Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Administrator

alfred,

I have been on the Mariner as well as both the Freedom and Liberty. As you probably know, the major differences between the Mariner and the Freedom-class ships are the Flowrider and the H2O Zone. Take those two things away and the ships really are not much different. Is the H2O Zone a good thing? Yes. Is it something that is not-to-be missed? No. It takes the kids away from the main pools and makes for a better balance between adults and kids. But that is pretty much it, at least from my view. Another issue is that the pools on the Freedom and Liberty are fresh water. Mariner had salt water pools in 2004, and I don't know if they have been converted. I doubt it. Again, not a big deal for most people. After all, it is easier to float in salt water, which kids like.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it is worth $1500 in extra costs. It probably won't matter much to the kids anyway, since they won't have been on both ships to make a comparison.

My vote is to go with the Mariner and save your money. And remember - this cruise should be more about a family getting together than the "wow" factor of the ship. Do what is most cost effective to get you all together, and then have a great time.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
For every 8 rooms booked with Carnival on a group cruise, 1 person sails free!
Kim, that's actually true on all cruise lines, not just Carnival. Please be aware that the "free" cruise berth does not include tax, which you still have to pay.

Sandy
Old 01-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cheerfulkim:
Alfred,
I can't even begin to feel the depths of your frustration! I would be so mad!!! You've gotten some excellent suggestions above, however. I'm planning a family reunion cruise on the Carnival Triumph for July 27. Work with your travel agent. For every 8 rooms booked with Carnival on a group cruise, 1 person sails free! The Triumph is a beautiful boat (maybe not as fancy or big as the Freedom), but I'll bet the price is better. And you already have the airfare.
Alfred, I've sailed the Triumph twice and loved it. And I really like Casanova's idea. Book a Carnival Cruise and when RCCL calls looking for your business then you can extract your pound of flesh and get some satisfaction. It does happen as the moderators and agents say on all lines, but it happened to you on RCCL.
Call Vikke Freed at RCCL, she just went to RCCL from Carnival, I bet she would be interested.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Well don't get mad get even!!!

They offer to refound you $100 dollars per cabin for the money you lost on your airline tickets
Do you need to send them proof you cancel the tickets in order to them to give you your refound??
Casanova, I hope you are not suggesting that Alfred commit fraud to collect money for airline tickets he's not actually canceling. That's not getting even. That's being unethical and doing something illegal.

Sandy
Old 01-25-2008, 06:18 PM

Alfred, I'm with Dave here. If it's all the bells and whistles that the RCCL new ships offer that attracted you in the first place, Mariner would be a great choice as an affordable replacement. Also going that direction would allow to to begrudgingly use the perks offered even though they are are a pretty pathetic replacement for your time, trouble, frustration and inconvenience of having put you in this position. The Freedom Class ships are new and exciting and I'm certain that played a role in your group deciding on one. You will miss little going to a Voyager Class ship. You still have the Promenade (mall through the center of the ship) still have the ice show and rink. You still have all the attractions for the younger set like the basketball court, rock climbing wall, roller blade track, mini golf and all the rest. The extra water activities onboard would not be worth anywhere near a $1500. difference to me. Some of the younger passengers may whine a little since i'm sure they have heard all about the new stuff and will want it all. Once they get aboard Mariner the whining will end and all will have a blast if this is what you can all agree on.

If not I agree that CCL provides a good experience as well. You have a few really good options available that won't break the bank. Don't let RCCLs failure to come through on this ruin your trip or break your budget. A hefty CC bill after your cruise would be (for me anyway) a further disappointment with the situation that would make puting it behind me a little harder.

Cheers, Neil
Old 01-25-2008, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Casanova, I hope you are not suggesting that Alfred commit fraud to collect money for airline tickets he's not actually canceling. That's not getting even. That's being unethical and doing something illegal.

Sandy
Actually I don't
this is my suggestion,just to clarify;

RCCL told him they will give them $100 because of all of his trouble with the airline right?

So either way they will give him the money
Why??
Because if he decide to book another cruise, even on the freedoom of the seas, any other week of this year he will have to pay penalties to the airline and they know it is RCCL fault...no one gives something for nothing.

so the way I see it RCCL will always give him the money they don't care if he cancel the ticket or don't cancel the airline ticket

So here is my suggestion:

Don't cancel the ticket get even and go on another cruise line that's all
What I am really asking is if they told him in order to give them the refound "he has to prove he cancel the ticket"
Because what's unethical is what RCCL do to him...
Also for all the trouble they cause $ 100 dollars is not much either... Sorry if I gave the wrong impression is difficult to translate sometimes
Old 01-27-2008, 09:48 AM

Alfred, what a pain!! Sorry for all the trouble you're having to go thru. We love the Mariner, have been on it three times with and without children. Our 7yr old nephew just loved the kids club, lots of activities and supervision. The pool areas are really great, the adult pool is beautiful and peaceful. Lots of things for ALL ages. Haven't done Liberty or Freedom but know people who have and most say they are too crowded. Have also heard the flo-rider is kind of lame, a glorified boogie board ride. I would certainly hope RCCL will upgrade your rooms, I would practically insist on it for all your troubles. Maybe a suite??? Have a great time. We live close to the port and much prefer going out of Canaveral than Miami or Lauderdale as it is easier, smaller and less crowded.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Not to diminish Alfred's problem, but we all need to remember that his family wasn't the only group affected by this. They cancelled hundreds of bookings affecting at least two thousand or more passengers. With that number of people it is doubtful they will go beyond what was initially offered. I wouldn't be looking for a suite being handed to me.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:19 PM

Alfred,
Dave makes another excellent point. This has affected quite a few people who are going to be re-booking. I wouldn't wait too long, or there might not be as many options available on that date, or the weeks surrounding it.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:45 AM

Well the dust has finally settled and the family reunion is back on for at least most of the parties involved. At first it was I who voiced great opposition to continue doing business with Royal Caribbean, but I was immediately shot down by family members who convinced me that for the good of the family the show should go on. We could not agree on another cruise line so at the suggestion of the experts on this board I suggested the Mariner of the Seas. I made this suggestion so those affected by airline changes would not be financially burdened. There was great opposition to the Mariner because it is smaller than the Freedom class ships. The resulting arguments were brutal and have torn my family
apart. My sister in-law Maureen, spearheaded the movement to book the Liberty on August 16th with little regard for anyone holding airline tickets. The argument made was that the Freedom class ships had a better "water park area" for her precious little ones. Then the domino affect occurred with other parents of precious little ones chiming in and I was seriously out
numbered. So after much bickering, it was decided that the family will split in half. Two for the Mariner and the rest on the Liberty, so much for a family reunion. I could not afford to lose my four airline tickets valued at $1,600 even with the $400
Royal Caribbean offered to offset my loss. I don't grow money trees in my backyard, so I opted for the Mariner with my wife's 94 year old Aunt Carmel and her fiance who also would have been affected by an airline change. There are now great strains on the family. Divisions have been drawn and speaking terms are limited. I just wanted to post this final blog to thank everyone on this board for their kind advice and to thank Royal Carribean for breaking up my family.

Closed Thread

Tags
cancelled, caribbean, carribean, charter, cruise, cruises, family, fort, lauderdale, plan, rccl, reunion, reunions, royal, ruined, things