Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2007, 03:36 PM

Hi all you experienced ladies out there! I was wondering if someone can explain exactly what smart casual is. I have one dress for the formal night (black, typical cocktail dress) and then I have another long black skirt with a "leopard" print and it scoops down in the back that I was going to wear for smart casual when we go to Portofino's, but I am afraid that may look too dressy. My friend said she is going to wear slacks and a blouse for smart casual. Opinions please! I am leaving on Oct 7th! Thank you!
Old 09-30-2007, 12:38 PM

CAD1223, I was waiting for someone else to answer, and hope they still will, because smart casual means different things to different people. I think the dress you described would be fine for Portofinos. As I understand it people dress up a bit more at Portofinos than in the dining room. I'm only speaking from what I've heard because I haven't yet gone to Portofinos (and that's why I hope someone else answers). Your friend may also be comfortable in what she plans to wear if it's a dressy blouse (not like a t-shirt top). It depends what each of you is comfortable wearing. You could also ask the matre-d at Portofinos. Maybe you would want to switch dresses and wear the cocktail dress to Portofinos and the other dress to the formal night at the dining room.

Cruise guro Raoul Fiebig wrote the following about dress code at Protofinos and Chops. "no - formal clothes are not required. "Smart casual" is fine, although if you would like to dress up, that's fine, as well."

Have a great trip and, by the way, welcome to cruise-chat.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:34 AM

I think both outfits sound fine but you have to be comfortable with what you are wearing. In my opinion it's better to be over dressed than under dressed. Cruises are a great time to wear those outfits that you don't have an opportunity to wear often. I tend to dress nice in the evenings when cruising because it gives me a chance to wear things that I never wear when back home.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 10-01-2007, 08:33 AM

Hi CAD1223, welcome aboard. For smart casual evenings, I usually wear a sun dress or a nice skirt suit. I prefer to dress nicely for dinner, not that slacks aren't, it's just that I like to maintain the atmosphere of the dining room. It's so beautiful inside, with the table set perfectly, the waiters neat as a pin, the maitre d' in his suit, just the total ambiance. Normally, at home, when we go to dinner, it's either jeans or sometimes dress pants. So when I'm on a cruise, I like the opportunity to dress nicely for dinner. The specialty restaurants are even more elegant than the dining room, so I don't think you'd be over dressed at all. Plus, with a black skirt you can match it with other tops and save room packing. Best wishes!
Old 10-01-2007, 12:16 PM

Thank you all for the reponses. I always like to have opinions from someone who has experienced this already, as I have not. I think I am going to bring along one other dress that I have as well. Like you said, it's better to be over dressed than under dressed. I am hoping the weather will be good...we are leaving on Sunday!!
Old 10-01-2007, 12:55 PM

As a cruiser that is headed on their 4th cruise and 2nd time with RCC by choice, I can tell you you will see people in slacks and tops at most evening meals, on the formal night and if you are cruising 7 days or greater, there are 2, you will see everything from tuxes and evening gowns to dressier sun dresses etc. I myself like to dress up for dinner everynight and take one long dress and one cocktail dress for the formal nights. I have worn sun dresses, skirts and tops other nights as I am not a slack person but you will be ok in whatever makes you comfortable as long it is not denim, shorts or bathing suit. Some wear capris with a dressier top as well. The dining room is very formal looking like a fine dining restaurant. If you go to the other restaurants it is probably more casual. I like to eat in the dining room 3 times a day. Most do not.

Hope that is helpful. Remember they take pictures on the formal nights that are very nice and are reasonable so it is an opportunity to preserve the moment and the memories.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, casual, chat, code, cruise, days, dress, night, overdressed, restaurant, review, royal, skirt, smart, wear