Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   Royal Caribbean ruined my family reunion (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/35717-royal-caribbean-ruined-my-family-reunion.html)

alfred 01-24-2008 06:55 PM

Today we were informed that Royal Caribbean has cancelled all eight cabin resorvations we have had with them for months. We had all of our deposits in place and family members set to meet on August 10th sailing of Freedom of the seas. Royal has informed us that they have chartered the ship to a corperation for that week and we have been dismissed. We were told by Royal that they were very sorry and thats just the way it is sometimes. When I inquired about the air fair we purchased independently I was offered a $100 refund per Cabin for thousands of dollars worth of non cancellable non changable tickets. I was also offerd a $200 on board ship credit should I decide to rebook for a later date. THEY SOLD THE BOAT TWICE and the lower bidders who had reservations with deposits were let go. Royal informed me it was their legal right to cancel our cruise. Legal maybe ethical I dont think so. How can they get away with this. We worked on this trip for almost two years. It is a very difficult tast to get twenty five family member to get the same week off for vacation. The ship was set to sail in seven months and they had our money for the last four months.Thanks for the notice. If anyone reading this has a reservation for August 10th freedom of the seas from miami think again!! your out just like me. If your thinking about planing with Royal think twice as this could be you writing this. Be very carefull with this unethical company.

DAP 01-24-2008 08:02 PM

That is awful about your cruise being cancelled. I got an email from RC last week announcing a Nickelodeon Family Cruise on the Freedom on August 10, 7 nights, Western Caribbean. Can't believe they did this to you. Very disappointing to hear. Hope all goes well with rearranging your reunion.

Dave 01-25-2008 05:07 AM

Hi alfred,

Sorry to hear the news. It does happen, and they do have the right to do so. Indeed, this is the Nickelodeon Family Cruise now and they are offering it to Crown And Anchor members this week. The cruise will open to the public at-large on Monday January 28, no doubt at a higher rate, but you could rebook at that time and still go.

Look here for the pricing. Note a family discount, as well as one for grandparents.

Sandy 01-25-2008 05:24 AM

Alfred, I'm very sorry to hear about your cabins being canceled because of the charter. Please understand that full-ship charters are a fact of life in the cruising industry, and they have happened on many or most cruise lines, not just Royal Caribbean. It is a business decision the cruise line makes. Since the charter is open to bookings, is there a way to still sail on Freedom of the Seas that date?

Since August 10 is still so many months away, all may not be lost. Work with your travel agent to see if there are other ships leaving from either Miami or Ft. Lauderdale (30 minutes away) on that same date, with group space available. If Royal Caribbean doesn't have another ship leaving then, it's possible other cruise lines do have one or more. It's a disappointment to not be on your first choice ship, but the most important thing is to try to preserve your family's reunion. Everyone is looking forward to spending a week together on a terrific ship, and that may still be possible with a little additional effort.

Sandy

Spiritfilled 01-25-2008 06:16 AM

I am with Sandy try to still book a ship and have some fun because it is indeed to hard to get that many family members together at the same time so make the best of it and good luck to you.

Dave 01-25-2008 07:13 AM

Sandy makes a important point. Just because the bookings were cancelled you don't need to throw up your hands and say all hope is lost. Lots of ships to choose from in Miami and Port Everglades, should you choose to not rebook on the Nick cruise.

Casanova frankenstein 01-25-2008 01:40 PM

Sorry Man
I don't want to know what this will feel like after all your expectations they change it without considering you as a costumer...

Well don't get mad get even!!!

They offer to refound you $100 dollars per cabin for the money you lost on your airline tickets
Do you need to send them proof you cancel the tickets in order to them to give you your refound??
Is the refound in cash or on a credit on their cruise line?

If they give you the refound on cash here is what I will do:
book a CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE FUN SHIP!!!
1-800-CARNIVAL
Just book other cruise ship at carnival for the same day and embarking on the same port, so when RCCL refound you the money you will have a few extra dollars thanks to nickelodeon...
I know that sometime on the future RCCL will call you trying to make things OK and giving you the oportunity of a lifetime on a new cruise at Fredoom of the seas because of all your trouble and then you will have a great oportunity to tell them what to do with it...just give them a little time

TrvlPro 01-25-2008 02:47 PM

Alfred,

First welcome to Cruise-Chat. I'm also sorry to hear of your situation. It is indeed hard to plan for a group and then to have all the planning be wasted has to be very disappointing. With the airfare already in hand and the future cruise credits you may have an oppt'y to get something better than you had before. On the 9th, the newer sister ship, Liberty of the Seas is sailing also from Miami. In addition the Carnival Valor and Triumph sail on the 10th from Miami. It doesn't take away the sting of what happened but you can still have your family reunion and a great cruise without losing the money for the airfare even if the family members only have this date and port available. I also checked Ft. Lauderdale for your dates but with no luck there. Good luck in putting things back together. I hope you still can have a great reunion and cruise!

Cheers, Neil

alfred 01-25-2008 03:50 PM

Let me begin by thanking each of you for your time and expert advice. We are having many family issues over this and I am grateful for your help. Not all parties are having air line issues and are considering The Liberty on Aug 16th. If we do this some of us will eat air fare and some wont. So here is the real question: If we take the Mariner on the 10th (and nobody gets hurt with air fare) would we doing ourselves a disservice by missing the newer and bigger Liberty?. We have lots of small kids and I am told the water play area on Liberty is way superior. It really better be because its going to cost me $1500 in air fare personally.We break even on the Mariner and we pay up to wait for the Liberty. What would you do? Thank you again for everything.
Alfred

cheerfulkim 01-25-2008 03:55 PM

Alfred,
I can't even begin to feel the depths of your frustration! I would be so mad!!! You've gotten some excellent suggestions above, however. I'm planning a family reunion cruise on the Carnival Triumph for July 27. Work with your travel agent. For every 8 rooms booked with Carnival on a group cruise, 1 person sails free! The Triumph is a beautiful boat (maybe not as fancy or big as the Freedom), but I'll bet the price is better. And you already have the airfare.