Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by alfred:
Well the dust has finally settled and the family reunion is back on for at least most of the parties involved. At first it was I who voiced great opposition to continue doing business with Royal Caribbean, but I was immediately shot down by family members who convinced me that for the good of the family the show should go on. We could not agree on another cruise line so at the suggestion of the experts on this board I suggested the Mariner of the Seas. I made this suggestion so those affected by airline changes would not be financially burdened. There was great opposition to the Mariner because it is smaller than the Freedom class ships. The resulting arguments were brutal and have torn my family
apart. My sister in-law Maureen, spearheaded the movement to book the Liberty on August 16th with little regard for anyone holding airline tickets. The argument made was that the Freedom class ships had a better "water park area" for her precious little ones. Then the domino affect occurred with other parents of precious little ones chiming in and I was seriously out
numbered. So after much bickering, it was decided that the family will split in half. Two for the Mariner and the rest on the Liberty, so much for a family reunion. I could not afford to lose my four airline tickets valued at $1,600 even with the $400
Royal Caribbean offered to offset my loss. I don't grow money trees in my backyard, so I opted for the Mariner with my wife's 94 year old Aunt Carmel and her fiance who also would have been affected by an airline change. There are now great strains on the family. Divisions have been drawn and speaking terms are limited. I just wanted to post this final blog to thank everyone on this board for their kind advice and to thank Royal Carribean for breaking up my family.
IMO I think this is a very unfair statement to make.If you pay attention, cruises are canceled all the time for various reasons.Don't blame Royal Caribbean for your internal family problems.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Alfred,

I think you are being a bit overwrought here in blaming RCI for "breaking up my family". Again, I am not trying to minimize the original cruise being cancelled but it seems there are more deep-seated family issues here and RCI is being used as a convenient target.

Why didn't you simply rebook on the Nickelodeon cruise?
Old 02-10-2008, 07:54 AM

With all due respect, Alfred, the idea that Royal Caribbean caused your family to be on limited speaking terms is laughable. Have you spoken to your airline about switching your tickets to a different destination? RCI may have offered you $400 because that's how much the fee to change your tickets would cost. Non-refundable airline tickets can, in fact, be used to another destination up to a year from the original date of purchase, with a change fee.

Sandy
Old 02-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Administrator

The last time I looked US Airways, United, and American charged $100 per person to change a booking and Delta charged $75. Sounds to me as though the $400 credit from RCI was based on these figures so there would be no money lost on the air fare.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
The last time I looked US Airways, United, and American charged $100 per person to change a booking and Delta charged $75. Sounds to me as though the $400 credit from RCI was based on these figures so there would be no money lost on the air fare.
Exactly. That's what I meant. The $400 RCI gave Alfred was to cover the change fee on the 4 tickets.

If Alfred worked with a travel agent, I hope the agent is already working with him on this.

Sandy
Old 02-10-2008, 10:56 AM

Well Alfred, I have to admit, I really feel sorry that you have to put up with Queen Maureen.
One question comes to mind: Why would anyone want to be on the same ship with the Queen? Sounds to me that Royal Caribbean did you a favor. Oh yeah, the Mariner isn't small compared to the Liberty. As a matter of fact, I really can't tell that much difference in size from a Voyager class ship, to a Freedom class ship. Of coarse, that's just my opinion.

Sonny
Old 02-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Why would anyone want to be on the same ship with the Queen?
A vacation with the family control freak is never any fun! If it wasn't which ship to take it'd be what dinner seating, or which tours, or which ice show, etc.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:16 PM
ok I don't know why you book again with RCCL even after all the trouble I will have gone with any other cruise line in your case just to show them...
In my opinion, and is just that my opinion, some people will defend the cruise line but even that is legal, it's not moral to cancel your vacation expectations because of some guffy network...
If you book with them again now you have to consider their rules and if they charter the ship any other time will see that in the future
Old 02-10-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
ok I don't know why you book again with RCCL even after all the trouble I will have gone with any other cruise line in your case just to show them...
If Alfred tried to avoid every cruise line that has ever canceled bookings already in place because the ship got chartered, there would be no cruise lines left to book. They ALL do this at one time or another.

Besides, do you think it's "showing them" to take a group of 10 or 20 to another cruise line when they chartered 3000 people onto their ship? This was a business decision all cruise lines have made.

Sandy
Old 02-10-2008, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Caz,

In the big scheme of things, do you really think that any corporation - cruise line or otherwise - is going to say "oh my, Alfred decided to go to our competition. He sure showed us who's boss"? This was a business decision by RCI and nothing personal against any of the previously booked passengers. They weighed the positives and negatives, which includes angering booked passengers, and decided to go with the Nickelodean contract.

The "I'll show them" approach is a waste of time. And as we've said previously, RCI is not the only cruise line to do this. They've all done it and I can guarantee you that it won't be long before Carnival does it again.

Closed Thread

Tags
cancelled, caribbean, carribean, charter, cruise, cruises, family, fort, lauderdale, plan, rccl, reunion, reunions, royal, ruined, things