Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 05:37 PM

Default How to pack for a cruise out of New York (weather change?)
Hi, I have cruised out of Florida before but now I am in a very different packing predicament. I will be cruising out of New York on Feb 18 for a 9 night to the Caribbean. That is two days down, 4 ports, and two days back up. I am looking for suggestions on how to pack for this change in climates and how quickly (first or second cruising day) does the boat get into warmer weather? How do I dress for evenings; is it warm enough inside the boat? The weather looks like it will be good in the Caribbean so I am just wondering how to pack for the way down. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Administrator

How quickly you reach warmer weather depends on...the weather. Next week is supposed to be warmer in the south, which usually means the same for the Atlantic but you never can really tell for sure.

You need to pack like you are going to Alaska, which means layering. Bring a couple sweaters and perhaps a windbreaker type of jacket. That way you can adjust your attire as conditions change during the days at sea.

Most ships are cool inside, even in the dead of summer in the Caribbean. So once again those sweaters might be useful. I'd also consider some long-sleeved shirts or tops.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Dave has good advise. We took a cruise last month out of Baltimore and ended up wearing the same pair of jeans and one pair of sweats for days. We learned our lesson about packing when cruising from a cold port in the winter. The life boat drill was absolutely frigid. They keep the interior climate controlled but it never really was snuggie warm. I'd plan on at least 3 or 4 days of it not being shorts weather on deck.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:54 PM

I had to buy a sweatshirt on my cruise last week. I should have packed one, but forgot. Layers are the way to go. You'll probably hit warm weather by the second or third day. As soon as you do, they'll crank the air conditioning up full blast on board. I always take a sweater to wear in the public areas on the ship. You will have a thermostat in your cabin, so you can regulate the temperature there. You'll probably have to adjust it again after the cabin steward leaves, they seem to love to keep the cabins icy.

Have a marvelous cruise!
Old 02-16-2011, 03:48 PM

I did a Caribbean cruise out of New York a couple of years ago. What I really liked doing is putting on my coat, taking a lounge chair on an outdoor deck, and sitting there to read, watch the ocean, and contemplate life for a while. It's brisk and invigorating, not crowded, and the freshest air you'll ever breathe.

It's also fun to take a sweatshirt and do some power walking around the deck. Before you know it, you'll be in warmer weather.

Closed Thread

Tags
baltimore, bring, caribbean, carribean, cruise, cruising, leaving, ny, nyc, pack, port, reviews, ship, weather, york