Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Banned

Because unlike other lines RCCL's company policy, at least according to the head bartender as told in front of the purser, is that these charges can't be removed in any case for any reason. I want to confirm this with someone at corporate but if it is the case then it is not a tip it is a service charge. A conflict of thier printed literature and a sneaky way to bilk the passenger, (yesa i said bilk..please dont delete me)
This is where this crap starts, you read one price in the advertised menu then pay a different one on the bill.
Next thing you know other tips will be mandatory and your paying for even the smallest service on your all inclusive cruise.
Charges to visit specialty resturaunts were a bad trend to start also, that could lead to paying extra for all but the blandest food.
I'm more than irked that the cruise line can't pay thier people a good enough wage so they don't have to rely on extra tips from us after we pay them a large amount, sometimes months in advance, to book a supposedly mostly inclusive cruise.
What next will we have to tip the embarkation clerk? after tipping the porter, shuttle driver, airport porter, stewardess on the flight?
The captain is the most important man on board, when will he demand a cut from us?
Maybe we will have to tip the window washers in port so they will work on our ship instead of others in port.
They allready have self disembarkation to help you leave faster (oh yeah and relieve them of dealing with your bags) i'm sorta surprised they don't hit us for a fuel surcharge like the airlines...give them more time and slack and they will!!
so is it obsession to want to curtail anarchy?
I may have overblown a small problem, but thats where it starts. If nobody says a word than it becomes acceptable practice and you will need a calculator to figure up an inceasingly padded bottom line for your cruise bill.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:04 PM
Actually, I have already paid fuel surcharges several times over the past 30 years.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:36 PM
Banned

I guess i should use emoticons more often, only parts of my self righteous rants are serious...all though it may sound like obsession, it's tongue in cheek for some parts.

It would just be nicer if you had one price for drinks. If you want to tip theres a space on the tab for it, if you don't feel like tipping then they should still make, or serve you a drink. Why should we have to do math while drinking? while some resturaunts have a mandatory 15% or more tip added to large parties, I have never been to a bar where that is a policy (until RCCL).

I think it will lead to anarchy on the seas
the pirates of RCCL have us by the booty when we are on thier ships
Old 01-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Well, I think you know the answer to that!
Old 01-19-2007, 07:18 AM

Last year we went on Celebrity and they allowed us to purchase bottles of rum from their on-board duty-free shop and bring them back to our cabin. Being that Celebrity is owned by RCCL, I would think the policy would be the same. We are going on RCCL in April and June this year so we are expecting to purchase it on board and bring it back to our cabin--will we be disappointed? Their prices are very competitive and it saves us from toting alcohol with us. The prices they charge per drink are rather high and we would just as soon leave our savings as additional tips for the crew--they are always fantastic!

If they don't allow this, then I'm wondering who in their right mind would purchase any liquor on-board only to have them store it and then have to drag it back home with them? It seems to me RCCL would be wasting valuable retail space with this practice.

All responses are very much appreciated!
Old 01-19-2007, 11:15 AM

Edsson, you are right about the prices onboard. We sailed Pricess last November and the prices onboard were actually cheaper than in the duty free shops and liquor stores in such places as the Virgin Islands. However, they also would not allow you to take it to your room.

The only reason to buy onboard is if you intend to haul it back to the US and save a few bucks a bottle.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Banned

so Celebrity will let you buy a bottle and take it to your room with no hassle? well i guess i should try them if a good sale/sail comes along.

Carnival has a policy of matching prices..(RCCL too, i think).we found better prices in grand cayman at the tortuga rum place near the tender station, they could only deliver it to the ship and needed at least an hour...so instead we got the cashier to quote prices for us on a store paper, carnival matched it no problem!! this is great for souvineer/gift bottles, let them store em out of temptations way.

the best prices for usa are duty free, for most stuff the island where they make it is cheapest. the rules are wierd, i heard if your ship stops in st. thomas you can bring back 2 more litres . with current hassle about liquids we don't buy as much anymore.
what is the limit nowadays? 4-5 litres each?
Old 01-19-2007, 06:09 PM

Yeah--the guy just asked us to keep it under wraps and not make a big deal of it. However, we noticed he did the same for others who saw what we did. Actually, it made sense to us--why would they dedicate the retail space and then tell people they would have to save it until the end of the cruise and haul it home with them. We will try for the same deal on RCCL and see what they say.

I'm not sure about the total limit is, but the deals are never good enough to warrent packing and hauling it with us home.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:30 AM

On the first 3 RCCL cruises I went on, you could buy liquor on the ship and carry it back to your room. The last 2 RCCL cruises, they charged you a surcharge for each bottle you wanted to take to the room. After seeing the potential lost bar revenue, I can understand why they stopped it altogether.

03-11 CCL Triumph
10-10 CCL Triumph
01-10 CCL Triumph
10-08 CCL Fantasy
03-08 CCL Fantasy
10-07 CCL Holiday
03-07 CCL Holiday
11-06 CCL Triumph
03-06 Caribbean Princess
01-04 CCL Victory
09-03 CCL Destiny
05-03 CCL Imagination
11-02 CCL Imagination
01-02 RCCL Rhapsody of Seas
02-01 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
02-00 RCCL Empress of Seas
01-99 RCCL Sovereign of Seas
01-98 RCCL Majesty of Seas
Old 01-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by wise2u:
while some resturaunts have a mandatory 15% or more tip added to large parties, I have never been to a bar where that is a policy (until RCCL).
On every Carnival, RCI, Celebrity, Princess, and NCL cruise I have ever taken, they have always automatically added 15% to every drink order. This is not something unique to RCI. Years ago Holland America didn't charge it, but now that has changed too. I am quite sure the bar menus clearly state that 15% is added to each order.

However, I do agree that it might be a better idea to simply post all drink prices with the 15% included in the price.

Closed Thread

Tags
alcohol, card, caribbean, carnival, carribean, detecting, onboard, policies, policy, purchase, rccl, rci, royal, underage, xray