Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   Is the time enough? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/36432-time-enough.html)

lovelingling 01-24-2011 11:41 AM

Is the time enough?

Hi,
We will take Apr24 Allure of the Seas cruise. The flight arrival time is 1:39pm at the airport of Fort Lauderdale. The ship will depart from port of Fort lauderdale at 5pm.
Will the three and half hours be enough? How long if i take a taxi from airport to port? How much?

Thank you in advance!

Luv2Cruise2007 01-24-2011 02:01 PM

No Way

There is no way I would run things that close. If your plane is delayed for any reason you could miss the ship. I always try to get to the port a day early. The day we board is a nice relaxing and exciting day. I think the stress of trying to get there the day of departure would make the first day a bit of a drag.

Dave 01-24-2011 03:02 PM

You also need to remove 90 minutes from that window because federal regulations require all passengers to be checked in and aboard the ship 90 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time. So now your flight arrives (assuming it is exactly on time which is rare these days) less than 2 hours from when you need to be aboard. You need to rebook an earlier flight as a minimum, and if you are doing that you may as well do as Luv2 recommends and book a new flight and a hotel for the day before the cruise. You'll be glad you did.

Taxi ride from FLL to Port Everglades is around $20. It is just a 10 minute ride. If you need to see proof of the 90 minute thing, look here.

Sandy 01-24-2011 04:19 PM

Are you checking luggage? If so, by the time you walk off the plane and wait for your luggage, you're really cutting it close.

Did you arrange your own flights, or did you buy air through Royal Caribbean?

lovelingling 01-24-2011 05:12 PM

Thank you for all reply.

We have not booked a flight yet.
We will book an earlier one.
Thank you for all of your reply!

Sonny V 01-24-2011 09:02 PM

I normally book a flight a day or two prior to my cruise date. My next cruise I'll be flying into Ft. Lauderdale on the same day the ship sails. My flight is scheduled to arrive at 11:30am and it's a direct flight. I would never attempt to fly the same day if I had a connecting flight.

electech 01-25-2011 09:57 AM

The advice given already is excellent. It is a good thing you asked before booking the flight. As Dave said, you must be onboard 90 minutes prior to departure. If any of your cruise docs need work, that will add to the delay. Since you haven't booked, make it real relaxing with an early morning flight or even better, a flight the day before.

f-mattox 01-25-2011 02:14 PM

Sonny, not to scare you or anything, but the last time we sailed out of Port Everglades our direct flight from L.A. was supposed to arrive at 11:30 a.m. for a 4:00 p.m. departure; but there was a 4 hour delay leaving L.A.; fortunately, we booked the air through Princess. We heard that there were 2 other flights even later than ours and we finally sailed at 6:30.

Wheels87 01-26-2011 03:48 PM

You have made a good choice to fly in earlier. Take my example:

I was flying in to San Juan last Saturday (the 15th) for my cruise leaving on Sunday the 16th. My flight out of Gulfport left an hour late due to a "Maintenance delay" that was stated would be no longer than 30 minutes. I then missed my connecting flight in Charlotte by literally seconds. The airline then booked us on the next open flight, which unfortunately, was eight and a half hours later! We then ended up taking a different flight to St. Thomas and then a connecting flight to San Juan. We finally arrived in San Juan about 7:20 in the evening and would have completely missed the ship if we had flown in on the day of our cruise. Also, the airline had misplaced our luggage and we spent the next hour trying to track it down. We arrived at La Concha (our hotel) at 9:00pm and it was really too late to do much of anything, although we did eat a great meal at the Italian restaurant in the San Juan Marriott.

The moral of the story: Never fly in on the day of your cruise unless you absolutely have to, especially to San Juan.

Good luck,

Brad

MCPayne 01-28-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f-mattox (Post 284908)
Sonny, not to scare you or anything, but the last time we sailed out of Port Everglades our direct flight from L.A. was supposed to arrive at 11:30 a.m. for a 4:00 p.m. departure; but there was a 4 hour delay leaving L.A.; fortunately, we booked the air through Princess. We heard that there were 2 other flights even later than ours and we finally sailed at 6:30.

Wow, f-mattox, I'm surprised they waited for those flights. Maybe because the flights were booked through them. On my last cruise, I thought I heard on the walkie-talkies that the RCI airport personnel had that a flight that was supposed to get in around 10:00 am was delayed until 1:15, and this was a 4:30 ship departure from Port Canaveral. We sailed on time, but I did see at our second port (Jamaica) that people with suitcases were headed towards the ship as we were going ashore for the day.