Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 07:36 AM

Default Going to Kennedy Space Center after our cruise
Can someone PLEASE help me....I have been looking around the internet like crazy and can't seem to find an answer. My husband and I are interested in going to Kennedy Space Center after our cruise. In fact I think he is more excited about going to the Space Center. We will be arriving back into the port on a Sunday on Freedom of the Seas.

I am trying to find a way to the Space Center, and then on to the airport for an 8:30pm flight. I really don’t want to be rushed and would like to take advantage of the tours at the space center. He is so excited and since this cruise is a 20th anniversary celebration, I would like for him to enjoy every minute of it.

My first thought was to take the excursion offered by Royal Caribbean with a drop off at the airport, but the total excursion time is 3-5 hours…not nearly long enough for him to wander around and pretend he is an astronaut .

I am willing to get a rental car (because one of my concerns is where do we store our luggage), but when I looked at Enterprise it appears I can’t return the car to the airport. Hertz rental address was at Cape Canaveral…not sure how far this is from the Port)

If anyone can help me with this …you would be a gift sent from heaven. Here are my questions.

Can I get a car from the port and return it to the airport?

How long is the drive from the Port to the Space Center, and then to the airport?

Is there a specific tour you would recommend?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Look here for Avis info for Port Canaveral. I advise against the ship's tour to Cape Kennedy for another reason - they are often canceled because of a lack of interest. I've signed up twice for the tour and in both cases (one with Carnival and one with RCI) they canceled the tour because they didn't get the minimum number of people to buy it.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:38 AM

Thanks Dave,
In today's day and age where we get all of our info from the internet, I overlooked the obvious which was to call the Rental Car comapny direct.
I did call Hertz today and was able to make a reservation for p/u at the Port ( they assured me I would be able to get to Hertz easily) and to drop the car off at the airport. This will allow us to go at our own pace. Tell me, have you ever been there? I know you said that the tours you booked had been cancled.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Never been to the Cape. It isn't far though. You can see the VAB and other structures from the ship.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:54 AM

We toured Cape Kennedy a couple years ago after a Disney trip. It has changed a lot and they have added a lot of stuff. I can't remember the name of it but I highly recommend doing the bus tour that you sign up for once there. They take you to a lot of places that you normally couldn't go and provide lots of information. My wife was not looking forward to it, we had been years ago, but even she really enjoyed it. Your really need 2 days now to see everything, very nice place to visit.

1992 MV Royal Majesty
1993 MV Royal Majesty
1996 Sun Princess
2007 Liberty of the Seas
2010 Navigator of the Seas
2010 Radiance of the Seas

Closed Thread

Tags
airport, caribbean, center, cruise, forum, kennedy, long, post, royal, ship, space, time, tour, tours, transfer