Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2008, 09:04 AM

My husband claims he will be sitting the Genesis class out. We have sailed the Voyager class exclusively for a number of years, and threw in the Liberty (which he felt was really too big for him)but are back to the Voyager class, much fun as we had with the flow rider. I may grab a daughter and give the Oasis a whirl, however. Prices will be the determiner. Got a great deal out of San Juan this year on Adventure--beat the Freedom class out of Florida--even with four $500 airfares to San Juan from MSP. I want to be able to go every year and am willing to look for the deal to make this happen--don't see the Oasis being a "deal" for a decade or so! None of these ships port in Minnesota and with the cost of airfare . . .
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-20-2008, 10:12 AM

It's way to big for my taste but I'm sure it'll be a big seller with the crowd. The Voyager Class ships are about as big as I can tolerate. When the price drops to reasonably I'd give it a whirl just to say I did it.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:13 PM

Rick, thank you very much for your assistance. You made a very good decision and I'm now booked for Ruby Princess for Nov. 4th of 2009.

Think I'll buy one of those future cruise credits while onboard so I get some extra goodies on my next PCL cruise after that one. It's a good time for stepping out of my comfort zone, I always said I had no desire to go to Alaska but now I'm feeling like I may give that a shot in the future as well. Rick how do you feel about the Star Princess? I like the R/T Seattle idea and there are some good rates for late season in 2009, I may do both. Looking at Sep 13th for Star. What do you think?

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Wow! I can't believe you actually booked it. Well, why not! It's the one I would have picked for myself. Now I have an inkling of how you must feel when advising customers.

Star Princess is the one of the three sisters (Grand, Star and Golden) I have not been on. But one of the things I like about Princess is the consistency of service and the way the ships are maintained throughout the fleet. So I would not hesitate to recommend Star Princess. It won't have as many "goodies" as Ruby Princess, but you will find them very similar.

And if you are not doing a cruisetour, the Inside Passage is a much better idea; getting into and out of Seattle is easier than Vancouver and Anchorage.

September 13 is probably the last sailing of the season, and as we both know, the odds of less-than-perfect weather go up; but then you can have crummy weather in June and July--weather in Alaska is always a crap shoot. So, knowing all that out front, if you think the price is right, go for it!

Rick
Old 06-20-2008, 03:14 PM

Yep, the price is what got my attention. I always either do inside or balcony based on cost and how many sailings I'm planning in one stretch. I know everybody recommends balconies for Alaska (I do too often) but for this one, the inside is dirt cheap and with the weather concerns you and I both know to be prepared for I'm not sure how much I'd use it. I really don't have much desire for an Alaska itin, I'm not sure why it doesn't appeal to me, but it will be valuable to me for other obvious reasons to do one. I think I'll go ahead and book it too. I can get it out of the way and say I've been there, done that, with little cost. Next will be getting my wife to agree, she's never really wanted to do Alaska either, she likes warmer climes too. I'm booking the wrong time of year, the wrong cabin and for the wrong reasons to a place I don't care to visit. I wonder if anyone on here will ever listen to my advice again, even I don't always follow it. Betcha I'll still have a great cruise!

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-20-2008, 07:41 PM

I'm sure we'll give her a try. Like Dave, we're going to give it a few months to get the kinks worked out. I just want to see this sucker and say I was on her.

On some of the comments about ship size......we just returned from Enchantment yesterday and we felt much more crowded on her than on Voyager or Liberty. Especially in the WJ and around the pool. Funny though, we did Majesty in January and we didn't feel that crowded.

Celebrity Eclipse March 5, 2011
Serenade of the Seas Oct 23, 2011
Old 06-20-2008, 08:45 PM

I am like some other posts,I will sail Oasis only after it has been sailing for awhile and most likely only once because of the price.
CCL Elation 2005
CCL Pride 2006
RCCI Splendor 2006
RCCI Serenade Hawaii 2007
RCCI Serenade Alaska 2008
CCL Ecstasy 2008
RCCI AOS 2009
RCCI Voyager 2009
CCL Conquest 2010
CCL Ecstasy 2010
Old 06-21-2008, 04:48 AM

I am wanting to try RCI. This ship will not be my first pick. Heck, I would already be lost on a Royal Caribbean ship. This would be like walking around Disney World with a map everyday.

Dwayne
Old 06-21-2008, 05:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Now that we've been hearing all the things that Oasis will have to offer, is there anyone that has already decided that they WON'T be sailing on it, and why?
As I'm not one to "never say never," I'll simply state that it's highly unlikely I'll sail on this class of ship. I am one to prefer the intimacy of smaller ships, which I define in the 30K-60K range. I also know I won't use many of the amenities that have been announced. The itineraries don't thrill me, either.

That all said, I would not turn down the opportunity for a ship tour. She does look amazing, even if not my cup of tea for a vacation.

LisaP
Old 06-21-2008, 03:57 PM

The biggest thing for me is going to be the price. I went on two fairly large Carnival ships, Valor and the Conquest, and then I went on the Jewel of the Seas this last December. Even though there was a little more to do on the Valor and Conquest, the Jewel was an absolutely beautiful ship which I loved.

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruises, forums, google, oasis, sail, ship