Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2006, 12:43 PM

How do people handle sea pass cards with children? We'll have children and teens ranging in age from four to eighteen and wonder if we are vulnerable for charges if a child (or adult) loses their sea pass card? Also, I'm a little confused about whether we can put a set amount on a child's card. I'm thinking we'll allow charges for the teens and just make expectations clear about limits, and I'm guessing that we won't set up sea pass accounts for the youngest children, but I'm a little uncertain about what to do for a thirteen year old. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Old 06-16-2006, 01:01 PM

Hello. Yes, you can put a set amount on their cards. One of us usually loses our sea pass card at least once. As soon as we realize it, we get another and ask for current list of charges that have been accrued. We have never had anybody spend anything on our accounts, but I have heard stories of it happening. This last cruise, I saw people leave there cards at the bar, and the bartenders save it for them, hoping they will come back to get it. My step-son has cruised with us 3 times. His age ranged from 13-16 on these cruises. We always buy him a soda pass as soon as we board. We never put money on his card for him to spend. We figure, he gets unlimited soda, water, juice, and food. I don't think he needs any extra money for anything, IMHO. I take him to the gift shop, and offer to get him something if he wants it. I see alot of kids using the money to buy "virgin drinks", and other food you have to pay for, such as Johnny Rockets, Ben & Jerrys, etc... Those charges can really add up. I just feel they are busy enough, and have enough free foods and drinks already. I spend the extra money on my husband and I, usually in the spa, or jewelry shop, or a deposit for a future cruise. Good luck, Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-16-2006, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I see alot of kids using the money to buy "virgin drinks", and other food you have to pay for, such as Johnny Rockets, Ben & Jerrys, etc... Those charges can really add up. I just feel they are busy enough, and have enough free foods and drinks already. I spend the extra money on my husband and I
Lil' Lori - You would deny your step-son the opportunity to purchase some young lady he has met on board a Ben & Jerrys item or a Johnny Rockets item while you are off at the spa???

Old 06-16-2006, 01:55 PM

Well, ok, I feel the need to elaborate on my step-son. He does not live with us, he is 16 1/2, quit his job months ago, is not looking for another one, and to top it off both his mom and us don't feel he is responsible enough to drive (based on his drug use, D & F grades, & other could care less behaviour), and are not allowing him to drive till he is 18. So yes, the fact that I work TONS of overtime to pay for these cruises, I use the extra money for us. I am childless by choice, so I don't know what it is like to have a nice, responsible child, who I feel confident would not abuse the privileges we give him. I still feel there is enough free stuff for them. I can understand that some parents would want their kids to having spending money, based on their kids behaviour/responsibility, if they have the extra money to indulge their kids, or if their kids earn the money to spend on board. I personally just don't feel it is necessary. In my humble opinion. Lil' Lori

Old 06-16-2006, 02:25 PM

Sorry I said anything - I was trying to be funny. The young man in question should feel lucky and priviledged just to be on the cruise. Based on what you just said, I sure as heck wouldn't have invited him - much less have paid for him! You must be quite a gal, Lil' Lori!

PS - I'll be relocating to Scottsdale (again) later this summer! Maybe I need to do a countdown clock for the relocation.

Old 06-16-2006, 05:39 PM

Hi ChucksOK, sorry I got off on a tangent. Yeah, my step-son is a sweet kid, that is his saving grace. He just doesn't have any initiative. Oh well, it could be worse, it can always be worse. Being a step parent sure is complicated at times. Sorry if I came off as snippy. I was just stating my very personal reasons as to why we don't give him extra money on cruises. Most parents are blessed with great kids. Enough said about that!! Anyways, so your moving back to Scottsdale. We live by 101 and I-17. It's only 105 today, with 110 tomorrow. The area has grown soooo much. Welcome back to Arizona. Lil' Lori

Old 06-16-2006, 05:44 PM

Cookspop, sorry this turned into a "off subject post". I just felt the need to further explain my reasoning. I try not to have poor manners on this board, I got a little carried away. Sincerely, Lil' Lori

Old 06-19-2006, 07:00 PM

Lil' Lori,

Please do not apologize. I appreciate the hints offered.

Sincerely,

Cookspop
Old 06-20-2006, 06:51 AM

Hi, I have 2 daughters 11 and 15. we have cruised 3 times. I did not allow them charge priveleges on the first 2 cruises. The last one on the Rhapsody we did. If they charged $20 each it was alot. If you trust your kids to live by the rules, let them do it. If you feel they will abuse it don't give them charge priveleges. Its your option. no one knows your kids better than you do.

Caribbean Resorts & Hotels
Old 06-21-2006, 07:22 AM

Actually, I trust the kids that they will stick to agreed upon limits. My main concern is about the potential for kids to lose their sea pass cards and how big a risk that is if someone else finds it. (To be truthful, I could just as easily lose my sea pass card. )

Thanks.

Cookspop

Closed Thread

Tags
applying, card, caribbean, children, childs, kids, money, pas, pass, passcards, royal, sea, seapass, soda, unlimited