Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2008, 05:13 AM

Dave - we're taking our 2nd cruise this summer, 1st with RC. if you buy a bottle of liquor on an island & don't open it will they take it away while boarding ship? What if your wanting to take it home?
Old 06-27-2008, 05:25 AM

Dave is on a cruise right now, so I'll help out. They will take a bottle of liquor from you and return it on the last night of the cruise.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:42 AM
Administrator

We are sitting at gate A12 of SEA right now waiting for our 11:45 flight to ATL. The airport has access to AT&T wi-fi so I can use my home account to log in for no extra fee.

Very smooth debarkation this morning. As I said, we used luggage valet so our bags were checked with Delta and all we had was our carry-on items when we left the ship. We had barely got seated in the Diamond/Platinum private debarkation lounge when they called for us to leave. This was at 7:50am. We were in our shuttle and headed to the airport by 8:10. Funny how Customs can be so foreboding in Miami but so easy in Seattle. We literally waved our passports at the officer and never stopped walking. They just kept waving us through. A cruise line employee then collected the declarations. I guess when a cruise goes to Alaska and Canada there is less concern over security and customs issues.

Captain Bjorn Johansen is a great officer and fun person. He is actually doing relief duty and is supposed to be on his 10 weeks off. He is filling in for the Captain who is supposed to be on duty but is on his honeymoon. Bjorn will return home to Miami after the next cruise (I think that is what he said).

He told us we got closer to a glacier than any other cruise ship has done. He told us it was 600 feet from Dawes Glacier but it looked to be more like 300 feet. He e-mailed a photo to the RCI Fleet Captain (I think that is Captain Bill Wright) taken from the port bridge wing showing the glacier. Captain Bjorn said the reply was "are you crazy?"

This has been a thoroughly wonderful cruise. We ended up with the best dinner mates ever after the shuffling around ended on the 3rd night. Great people. You know it when we were all hugging goodbye last night.

Superb crew. Friendliest and most helpful we've had on any cruise, on any line.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Superb crew. Friendliest and most helpful we've had on any cruise, on any line.
What a strong endorsment for Rhapsody! I sailed her in 2006 and felt the same way then. At that time, Dan Dan the party man was CD and we had a Flilpino waiter that was as funny as the comedian on the ship and very personable and engaging. Everyone in his sections loved the guy. Bjorn was the Captain at that time too and had his family onboard at the time of our sailing so he wasn't quite as accessible for our cruise, I didn't get a chance to meet him. I did feel like everyone on the staff of the ship when I sailed her was exceptional as well. That is usually a sign of a great Captain.

Dave, I'm really happy to hear you had such a great cruise. It'll be good to have you back though. Cruise-Chat isn't quite the same when you're away. Always seems like somethings missing when you're not posting regularly. So, welcome back!

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-27-2008, 01:40 PM

Dave, maybe now you can understand why my last 46 cruises were on Royal Caribbean. Arn't you about 1 cruise away from becoming a diamond member?

Sonny
Old 06-28-2008, 03:45 AM

Welcome back, Dave!

Hope your last leg of the flights went smoothly. I am sure you have a ton of things to catch up on, and the time difference too.

Can't wait to see your pictures when you have time.

Dwayne
Old 06-28-2008, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Thanks everyone.

A significant thing about my ringing endorsement of Rhapsody...the Vision class of ships is my least favorite so the crew really made a difference. The Rhapsody motto is "the friendliest ship on the seas". This was certainly true for us.

Flights were fine but I am dragging this morning because of the time changes.

Sonny, yes, I need one credit to reach Diamond. I'm trying to figure out how to get it, and soon just in case they change the rules.

I'll post a photo later showing how close we got to Dawes Glacier.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:09 AM

Welcome back, Dave! Glad to hear you had such a great time. Did you wonder why you waited so long to see Alaska?

Sandy
Old 06-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Did you wonder why you waited so long to see Alaska?
Yeah, the thought crossed my mind a few hundred times! It isn't an itinerary I want to do often because of the overall cost, but we'll do it again sometime - perhaps the long haul from Seward.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Welcome back, Dave. I have a feeling we'll also be considering a one-way with land tour after returning from our own Inside Passage cruise in August. Hmmm.... do I sense another possibility for a cruise-chat cruise?

I look forward to your review once you've had a chance to catch up. I've found it usually takes me the same number of days to recover as the number of time zones traveled.

LisaP

Closed Thread

Tags
activities, caribbean, carribean, cruise, cruises, curfew, curfews, day, employee, policy, radiance, rccl, rci, royal, ship, wifi