Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 05:43 AM

I have a very expensive Nikon SLR camera that I really want to use on our cruise. Photography is my hobby. However, we are doing several excursions that include water activities (Dunns River Falls, Dolphin Swim, Snorkeling, etc.) I don't want to take any chances of damaging it or having it stolen, but I know I could get some really great shots of the sights and our family enjoying their vacation.

Any advise?

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-29-2009, 06:59 AM

Some of the most amazing shots are gotten in places where the camera is most at risk.

That's one of the reasons the shots seem so breathtaking.

Take all the usual precautions. Buy a really nice zip log vinyl bag that's waterproof for carrying near water. Keep your prized possessions in the safe when you're not using them. Never put an expensive camera down on a cocktail table and run to the lavatory thinking you'll "just be a minute." Use the fanny pack.

That's why people do those things. So they bring back the kinds of shots you're going to bring back.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Climbing up Dunn's River Falls is not a good idea with an SLR hanging off your neck. Too many opportunities to slip and fall. The usual drill is the guide will offer to take everyone's cameras since he has the surest footing. He'll then stop at key locations for photo ops.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:52 AM

Be aware the guides at the Dunn River Falls like to grab your camera and take pictures of you while climbing up the falls. If you don't want this, then use a firm "No Thank You". Also, be sure you have good shoes for climbing the falls. You can bring your own or rent water shoes.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:26 AM
A Scuba equipment store will have some very nice waterproof bags....and WATCH your step and your equipment at the falls....Equipment can be replaced easily...body parts...not so easily..
Happy Sailing....

Bob E
Old 12-29-2009, 09:31 AM

Our guide at Dunns had a whole complement of cameras around his neck and took great shots of us. He seemed to remember who had which camera (no pics of strangers on my equipment!). He is like a mountain goat in the water and my camera is worth about $270 to replace and Dunns was one of the first stops. I was nervous!
RCCL Explorer 2003, 2005
RCCL Navigator, 2004, 2007
RCCL Mariner 2006
RCCL Liberty 2008
RCCL Adventure 2009

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 12-29-2009, 10:15 AM

I probably carry more gear than most people. I use a Canon 50d DSRL.I have a Vortex storm jacket for my camera. I have only used it a few times but it has kept my camera and lens dry. It folds up to a nice small compact package that will fit in your hand when not in use.
Storm Jacket

Closed Thread