Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2006, 12:18 PM

My husband and I will be going on our first cruise (first vacation since the kids came along!) on Feb 23 out of Galveston on the Splendour.

I have asked several people about the air temperature on board the ship. It seems to me, the breeze (wind?) would have a cooling effect on the air temp. Am I assuming correctly? I don't want to pack all shorts and tank tops, to find out the "wind chill" is in the low 70's! However, being from Wisconsin, I would love to be able to wear shorts and tank tops in February--I just don't want to spend my whole vacation feeling chilly.

Also, as the vacation gets closer, I am wondering what we are actually going to do on the days at sea. One can only spend so much time in a lounge chair by the pool but again, being from the northern states, I would like to spend as much time as possible outside. We can do indoor activities all winter long! Any recommendations?

Can I wear the same outfit all day long, or are you expected to dress differently for outdoor activities than for indoor activities and dinner?

This is all so new for me, I can't even begin to imagine what it's going to be like!!

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips you can give me!
Old 02-05-2006, 12:36 PM

There are a variety of activities going on throughout the ship everyday. You will receive a newsletter called the Compass in your stateroom everyday listing all of the activities and what time they are.

You will need long pants to eat in the dining room at dinnertime. No shorts allowed then.

I can't speak for Galveston because I have never been there, but we did a western Caribbean cruise in January of 2003 and wore shorts during the day. A couple evenings the wind picked up and it cooled down a little. Everybody's tolerence for temperature is different. I would take a long pair of pants along just in case.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:11 PM

RDBrenda, you're going to have an amazing time!

Shorts and tanks will be fine in the warm Caribbean days. As Rick mentioned, take some slacks and a sweater or wrap for evening, even inside the ship, as some rooms tend to be a bit over-air conditioned.

There is a LOT to do, if you choose, on the ship each day. You won't be bored. The days in port, you'll be off the ship for a good part of the day. The days at sea will be a combination of sitting by the pool as much as you want, and participating in onboard activities as much as you want, too.

Sandy
Old 02-05-2006, 05:37 PM

I would take a variety of clothes,and be able to dress in layers. Sometimes you need a light jacket or long sleeves inside, and sometimes the temperatures can get pretty cool in the evenings outside.

There is such a variety of activities in addition to lounging outside... before I took my first cruise, I was scared I would be bored. In actuality, there are so many things to choose from, every day. Days at sea are awesome for a different type of relaxation that I cannot get at home. Have a great cruise!!!
Old 02-05-2006, 06:15 PM

Brenda,

We are from Michigan so as far as what to wear. We bring shorts and a few pair of sweatpants or the more casual so called plastic pants for a coverup on the cooler days. But to us cool days are in the 40's. Last week when it hit 45 I was doing yard work in a sweatshirt.

As far as temps I use my Excite page to track the daily weather of the places that I am going to get a good sense of what to expect.

As I type this at 9:11 pm it is
27 degrees in Saginaw, Michigan.
63 degrees in Galveston
75 in Ocho Rios, Jaimaica
73 in Georgetown, Grand Cayman

With Monday's highs of

Saginaw 31
Galveston 68
Georgetown 79
Ocho Rios 75

And rememember shen in the Caribbean anything over 60 FEELS SO GOOD compared to what we deal with in February.

We do take some windbreakers/rain jackets just in case. But when it rains and you are on the deck in a lounge chair. You can tell the northerners from the southerners. When it starts to rain the southerners head for cover. The northerners enjoy the warmth of the rain.

Why? When it rains up here it is normally COLD as ICE
Splendour 4-05
Navigator 10-05
Sovereign 5-06

EXPLORER OF THE SEAS 11-3-06

Since I have had a cigarette.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ROYAL_..._CRUISE_GROUP/
Old 02-06-2006, 11:57 AM

That was part of what I meant as for as the tolerence of cold. I am not as far north as you (St. Louis, MO) but I find it interesting to go anywhere in the south and see people with jackets on and I am comfortable with shorts and t- shirts.

Closed Thread