Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2006, 12:32 PM

We are trying to decide between the two ships. The ports are pretty much the same and the price is comparable. Except Legend is 7nts and Jewel is 6nts. We are rather inexperienced cruisers some have been on one Carnival cruise others have never been. I am planning and everyone says "whatever you think would be best". So I need some educated and experienced help. We would be 5 couples aged 40 up to late 60's. We would also be bring our 2 DDs and they would go to the Adventure Ocean. Any advice assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:21 PM

RBM~~~

I would consider the age difference between the Jewel of the Seas, which began sailing in May of 2004 and the Legend of the Seas, which had its maiden voyage in May of 1995.

The Legend of the Seas in the first ship built in the six-ship "Vision Class". She is probably a lovely ship, but if I were in your shoes, with a whole family looking to me to make a choice, I would choose the Jewel simply because she is far newer and probably has more amenities, possibly slightly larger staterooms, and possibly a bit more for the young people to enjoy.

With either ship you choose, I believe you'll find Royal Caribbean to be pleasantly a bit more elegant than Carnival.

Bon Voyage~~

Lana
Old 01-31-2006, 03:55 AM

having recently cruised on the jewel it is without doubt a fabulous vessel, equiped to the highest standards and catering to all age groups.Food on board was excellent,however, in our opinion, give the formal night a miss, not worth the hassle of getting dressed up, a great selection of food is available in the windjammer without the zeolate like behaviour of an overbearing head waiter, our pre-paid gratuity could certainly have found a better home, something we will rectify on our next trip.staterooms are spacious compered to some, push the boat out and take a deluxe with balcony on deck 9.The main reason i suggest a balcony is if you are going on the 6 night western caribbean, seeing both cozumel and costa maya from the ship would be enough for anyone, one being flattened by the recent hurricanes and by and large wrecked and the other nothing more than a clearing in the forest with half a dozen souvenir shops, hardly mexico at its best.As was the case with ourselves if your itinery takes you to grand cayman first and key west last you will have to re enter united states territory this will involve a trip thru customs, straight forward enough as long as all on board turn up, if not this can be a lengthy process,do not make major plans for key west we went thru customs at 10.00hrs did not get off the ship till 13.45 by the time we fought our way thru the throng to our transport we reached town at 14.45 and had to be back on board for 16.30, Hemmingway's home was taken at a gallop, All and all superb ship, rubbish itinery, theres got to be more to the caribbean that what we saw
Old 01-31-2006, 06:35 AM

Thanks so much for your input. We will definitely go with a balcony otherwise I get a litte claustrophobic!! I had heard that Costa Maya was simply a stop to try and get you to buy jewelry. I definitely will stay on the ship and lounge about. Thanks again. Now the fun begins...planning, excursions, shopping!
Old 01-31-2006, 08:31 AM

rbm444 - We cruised on the Jewel,6 nighter, last year and immediately signed up to cruise on her this year. We'll be on the 8 night cruise in April. It's a beautiful ship. We've cruised RCCL, HAL and Princess and the Jewel is the nicest ship we've been on. I found the food in the main dining room to be OK. Loved Portofino and Chops. Well worth the extra $20 pp. Definitely go with a balcony. If you have time in Key West, take the Conch Train. There's also a shipwreck museum that's terrific. One cruise, we docked by Mallory Square. The ship left at sunset and we were able to watch the "show" on the square. The bagpiper playing "Amazing Grace" really set the mood. I agree with steveo d about Costa Maya. We've been there more times than I care to remember. Next time, we won't leave the ship.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:39 PM

steveo d.....I agree with you...don't bother to get off ship in Cozumel and Costa Maya. We did and were very disappointed. Cozumel has so much damage and Costa Maya has tourist trap bright colored shops and that's mainly it. We noticed military out in force due to threatened uprising by farmers. We went to beach south of there and it was trashy.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:03 PM

We have cruised with the Jewel für 12 nights last year to all the Scandinavian Capitals and the Baltic and it is the best ship, besides her sister ship Brilliance, which we cruised in the Caribbean for 11 nights in 2002.
We are now booked for the other sister ship, Radiance, for Hawaii.
Almost everybody says, that the Radiance class ships are the most beautiful ships and I have to agree.

Old 02-01-2006, 03:54 AM

good advice from montanaburns, rbm444, stay on board especially at cost maya, but if u insist on getting off, wrecked and all make it cozumel. Hire a mexican Harley(scooter)see the island in 90mins, see the power of a hurricane.Once travelled 7000 miles to get to great falls montana, great place.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:20 AM

rbm444,
I agree with everyone's assessment of the 2 ships. There is no comparison between the Jewel and the Legend. As Oppis has already stated - the Radiance class ships our the most beautiful ships afloat.

As for Costa Maya, I have a different opinion. While I agree the port itself is a tourist trap created by the cruise lines (at best), if you venture out of the port area to the village of Majuhual you will be in for a treat. Taxis will take you there for just a few dollars, but what is even more fun is renting one of the golf carts so you can explore the very short route along the way. This little dirt road town offers friendly locals, a great beach, cervazas for a $1, excellent fresh seafood served in beachside palapas and a small Mexican craft market with prices MUCH cheaper than those in the port. It has become one of my favorite ports on the Western Caribbean itinerary.

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 02-01-2006, 06:31 AM

rbm444,
One of the best aspects of cruising is the opportunity to explore new locations you have never been before. Depending on your likes/dislikes you may find Costa Maya a pleasant port. Immediately off the pier is a plaza with two swimming pools. One has a swim up bar and beach area with chairs and umbrellas, playground, and shopping area. An authentic open air Mexican restaurant "Drinking Donkey" is nearby. If you like ruins you can take a shore excursion to a site that is stll being dug-Chacchoben. You will see old ancient temples. A $5taxi ride to Mayahual has nice restaurants & bars right on the beach. "Cats" is owned by Canadians. There are four ancient Mayan cities located within two hours. Look for the amphitheater for a performance of Mayan dancing and music. You can go snorkeling and diving at Uvero Beach. Or take a combined bicycle and kayak adventure. I hope you have a nice cruise.

Closed Thread

Tags
jewel, legend