Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2008, 04:32 PM

there is that old saying " i dont know much about art, but i know what i like". I have always wanted to buy a piece of art at the auctions on board, until i read this
http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_cruise_a...scam_fraud.htm

Sonny V and Dave B in need help

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Administrator

I've never liked the art auctions on cruise ships. I wish they would go away, but they won't. About all they are good for is some free champagne. The endless hype and space they take up really gets on my nerves.

I'd never buy anything from them and my advice is to avoid them (unless you want a couple glasses of the bubbly).
Old 06-05-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dodonnell72:
there is that old saying " i dont know much about art, but i know what i like". I have always wanted to buy a piece of art at the auctions on board, until i read this
http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_cruise_a...scam_fraud.htm

Sonny V and Dave B in need help
I usually visit the art auctions to get a glass of champagne, but would never consider purchasing anything on the ship. If you find something you like for $20- great. But who would ever consider purchasing something without getting more information about it. The articles you referenced were a real eye-opener.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-05-2008, 08:59 AM

We went to one art auction. It was an eye opener watching people buy $20K worth of art. I'm no expert but even I was questioning why something that had so many copies of could be worth so much. I don't go anymore, I don't need a glass of champagne that badly.

The article makes it very clear that my concerns were justified. IAnd its not just art, but many of the other things you think of buying while on a cruise (on or off ship) So many times we have looked at something and thought - wow that must be a cheap price, we should get it now, only to hold off and find it online so much cheaper when we get back home.

If there is something you think you shouldn't pass up, go to the ship's internet cafe and search for it online and get a price. Then you will know how much you would be truly saving.
It is worth the cost of the internet usage to save yourself.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 06-05-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
If there is something you think you shouldn't pass up, go to the ship's internet cafe and search for it online and get a price.
That's a great idea. I'm always reluctant to buy anything on the ship, or even in a port, unless I'm very familiar with the type of item, and have a good idea what that very item would sell for at home. If it's something on the ship, when one has access to the internet, it's a great idea to check it out.

I know of a couple who bought art at a ship's art auction. It came with a Certificate of Authenticity. They went to an art dealer at home to have it framed, and it turns out they were the ones who were framed.

Sandy
Old 06-05-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandy:
it turns out they were the ones who were framed.
ZING! nice play on words

I dunno - If rich people who have too much money are too dumb to do a little research before buying something with a $20k pricetag, I say let 'em. That's a source of revenue for the cruiseline, which helps keep other costs down for the rest of us.

But I do feel bad for the "average joe" who maybe spent a reasonable amount, only to get home and find out they were taken.

Closed Thread

Tags
art, auction, auctions, caribbean, champagne, cruise, jack, kind, motel, profile, reviews, royal, sailorjack, sea, served