Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   Back from Allure (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/36469-back-allure.html)

TexCruise 01-30-2011 02:50 PM

Back from Allure

Wow....what a great cruise! I'm horrible at writing reviews so, here's my take.

Embarkation: a breeze! We arrived at 11 a.m and was onboard by 11:30. We quickly went to the Park cafe for a light lunch of salad and a roast beef sandwich. Great!

Stateroom: 6170 (D8). Very comfortable balcony cabin on Deck 6. They did move the electrical outlets to the top of the table for much easier use vs. on the Oasis. Also, added an i-pod docking station.

Shows: Chicago is great with a wonderful cast, a must see. Oceanaria is also a must see, spectacular diving. We also, saw Taylor Swift in concert at the aqua theater. Though I've never been a big fan, she puts on a great show. We were very impressed.

Dining Room: We had table 131, table for 6. Food was very good! The only downer on this cruise was our wait staff...very, very slow. Some of what I am fixing to say are very small items but certainly a change from what we are used to seeing in the DR. Three nights, we waited 45 minutes to receive our appetizers. Other tables were well into their main course before we received ours (appetizers). Unused wine glasses were never removed from our table which made it very crowded. Sometimes we went 10-15 minutes before we would see our waiter much less the asst. waiter. . Glasses set empty, no bread ....no, well....nothing. The alternative menu was not included some nights, the ever present "would you like some pepper" never happened, the next day briefing was non-existant. We saw the head waiter only twice. Really weird experience. In all fairness, one of the couples were on a B2B and said the previous weeks experience was fantastic but, they sat at a different table.

Breakfast: We ate breakfast three mornings in the concierge lounge. That was pretty good. Three mornings from room service on our balcony and once in the Jammer the morning we got off the ship. That was also the only time we set foot in the Jammer.

Samba Grill: The dining highlight of our cruise. Fabulous! This is in the Solarium. You start out with a salad, soup and appetizer buffet. That is followed by a NINE meat variety brought one at a time to your table on the skewer where they carve it off for you. Way to much food...bring an appetite. The dancer was fabulous there also.

Giovanni's Table: We ate there for lunch and also dinner. Great food and service both times.

Chops: all I'm going to say is MMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Rita's Cantina: Very enjoyable and we thought the food was very good. The service was very slow but, they were extremely busy.

The weather was perfect with smooth sailing all week.

On Labadee we rented a cabana and loved every minute of that. Lunch there was very good. In Costa Maya, we went to the fishing village, found a couple of nice open air bars and enjoyed a beer or two along with some chips, guacamole and shrimp. On Cozumel, we hit a couple of our favorite spots to eat and basically just loafed around...........

We did express departure and was through customs by 6:45.

I'll be more than happy to answer any questions that anyone may have.

Wheels87 01-30-2011 03:45 PM

All in all, it sounds like you had a wonderful time. Welcome back!

Just one question...is the iPod docking station simply built in for charging purposes or was there a boom box of some sorts in the room?

Thanks,

Brad

TexCruise 01-30-2011 04:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheels87 (Post 285096)
All in all, it sounds like you had a wonderful time. Welcome back!

Just one question...is the iPod docking station simply built in for charging purposes or was there a boom box of some sorts in the room?

Thanks,

Brad

Brad

Charging station with a speaker....no boom box.

Wheels87 01-30-2011 06:06 PM

OK, great! I was just curious about what exactly it was. I personally would not play any music in my room for fear of disturbing someone else.

I really like the look of that Diamond Plus book. Hopefully someday I will be there.

Thanks,

Brad

electech 01-31-2011 08:26 AM

Sounds like a great time was had. My daughter is dying to go on the Oasis/Allure and I keep hoping the price will moderate a little. Did you feel crowded on the ship anytime? It looks like the cabins are very small, with the outside with balcony rooms under 180sf. Did you feel cramped in the cabin? Thanks for the review!

TexCruise 01-31-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electech (Post 285113)
Sounds like a great time was had. My daughter is dying to go on the Oasis/Allure and I keep hoping the price will moderate a little. Did you feel crowded on the ship anytime? It looks like the cabins are very small, with the outside with balcony rooms under 180sf. Did you feel cramped in the cabin? Thanks for the review!

Bruce, the rooms are the same as most any standard RCL balcony cabin. 194 sq ft I believe. We didn't feel cramped at all but it's just my wife and I. Only thing is that drawer space is cramped and not much storage shelf area in the bathroom.

As far as the rest of the ship being crowded, the only time it seems crowded is during the parades on the Promenade, sometimes just before the dining room doors open and the aft elevators just before and after dinner. Most of the time, it feels less crowded than other ships.

Hope that helps.

Cruise Fanatic 01-31-2011 04:54 PM

Central Park Balconies C1 & C2, Boardwalk Balconies B1 & B2, and Superior Balconies D1 through D8 all are 182 Square Feet. The space between the foot of the bed and wall was very tight in my Superior Balcony cabin.

penny3333 02-01-2011 10:08 AM

Welcome back, TexCruise! Sounds like a great cruise, except for the dining room. I am so sorry to hear service was that slow. Did you wait staff apologize? Did you tell the head waiter? I guess it would be hard to tell him/her if you only saw him/her twice. It is amazing the difference from ship to ship. However, it still doesn't sound normal for RCI.

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed the shows and the ship, though. I'd really like to cruise on either one. Maybe some day soon. I see you're off next on the Serenade. I do hope your dining room service is better!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a great review!

J and S 02-03-2011 02:44 AM

Me and my partner are looking at booking Allure on 1st October for 2 weeks. Due to us having to book back to back we have been told we would need to leave the ship and re book in again after 7 days but would keep the same cabin.

Does this mean we leave all our belongings in the room and simply get off and re check in?

Seems silly when we are booking and paying for 2 weeks?

Traveldesk 02-03-2011 12:27 PM

I am Going on the Allure March 20th and was wondering how the express departure works? Do you have to carry your own luggage out?
Do they have restrictions on how much you can carry?
We have a chance of getting a great airfare out of Ft. Lauderdale but the flight departs at 9AM.
Do you think we would make it?