Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2006, 12:50 PM

Can anyone give advice on which remedy would be best? Also, is it different for children than adults. The wrist band seems like it would drive me nuts- from what I read on WebMd.com it sounds like it pinches. I can't see my children or myself wanting to keep that on- especially for formal nights when I am all dressed up. Where does the patch go if we go that route? Does the pill make you sleepy?
Thanks for any and all help.
Also, do any of these methods require a Rx from the doctor?

Palladium Resorts
Old 09-16-2006, 12:57 PM

The patch goes behind your ear. No one can answer how you will react to these different remedies. Just like any medicine, one persons body chemistry can react different than anothers. The patches are prescribed. You can buy the pills over the counter. There's also the chance you may not even need anything. Some people simply eat green apples, crackers, or ginger.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:36 PM

We used the wrist bands only when needed. My husband and I plus the kids really didn't get sea sick. I hear the pills and patch will make you sleepy. When my husband felt a little sea sick he would slip on the band and soon he was all better. But like all things everthing work diferently for everyone.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:24 PM
We found an over the counter chewable pill in the "store" area of the Atrium. It started with a "B", and came in a 8-10 pill pack for a few dollars. My wife started thinking about being sea sick as soon as the Captain mentioned that the seas MAY be a little choppy for a bit while we were at the life boat drill, and that if you may get sea sick, take whatever you had brought. The pills worked fine, and she had no further problems. Mostly seen on board were the patch behind your ear. ATTEMPT to not think about it-cruise ships are usually so large that minor rough or chop hardly had any effect. Enjoy yourselfs and try to not doom the trip with worry before you even get on board.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:48 PM

If you don't take something for sea sickness before you sail on rough seas, nothing will work as well. Everyone seems to have a remedy for this dilemma. Which one really works? Well, after 30 plus cruises you would think you should learn what works best. I don't get sick sea. I made up my mine after a fishing trip years ago that I wasn't going to go though that ever again. Maybe that's why wristbands will work with some people, it's like a placebo. I just don't think about it. My wife can get sick by just reading while driving in a car. She wears the patch and never gets sick on a cruise. She put one on before we sail and changes it ever three days. She even wears it a week after a cruise. Some people get sick after the cruise. I even feel the house moving for a week or so if we had rough seas on our cruise. In 32 cruises we only had about 4 that had heavy seas. This should tell you something. Chances are you will feel some movement during a cruise. Will it make you sick? I rather doubt it. My advice would be to come prepared. Bring what ever floats your boat. But, I'd put my money on the patch if your prone to motion sickness. Before you sail you should know the conditions of the seas. Take what ever you choose before you set sail if there is word that conditions are going to be bad. I hope this will be of some help...

Sonny
Old 09-16-2006, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lola-1:
I hear the pills and patch will make you sleepy.
The patch will not make you sleepy.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:06 PM

The OTC remedy mentioned earlier starting with B is Bonine. You can also use ginger, which is a natural remedy, they have ginger tablets or candy in health food stores. Some people have also suggested green apples. Best wishes!!
Old 09-19-2006, 02:08 PM

I am the Queen of Motion Sickness! I can't ride in the back seat of the car, I can't read while in a moving vehicle, just the sight of Roller Coasters makes me nauseous, and I most definitely do not cruise without my best friend- Dramamine (Actually, I use the Wal-Mart generic and it works just as well). I have taken the pills since my very first cruise and decided after my 3rd that I would try to go without them.. Not a good idea! This is not like a roller coaster that you can just get off. You can't keep the pills down and I ruined an entire evening by being so sick. If you even question that you will get sick, I strongly recommend that you take something. I see alot of people with the patches and they seem to do well. Also... it is true that meds affect everyone differently, but I personally never feel drowsy while on dramamine. Best of Luck to you!

Caribbean Hotels & Resorts
Old 09-19-2006, 07:32 PM

That sounds just like me- I would love to be able to read in the car, etc, but it is impossible. Even glancing at a map makes me sick. So to Jim who says "don't doom the trip with worry" does not understand us. What I am trying to do is keep from "dooming the trip" by making sure I don't waste my time over the toilet because I did not prepare for what I know to be.
Thanks to all of you for your help. Great advice that I will surely take.

Palladium Resorts
Old 09-19-2006, 08:16 PM

We don't get sea sick however I know some who do. But whatever you take do not overdose on it. I took my sister-inlaw and her hubby on a cruise 12 years ago on the Oceanic which in her day was a large ship and they overdosed and were sicker than if they had not taken anything. If you chose not to take anything (drugs) I recommend the wrist band (and it does work for a lot of people) because if you find you are ok you can take it off. You can't un-take medication. Also if you feel queesy hang out around the middle of the boat till it passes.

St. Martin Hotel Reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
band, bands, cost, counter, cruise, motion, patch, patches, pills, sea, seasick, seasickness, sick, sicknees, sickness, wrist