Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2002, 08:55 AM

We are a family of 6 cruising on the Navigator of the Seas on August 16th, 2003. We will be flying into Ft. Lauderdale and need to get all of us and our luggage to Miami as economically as possible. We would like to stay overnight in the Port of Miami area and would love some suggestions for an economical hotel stay. We are a husband and wife and 4 children (ages 11-17).
Thanks
Old 10-15-2002, 08:55 AM

We are a family of 6 cruising on the Navigator of the Seas on August 16th, 2003. We will be flying into Ft. Lauderdale and need to get all of us and our luggage to Miami as economically as possible. We would like to stay overnight in the Port of Miami area and would love some suggestions for an economical hotel stay. We are a husband and wife and 4 children (ages 11-17).
Thanks
Old 11-08-2002, 11:40 AM

have you checked with royal caribbean about there hotel packages they might be a little bit more then getting a hotel on your own but transfers to the port of miami to the ship are included if you get one of there hotel packages and you wont have to mess with yor luggage once you get to the pier. in the end it mig
Old 11-08-2002, 11:41 AM

have you checked with royal caribbean about there hotel packages they might be a little bit more then getting a hotel on your own but transfers to the port of miami to the ship are included if you get one of there hotel packages and you wont have to mess with yor luggage once you get to the pier. in the end it might be about the same price once you get your hotel and transportation to get you to the pier.
Old 03-02-2003, 10:53 AM

I am flying to Ft. Lauderdale and cruising from Maimi next week with a group of ten. Try this:

We're staying at the Baymont Inn and Suites next to the Ft. Lauderdale airport - currently running a special for $56 including breakfast and tax (find THEIR website)! There's also a good deal at the Baymont at the Miami airport.

As far as the transportation: We've rented a van for $40 from the Ft. Lauderdale airport that we can go where we want, not worry about shuttle times and can turn it in at the Miami airport. It's a $10 cab ride to the port from there.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:49 PM

Oh now i'm even more confused! If we fly into Fort Lauderdale, doesn't the ship leave from Fort Lauderdale?

If the ship leaves from Miami, shouldn't we fly into Miami instead of Fort Lauderdale?

(We were thinking of flying into Galveston but now i'm worried that we'll have to fly into Houston and take a 2 1/2 hour shuttle bus drive down to Galveston -- and there's no WAY we want to do that!)

Any info/advice/opinion appreciated!
Old 03-25-2003, 07:17 AM

Although I have not been on my first cruise yet, I do believe that if I do choose to fly in a day early I will no doubt book it through the cruise lines. If you don't, the ship may sail away without you if you run late. I have read on many posts that if the cruise line books your cruise, the ship you are sailing on will have your name on a list and will wait for you until your shuttle arrives. I am slowly becoming an expert until I leave for my "wedding moon" then I will have forgotten everything. QUESTION: Does someone recommend flying in a day earlier prior to the cruise? If so, why?
Old 03-25-2003, 07:46 AM

Reply to both previous posts:
Emily, ships sail from both Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, depending on which ship you are interested in. Lots of people fly into Ft Lauderdale to avoid the hassle of Miami airport, even if they have Miami cruises. Re: your question about Houston & Galveston, you will of necessity fly into Houston for a Galveston cruise, as that is where the airports are. If the airfare isn't too much more expensive, and if you can, you should arrange your flights into Houston Hobby Airport, instead of Bush (Houston Int'l), as it's closer to Galveston. Otherwise, just think of the bus ride as a chance to relax & "leave the driving to someone else" on the way to your cruise.
As to whether one should fly in the day before a cruise, I always recommend that to my clients, and I do it myself when going on a cruise. Reasons: it's more relaxing, as you may be able to avoid getting up at 3 AM to catch an early-enough flight to the port where your cruise ship is, instead waking up in your hotel room with plenty of time for breakfast and getting a ride to the pier. Second, if your flight is cancelled, you may not be able to make it to the cruise ship, whether or not the cruise line arranged your air - they certainly won't hold the cruise departure until the next day to wait for you! Yes, they feel a bit more responsible for you if you have booked your air through them, but there are limits. Even if your flight is only delayed, you still will have the worry of getting to the port on time if you are flying the day of the cruise. If you plan to go the day before and something happens, you have much less stress and a better chance of still getting there on time.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:52 AM

Info for Gr8One - the main advantages of booking your air through the cruise line are 1) that if the airline changes their schedule (which they often do last-minute) the cruise line will make alternate arrangements for you, instead of you or your TA having to do it, and 2) if the cruise line cancels your sailing (which rarely but sometimes does happen, usually for mechanical reasons), you will not lose the money on your air tickets - the cruise line offers those on cancelled sailings a combination of refunds and credit on future sailings. Therefore, even if you fly the day before (which I recommend), you should book it through the cruise line - especially for a honeymoon, it's great to have as few hassles as possible to deal with!
Karen
Old 03-25-2003, 08:21 AM

Great advice. It's good to know what some of the problems could be so I can prevent them. I will certainly get prices for an overnight stay through the cruiseline. The last thing I was thinking about was breakfast trying to plan this. I absolutely like the idea of waking up only a shuttle ride from the port so I can enjoy a nightcap and breakfast in the morning with me fiance.

Closed Thread

Tags
airport, carribean, catch, cruise, fly, fort, ft, good, lauderdale, lauf, laurderdale, miami, port, royal, time, whats