Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2006, 08:16 AM

So I'm reading all of the old posts and I understand the RC is not that strick on the formal night? I'm not really a dress wearing kind of girl, so would black dress pants and a nice top work for me? My husband is not a suit wearing kind of guy either, so would nice dress clothes on him be alright also? Or should we just skip the formal nights so we won't look out of place?

Thank you,
Linda

10-14-07 Freedom of the Seas
10-04-08 Liberty of the Seas
Old 08-01-2006, 09:03 AM

Nice slacks and a top are fine, however, your husband should wear at least a sports coat with his slacks and shirt. You will see a wide range of evening wear on formal nights. Just a note, you don't have to wear your formal clothes the entire evening. So you might enjoy dressing for dinner, then going back to the room for more comfortable clothes. That way you could have a nice picture taken when y'all are all dressed up. Have a wonderful cruise.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:10 AM

My hubby and I decided ot to dress for formal night last cruise. We went to the windjammer for dinner and then went to the prominade and people watched. This cruise I decided that I was dressing up and bought a nice dress to wear and he will be wearing slacks and a tie ,he does not want to wear a jacket, I wish he would. I do not think there are any firm rules, It is your vacation wear what you want. Have fun!
Old 08-01-2006, 09:14 AM

we were on the sos last fall and decided not to do the formal night and our waiter insisted that we not miss it.he said to not let dressing up keep us from coming there were six of us. the ladies dressed in dresses and pantsuits while us guys had golf shirts and nice shirts and kakis.no sport coats or ties.and as far as pictures its up to you if you want to buy them we didnt wait to get out pic taken before dinner.because the line was very long.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:27 PM

I would feel out of place if I didn't have a sport jacket and tie for the formal night. If I decided not to dress up, I would eat in the Windjammer. My wife loves formal night, and I can take it or leave it. But, I love her, and if dressing up for dinner one night of our cruise makes her happy, I'm putting on my tux.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:24 PM

Thank you SONNYV! Formal nights are special for my husband and I. We enjoy the formal attire. Like going to a fancy restaurant and having someone dining in blue jeans, it takes the "specialness" out of the experience when people do not dress up. The Windjammer is an appropriate place for those who wish more casual dining on the formal evenings.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:59 AM
The word "Formal" should say it all. It does not say "Semi-Formal or Casual". I do not particularly like dressing up anymore as I did years ago but I do take the cue for formal nights. For those who do not want to dress up they should either order room service or eat in the buffet room. It's not fair to those who do dress up to dine with those who do not care. In April we went on the Wind to Hawaii. We chose to skip formal nights and make this a strictly shorts and sandles cruise. We were told that formal nights were optional on this cruise. I asked where we would eat on those nights I was told there would be designated diningrooms for formal and others for casual. This turned out to not be true. All diningrooms were opened to both. I felt bad dining with people who had gone all out and I was dressed casually. They definitely need to seperate the the formals from the casuals.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:28 AM

Why do we always see these "dress vs. don't dress" threads?

It reminds me of "the brat" having a tantrum, laying on the floor, kicking their heels "...waaah, waaah, waaah, I won't wear (whatever) to church, I won't, I won't, I won't!"

Old 08-04-2006, 11:37 AM

I think as long as you look nice. You could do pants and a flashy top, your hubby could do pants too and a tie. I was on the Brilliance last christmass 2005. I saw many people who didn't dress up formal.

Also many are correct, you can just dress up for dinner and change. We did that many times.

Think of it as a glamoerous night on the town with that special someone, so have fun. How many times will you guy's every dress up again.

Enjoy
Old 08-04-2006, 02:46 PM

I was fortunate enough to find 3 dresses at Macy's at 9.99 each. I couldn't believe it. They are absolutley gorgeous and formal. My husband and I never get dressed up like this so we are taking advantage of it, along with ouR girls (ages 2 &10. I was able to find beautiful formal dresses for them as well. The challenge will be my husband. I think he will wear nice slacks, a dress shirt and tie and a sport coat.
I am sure there will be plenty of people dressed from one end of the spectrum to another.

Closed Thread

Tags
formal, question