Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2008, 07:24 AM

I am not new to crusing. I cruised on my honeymoon (16 yrs ago). But am new to cruising with teenagers. My boys will be 13 and 15 when we go on our cruise (11/08). Should I be worried about petifiles or them falling overboard? If not, what should I be worried about? Like what not to do on a cruise w/teen agers.

Caribbean Vacation
Old 01-10-2008, 08:54 AM

Good Question Rene,

I am traveling with 2- 16 year old girls and a 11 year old boy.. and some of thier friends and families are going also. I think i am goign to buy a 4 pack of walkie talkies just to make sure we have no prob staying in touch if they want to go off and do their own thing.. i will let you know howit goes.

El Greco: Jamaica Resort
Old 01-10-2008, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the tip. I think I will invest in them. Have fun on your cruise.

Caribbean Vacation
Old 01-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Most of the trouble teens board get into is of their own doing....Loud, smart alec, disrespectful...but then I've sailed some that were wonderful..a ship is just a like a small city...as for falling overboard...it's almost impossible unless you are trying to or screwing around...There are events for teens and most seem to enjoy them..at least it keeps them from getting bored. As far as BAD people on board...there probably are some...the kids have to be alert of what's around them....just like they would have to do on land...but I'm sure you will have a great time and the kids will too...Happy Sailing..

Bob E
Old 01-10-2008, 09:22 AM

Rene- Sounds like your intent on worrying about something! Sure you can worry about those things if you want to. But I wouldn't.

Failing over board? When you get on the ship, go to the top deck, take them over to the railing. Point to the water below and tell them the impact of the water from that height will mostly likely kill them alone, but if they should happen to survive, the ship would never know they fell overboard and keep going (Assuming the props didn't chew them up) then they would be treading water in the middle of the ocean. (At least until a shark came along). Then say, don't goof around near the rails, even as a joke. If they still manage to fall overboard it's Darwinism at work. (I say this with tongue in cheek of course ) A firm warning of the dangers of fallin goverboard should make sure they don't goof around.

Seriously though, they would have to be doing something really dumb to fall over board. The railings are very high so it doesn't happen purely by accident.

As far as your other concerns, you can always worry about something. The ship is a fairly safe place. Probably safer than going to a mall. The walkie talkies are a great option. Just make sure they don't over use them and distrub the other passengers with loud talking on the radios.

Make them meet with the teenage kids group on the first day. They will then at least be able to hang out in a group of kids which will help make them safe. Also arrange for meeting times (or use the walkie talkies) so that you can keep an eye on them.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 01-11-2008, 06:46 AM

The ship does not permit dogs or cats (even with short claws) so you shouldn't have to worry about petifiles

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, falling, overboard, ship, teenagers, worried