Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   Baby on board (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/3458-baby-board.html)

chris 2486 06-13-2010 11:26 AM

Hi could anyone please help us with some info.
My wife is pregnant at the moment and is due to have our first child by the end of this year. We are looking to book the oasis for sept 2011.
Our child will be 9 month old at the time which makes him/her eligable to cruise.
When pricing the cruise up we found that we were getting charged full rate and full gratuities for our
baby.
My question is why, when surely him/her wont be using the full facilities on board also my concerns are with the food are rccl going to provide us with baby food.
Or are we going to have to bring our own food on board with us.
Rccl recognize infants from 6 months old so surely they must provide us with the correct food, or am i wrong?
Thankyou.

Dave 06-13-2010 11:56 AM

Welcome to the world of cruising with baby.

RCI's policy is no discounts for infants. If you pre-pay gratuities then they will charge you for the set amounts which are not age-based. If you pay them in cash while aboard then you can customize the amount. Infants may not be using all the facilities but they do add to the work load of your cabin and dining room staffs. I've seen more than one waiter take a screaming baby away to comfort them while mom and dad scarf down dinner in relative peace. Similarly, your cabin attendant has to handle the dirty diapers and also putting a crib up should you request one.

The cruise line does not provide baby food or formula. However RCI will sell you some. They offer Gerber's organic baby food, as well as diapers, wipes, and lotions, in their Babies 2 Go program. You order what you want before the cruise starts and it will be in your cabin when you board.

chris 2486 06-13-2010 12:03 PM

Thankyou dave. Quite appalled by there policys to be honest as your purchasing food twice if you know what i mean.
Do all cruise lines have the same policys

Dave 06-13-2010 12:19 PM

I know Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, and even Disney do not provide formula or baby food. I was surprised about Disney but even they have a contract partnership where they will sell you baby food and supplies as does RCI.

As for the cruise fare - some lines have kids sail free at certain times of the year. But it is a promotion and not a standard thing. Costa does it fairly commonly though.

As to the food - there are so many variables with babies that a cruise ship would have to stock dozens of different brands, blends, etc., in order to address individual preferences. Babies are a lot like cats when it comes to eating. Baby #1 only will eat Beechnut strained pears. Baby #2 wants the Gerbers pears.

To be honest, cruise lines tolerate infants but do not court them. RCI does have their Royal Babies program where they can have some activities, but a parent has to be there. I believe there are also limits on the number of infants that can be aboard any particular cruise.

chris 2486 06-13-2010 01:36 PM

Never looked at it that way thanks dave.
I suppose if i asked am sure they could liquidize some veg etc.
Also after we complete our next cruise we become diamond members would the little 1 get the same recognition.

Dave 06-13-2010 01:48 PM

Children carry the same member status as their parents as long as they are enrolled in the C&A youth membership program.