Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 12:06 AM

Default Radiance Thoughts
As I mentioned, we had a wonderful time on the Radiance and loved both the ship and the port of Tampa. We had a wonderful encounter with our assistant waiter, a young Chinese lady in her 20's, who we hit it off with right away. We ran into her, as well as our waiter, at a Walmart in Tampa on departure day and it was a special moment. We wish her well in the future and hope to be exchanging e-mails in the future.

On a not so bright note, we had undoubtedly the worst cabin steward we have ever had and was the first one ever that we only gave the recommended amount to in tips. Still, it did not detract from our great cruise. One area that almost made the trip a disaster was in the area of the pre-cruise "enhancements". I always have something in the room for our daughter and my wife and this cruise was no different. I had the usual Bon Voyage chocolate cake in the room waiting on their arrival and one extra special surprise. Since this was the first time we had cruised right at Christmas, I ordered the Jolly Holly fully decorated and lit tree. I was nearly giddy as we entered the stateroom only to find no tree in place, only the cake. Thinking this was going to be a late arrival, I then asked our aforementioned terrible cabin steward to check on it. He never did, naturally and I then went to the guest services desk myself. After checking into it, I was given the sad news that no Christmas trees or flowers had been delivered to the ship!! This, despite the fact they had a record of it. I was devastated as this robbed me of an irreplaceable moment. Their response was that I was not going to be the only disappointed one and I left with an impression of an onboard credit coming to me. Nope, by the end of the cruise, it was clear that only a refund of the price was coming, that back to my card, and no good will gesture at all was made. Under normal circumstances, a refund would be fine but maybe I am just being too trivial. Fortunately, my wife had packed a small, prelit tree and I almost left it "knowing" the surprise I had preordered!! Boy, there would have been a surprise alright if I had left the other tree behind!! I am just really disappointed and hurt this didn't pan out and a little surprised at the lack of thought by the guest services staff. Am I just expecting too much? Still, the cruise was great and the port and ship are now our favorites!

1992 MV Royal Majesty
1993 MV Royal Majesty
1996 Sun Princess
2007 Liberty of the Seas
2010 Navigator of the Seas
2010 Radiance of the Seas
Old 12-31-2010, 12:46 PM

Sorry to hear about having problems on the Radiance. My Daughter had similar troubles when they cruised with us on the Navigator this month--only it was a special champagne and cheese tray that was suppose to be in their cabin for a romantic sail away--it was delivered the next afternoon but the champagne didn't come. People were saying that a lot of the problems were because some of the best of the staff from ships were on the Allure to help out. Not much of an excuse when it's at our expense. I'm happy to hear the rest of your cruise went well.

Sonny
Old 01-01-2011, 02:15 AM

Hello Sonny and Happy New Year. Sorry to hear your daughter had problems as well. I think this was a mix up on land vs. the ship staff but our cabin steward was definitely not up to speed!! On a bright note, we went Platinum with this cruise!!! Yeaaaaa!!! Now, how do you find out about those balcony discounts? We are already looking forward to the next one, maybe another Christmas cruise from Tampa on Jewel!! I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Allure.

1992 MV Royal Majesty
1993 MV Royal Majesty
1996 Sun Princess
2007 Liberty of the Seas
Old 01-01-2011, 06:37 AM

Sorry to hear about both of your problems, not very good excuses in my book. They know at Christmas people are going to be ordering special items for special surprises more than normal. Sonny, I am really surprised they treated your family that way. I guess loyalty means nothing anymore. However, I am so very happy that the cruises turned out great.

Bruce, I am so sorry your cabin steward was less than adequate. We've run into that only a couple of times. I guess it's not fair to compare, but when you've had wonderful service and don't get it, you know you're missing a special part of the cruise.

Happy New Year to all and I can't wait to see what your next voyage will be!
Old 01-01-2011, 03:15 PM

Hello and Happy New Year Penny. The funny thing that I mentioned to my wife about our cabin steward was that evidently, we gave him too much tip because he was still happy on the final day!!! Evidently, just giving the recommended amount vs. more than recommended, didn't get his attention. I told my wife that I felt like asking him for the envelope back and then removing money until the smile went away, at which point I would feel like it was the proper amount to get his attention!!! LOL!!!

1992 MV Royal Majesty
1993 MV Royal Majesty
1996 Sun Princess
2007 Liberty of the Seas
Old 01-02-2011, 01:00 PM

It sounds like it was a supplier problem. I sailed on the Monarch of the Seas December 6th. The ship was lovely decorated everywhere and had several Christmas trees which made for nice photo shots. Hopefully the Radiance was decorated as well and you were able to get some nice photos of your family celebrating Christmas on the ship.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:03 PM

Yes, the Radiance was decorated for Christmas, as all of our previous cruises in December have been. The decorations go up around Thanksgiving and it is lovely onboard. We had plenty of pics but the little tree for the cabin was supplied by us from home vs. a nice surprise that should have been waiting on my wife and daughter when they entered the cabin. You just can't get moments like that back, it is just a good thing we brought a tree from home. My special surprise for them was ruined though.

1992 MV Royal Majesty
1993 MV Royal Majesty
1996 Sun Princess
2007 Liberty of the Seas

Closed Thread

Tags
arrival, caribbean, christmas, cruise, forum, late, posts, radiance, reviews, roayl, sea, seas, tampa, thread, tips, tricks