Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 08:16 AM

Default Crown & Anchor Program Change
Royal Caribbean announced today that there are making some "enhancements" to their Crown & Anchor loyalty program.

Among the changes are the addition of two loyalty levels, and a difference in the way they calculate your level.

They are adding an Emerald Level status, and The Pinnacle level status.

Also, levels are now figured on the basis of days cruised, and not cruises taken. A 3-night cruise will no longer count the same as a longer cruise. The number of days you have cruised is converted to points.

When you sign into your Crown & Anchor account, the system will automatically convert your cruises into points, display your points and loyalty level.

You can read more about it here.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:34 AM

I think this change is long overdue.I see no losers as nobody was pushed back but speaking for myself it took me more than 10 years to make Diamond Plus. We have never taken less than a 7 day cruise. The 3 or 4 day sailings never went to places I wanted to go and we have never had a brand loyalty. We sailed Princess several times because of the intineries and Disney because we have kids. The last 3 years we have been doing the transatlantics which only earned us 2 points. Many people would do b2b on the Monarch or Majesty and by booking a suite get 4 pts on a 6 day cruise. The previous system was ripe for abuse. This was probably the only way RCCL was able to sell suites on these ships. The main reason to take a cruise should be you enjoy cruising,not to build up points. Rccl is getting more like Princess every day.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Administrator

There are some winners in the new system too. They gave 8 points for each cruise credit a member had, so Diamond members with 22 or 23 cruise credits jumped automatically to Diamond Plus today since they now have over 175 points.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Anyone else having trouble logging into your Royal Caribbean account? I'm curious as to how my past cruises were handled.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:56 PM
Administrator

I checked mine a little while ago and had no problems.

Here is another surprise with the new program - when Azamara became Azamara Club last year they said they were going to have a distinct loyalty program and RCI and Celebrity cruisers wouldn't get equal recognition, yet the new RCI program states that all 3 RCCL brands are covered, and you do get Azamara perks even if you've never sailed with them. So now I am top tier with Celebrity and Azamara Club because of my RCI cruises, yet I am two steps from top tier with RCI. Of course this has to do with Celebrity and Azamara not having as many levels, but it still seems strange. Sort of like only owning Chevrolets your whole life, but when you need a loaner car from the dealer they give you a Cadillac. Not disparaging RCI, but it is mainstream while the other two are premium lines.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Default question for Dave
So what is benefit to be Emerald member?
Old 01-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Administrator

cica,

If you are a C&A member, log on to the Royal Caribbean website and go to the C&A area and you'll see a detailed list of what each member level gets for perks.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:41 AM

I don't think I like the new system. If you were already Diamond or higher, it probably would not matter. I'll try not to read too much into one of the comments here but it does seem like there are an occaisional Diamond/Diamond Plus that would like to keep the number of others attaining this level down for a lot longer!! IF we could take more and longer cruises, we would. However, we had to settle for 2 cruises this year that were only 4 nights each. I much prefer 7 day or longer cruises, but with school age children and a teacher/wife, we are limited to when we can go.

Here is my example and why I am just a little aggravated. The so called "enhancements" are nothing of the sort. I had just got to the Platinum level with 5 cruise credits. I do not know how they figured these "points" but I now have 38 points. My next goal was Diamond at the old 10 cruise credits. We normally do Junior Suites, so in 3 more cruises, we would be Diamond regardless of length. For the sake of argument, lets say those next 3 cruises would have been 7 days. Now, to get to Diamond, I will need to do 4 cruises to go Diamond. If I could take 10 day or longer cruises, then yes, I would be able to go Diamond as quick or quicker. Any way that you want to figure it, there will be more time and money required to reach Diamond. If you are starting from scratch and only do a regular cabin and do all 7 day cruises, then under the old plan you would reach Diamond in 10 cruises, now it will take 12 cruises. You can say that this will reward those folks who take longer cruises more, but my view is that it will cut down on the number of new Diamonds. Sorry, but when you are on the outside looking in, you have a different viewpoint than the ones already there!

1992 MV Royal Majesty
1993 MV Royal Majesty
1996 Sun Princess
2007 Liberty of the Seas
2010 Navigator of the Seas
2010 Radiance of the Seas
Old 01-25-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cica View Post
So what is benefit to be Emerald member?

NONE!!! It is a level to make you feel better for taking longer to reach Diamond!!

1992 MV Royal Majesty
1993 MV Royal Majesty
1996 Sun Princess
2007 Liberty of the Seas
2010 Navigator of the Seas
2010 Radiance of the Seas
Old 01-25-2011, 07:36 AM
Administrator

I read on cruisemates that for those with 8 or more credits they gave seven points for each and added 13 to that total. Not sure what formula they used for seven or less credits. I think the idea was to ensure grandfathering took place. It has also become obvious over the years that RCI had made attaining diamond too easy so yes, it does appear they want to make it harder to reach without your cruising or paying more.

Closed Thread

Tags
anchor, caribbean, converting, crown, cruise, cruises, diamond, junior, loyalty, members, number, points, program, royal, suite, system, vs