Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 04:35 AM

Default Freedom Flow Rider
Hello gang!

I just booked another cruise for my family on the Freedom on November 20th (Thanksgiving week).

Thus far, the biggest ship I have been on is the Adventure and I was wondering exactly how does the system work with the Flowrider on the Freedom. In particular, it seems to me that there would constantly be long lines and that any individual would get very limited time on it. Is that true?

I am just curious, so I can prepare my three children for the whole experience.

Thanks!

Brad

Old 01-30-2011, 07:27 AM

Hi Wheels.

I was on the Freedom last October. Yes, the lines are usually pretty long for the FlowRider. Check your cruise compass for the days and times it will be open. Also, there are both Boogie Boarding (or body boarding) and stand up surfing sessions. Again, check your cruise compass to see whether it is a surfing or boarding session. The way it works is they will let you ride the waves until you "wipe out," then you have to get out, and go back to the end of the line if you want to try again. The only exception might be if you wipe out within the first 10-20 seconds, then they may let you try again right away without getting back in line. The line I thought moved pretty quickly though.

Also, this is an activity that you have to sign a waiver for. Waivers will be on the same deck as the flow rider before you get in line.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 01-30-2011, 09:03 AM
Was on Freedom with one FlowRider and Oasis with two. Yes on sea days the lines will be long but my daughter and I never waited longer than 20 -25 mins at the worst. They will divide the FlowRider in half when really busy to move things along...there is still enough space to make a complete fool of yourself. Actually the boogie boarding is real easy and the staff will give you tips to survive your first ride.

My opinion is that the best FLowRider times is when the cruise is in port. Just check the schedule. On Oasis when we were in Nassua last August we returned to the ship early (1:00ish) and had the entire FlowRider to ourselves for about 30 mins. We actually got burned out on it and after awhile my 43 year old body said enough. Another tip is to make sure you sign all your waivers online in advance. This will save time even though you still have to get a wrist band. Have fun.....keep your knees bent and stay low if your trying surfing!
Old 01-30-2011, 11:30 AM

Yes the lines can be long at times but even while you are in line it is fun just watching everyone else do it. I could sit there for hours just watching, its a hoot.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the advice guys!

I can definitely imagine how watching people wipe out all day might be entertaining.

Take care,

Brad

Old 01-31-2011, 08:29 AM

They even have a viewing area for the people to watch the wipeouts!! My daughter kept trying to get me on there, she was too young, and I told her I didn't heal like I used to!!!

1992 MV Royal Majesty
1993 MV Royal Majesty
1996 Sun Princess
2007 Liberty of the Seas
2010 Navigator of the Seas
2010 Radiance of the Seas
Old 02-01-2011, 05:06 AM

Default Flow Rider
I also went this past October (Different week than MCPayne)..There is a line..Pretty much basketball court, mini golf, flow rider and the "wall climber" (can't remember real name) is all in one area. I went with husband, was too windy (beginning of cruise) to do miniture golf. Did not want to do flow rider (I did take surfing lessons..Well 1 surfing lesson) So I knew what to do..kind of, BUT with everyone watching (in somewhat small area) I didn't want to look like an idiot and get laughed at..
Someone had mentioned if you fall you loose your turn and have to get back in line..TRUE. I just couldn't see myself doing that..Knowing I would only last a few seconds, maybe a little more if I did bodyboarding..laying down. I did watch..Not too many people lasted more a minute or so.

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, cruise, flow, flowrider, freedom, lessons, long, private, reviews, rider, riding, royal, seas, sessions, ship, tips, wristband