Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2003, 02:14 PM

IS THE CRUISE INSURANCE WORTH PAYING FOR IT. MY WIFE AND I ARE GOING ON OUR FIRST CRUISE AND THE INSURANCE WILL BE 100.00 EACH. IS IT WORTH HAVING, OR SHOULD THE MONEY BE SPENT ELSEWHERE?

THANKS FOR ANY REPLIES.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:14 PM

IS THE CRUISE INSURANCE WORTH PAYING FOR IT. MY WIFE AND I ARE GOING ON OUR FIRST CRUISE AND THE INSURANCE WILL BE 100.00 EACH. IS IT WORTH HAVING, OR SHOULD THE MONEY BE SPENT ELSEWHERE?

THANKS FOR ANY REPLIES.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:59 PM

Definitely worth it! Anything can happen between now & when you are scheduled to sail - death in the family, illness, injuries, even jury duty - and those things can be covered by travel insurance. Without insurance, if you have to cancel, you will lose money on an increasing basis as time goes on, as cancellation penalties escalate the closer to sailing you get. In addition to covering your cancellation penalties, travel insurance can also help out if your luggage is lost on the way to the cruise, or if you have a medical emergency while on the cruise. Not all things we consider emergencies are covered - job-related reasons to cancel, for example, are not - but any number of other problems usually are. Even if nothing does happen, and all goes smoothly, you will have had the peace of mind knowing you can be reimbursed for those cancellation penalties if need be!
Old 12-11-2003, 07:05 PM

I would definately get the insurance. I know a couple that went on a cruise and on the 3rd day in, the guy was having some chest pains. The helicopter alone cost $25,000.00. This just happened last april. We are going on the 20th of Dec. and I am pretty sure that we are paying $50.00 per person for the insurance. It is only up to the cost of the trip so it covers $1000.00. Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:19 PM

Just like car insurance,sometimes you don't need it but if you do you are glad you bought it. I would rather save on something elsr. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.We did Paradise, Paridise and then Summit.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:23 PM

Mark, I researched the topic and wrote an article on it. You will find it by following this link.

http://www.CruiseReviews.com/Insurance.htm

It just depends opn a bunch of things if you need it or not, but Karen and the others are correct. Cruise cancellation and medical evacuation insurance are a strong motivator to purcnase it.

Some of my friends are going on a surfing trip in Indonesia on a chartered yacht and Medical Evacuation insurance is mandatory if they sign up.

Have a great cruise!

To
Old 01-11-2004, 12:37 AM

Personally, I NEVER cruise without it! It is well worth the cost.

I am a TA and have sent folks on cruises and they have (against my advice) not opted for the insurance. One group had several family members on the cruise which turned out to be a good thing. One of the members became very, very ill and was admitted for medical care in Nassau. Every family members credit card was maxed out to meet the expense!

A husband and wife (older couple) booked two different cruises and both times opted for the travel insurance. Just prior to the first cruise the husband became ill and had to cancel. They were refunded. Second cruise, the wife became seriously ill and had to cancel. Once again, they received a refund.

On our last cruise a piece of jewelry came up missing. Travel insurance covered the cost.

Most medical insurance policies WILL NOT cover your medical care once out of the U.S. Think hard about not opting for the coverage. Chances are you won't need it, but it is much better to be prepared!

Happy cruising!
Mary

Closed Thread

Tags
caribean, cruise, insurance, royal