a decade old and still commands and gets higher rates than her competition. Freedom Class, the second in this lineage is able to hold much higher rates than other ships to the same ports. As long as supply and demand is the determining factor and the demand is high for these ships, the pricing will be as well. You'd think after all this time and with bigger better offerings coming around that it would be dificult to continue to fill such large ships and the pricing would reflect this and be lower on the really large ones. So far, the demand for having all the goodies has been worth the difference in cost over their competition in nearly every market they enter. Oasis will be no exception.

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-19-2008, 11:06 AM
I keep thinking the same thing about Las Vegas: at some point the supply is going to exceed the demand and the prices will drop--but it just dosen't happen; and they keep building.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Have they made a choice where this big sucker is going to dock? What ports could handle her without too much change?
Old 06-19-2008, 12:20 PM

We would like to try it, just to see the ship. But if the prices are too high, we only get balconies, then its out.

Emerald Princess-11/30/08
Celebrity Century-1/8/09
Old 06-19-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I don't need to be overwhelmed and continually amused and entertained. Even the largest ships at present hold no appeal for me. If anything, I plan to gravitate toward smaller ships.
Come on Rick, it doesn't peak your interest or curiousity just a little? I think I know why you have the hesitation in interest. You think of crowds and too many people. I wondered that too, but after sailing the big ships, they actually, often felt less crowded than some smaller ones I've been on. They devote so much of the ships space to areas of interest, entertainment venues and other things that you rarely feel like you're on a ship with that many other guests. At times I've wondered what they did with everybody. There are some issues from time to time getting on and off that you wish there weren't quite so many others around but during sailing it's amazing how well distributed people are and where they all could be.

I think at least once, everyone who cruises should try one of these citys on the water. They truly are amazing ships. I love them, maybe not as much as Sonny, but I still love them. I like cruising on them and I get very good and consistent reviews from folks sailing on each of them. I don't have to ever worry about having someone come off the ship and not having enjoyed their experience. That's not true of many ships. They're certainly not the right choice for everyone, but how can you know they're not for you until you get onboard and experience one? Even folks who have booked that prefer small ships have very good things to say about their experience, even if they say it was a one time thing and they probably won't do it again. There are certainly some of those. Some who tell me that fall in love with the experience and are less thrilled with the smaller ships afterward. I don't think that'll be my friend Rick but I would like to see you try it just once. I'd just love to see that review after the cruise.

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-19-2008, 04:04 PM
Okay, I'm busted! I am just a little curious. And most of the things I say about Oasis, I said about Grand Princess before I ever sailed her--and we know how that ended up.

So Neil, for you--and only for you--I will commit to a cruise on Oasis or one of her sisters in the not-to-distant future.

Now somebody go and pick Sonny up off the floor.

Rick
Old 06-19-2008, 04:34 PM

Wow! Never expected that post! I can't wait to read the review from that cruise. I love to hear/read peoples experiences when they step out and try something they haven't before. One of my next few will definately be a Princess with the family. Will be my first with PCL in many years. I'm actually looking forward to it. The reason I'm excited to try them again is, Rick and Penny both love them, my parents love them, I need to know what I've been missing. These are all folks who's judgement I trust so I'll put aside my vow of never again and be expecting a wonderful cruise.

Rick you're the man. I have always counted on you for great advice and you've never let me down. What PCL ship and itin should I choose? It'll probably need to be late summer, fall or winter of 2009. I've already promised my sons I'd be taking them this fall and they want Carnival this time. I missed my December cruise last year with medical isses and only got one cruise in. I can't go in the first quarter af any year, wave season, I have to work. Then I won't get on a ship in the summer months because of the crowds, heat and extra expense. So... fall or winter of 2009, you can pick my cruise for me.

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-19-2008, 07:59 PM
Well Neil, there's a challenge--pick a cruise for a friend who just happens to be a professional. But why not! I'll just go about it the way I would pick one for myself--by process of elimination.

Okay, Princess in Fall or Winter, 2009. It would have to be after Labor Day but before Christmas; and not interfere with Thanksgiving. Long flights are completely out for the foreseeable future; and I'm inclined to warm-weather cruises. So Europe, Asia, South Pacific and South America are off the table. It's too late in the season for Alaska and I'm pretty ho-hum about New England and Canada. I won't cruise to Hawaii any more for only four ports (I'll move to HAL for Hawaii). And I sense you wouldn't care for a 14 or 15 day Panama Canal cruise--too many sea days.

So that leaves us with the Mexican Riviera, the Caribbean and the Panama Canal R/T from Florida. While the partial canal transit is okay, the rest of the itinerary is not: Ocho Rios, Limon, Cristobal and Cartagena just don't do it for me; Aruba is nice, but you're only there 6 hours. Scratch Panama Canal.

Sapphire Princess is one of my favorite ships (the other two being Island Princess and Sea Princess). And because of my location, the Mexican Riviera is always an easy pick; but there is not much "WOW" factor in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo; and I'm trying to impress YOU with Princess--I'm already sold.

Which brings us to 7 day Caribbean cruises. Emerald and Crown Princess both have great Eastern and Western itineraries R/T from Ft. Lauderdale; although the Emerald's Eastern looks best.

BUT--you missed your December cruise last year so you owe yourself something special;
so the cruise for you is (drum roll, please) the 10 day Eastern Caribbean Islander on Ruby Princess on November 4, 2009. New ship, great itinerary, minimal flying; Neil, this is the cruise for you!

Now, was that so hard?
Old 06-20-2008, 05:53 AM

Or, the Sea Princess 14 day, from Barbados. I'm thinking about that one, or the Ruby, or maybe a Panama Canal but the R/T from Ft. Lauderdale. I'd like the complete transit better, but I don't know how I'd do air fare. If I drove to Ft. Lauderdale, it'd be a one way from LAX back to Lauderdale, then have to drive back to Alabama. That would definitely chew up some vacation time.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruises, forums, google, oasis, sail, ship