Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 03:45 PM

Default Oasis - March 26 Carib sailing -Help please?
1. holding cabin 10639 for me . good choice or bad?
2. arriving flight arrives FLL 2pm day of sailing. boat sails at 5pm are we OK?
3. departure flight leaves FLL at 11:30 am . are we OK?
any other thoughts? advice? tips? thanks!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Which cabin you have on the Oasis doesn't matter much. They are all comfortable.

Booking a flight which arrives at FLL at 2pm was a bad idea. Although the ship has a published sailing time of 5pm, federal security rules require all passengers to be checked in and aboard no later than 90 minutes prior to the published sailing time. This means that you must be aboard by 3:30pm even if you do the on-line check in at the Royal Caribbean website (which you really need to do at least 3 days prior to the cruise). They can and will refuse to let you board, and you won't get your money back. The only likely exception would be if you booked your air through Royal Caribbean. If you booked your own air I'm going to tell you straight up - you need to rebook for a flight that arrives no later than 12:30pm. And since you need to do that, you really should consider flying down a day early and spending the night in a hotel.

The departure flight should be okay.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:17 PM

Thanks dave. That is good info. I haven't actually booked flights yet . but I will this weekend.
What about the return flight ay 11am? ship docks at 7am. can I arrange early de-barkation?
any other tips, advice to make for "smooth sailing" for a cruise virgin???
Old 02-25-2011, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Early debarkation can be done by what is called "self-debarkation". This means you have to be able to handle ALL of your luggage with NO assistance and be be able to carry it off the ship. This is the first group called to leave the ship.

You likely would have no problem making an 11am flight from FLL. That is the earliest I'd go with. Now, people often post how they made a flight at 9am with time to spare. That is taking a huge risk. There are variables. The ship could be late arriving. Customs could have problems which delay debarkation (been there...twice). Do not ever assume that the ship will definitely arrive at the advertised time.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:42 AM

Hi jargey.

Just thought I would offer my advise as well, although Dave gives pretty good advice. As he stated, the all aboard call for embarkation is 90 minutes prior to sailing. Even though FLL is only about 10 minutes from Port Everglades, I would plan on a flight arriving in the morning before noon if you must fly down the day of. I've done this on my past cruises, and never had a problem. My home airport is a hub, so I'm lucky that there are multiple flights, including early morning flights, down to Florida.

As far as your return flight, I've always booked an early afternoon flight for the reasons Dave stated. Also, from what I've read in another post, if there are multiple ships loading / unloading, the roads in Port Everglades can get backed up onto the highways. If you did book that 11:00 am flight, I would do self debarkation. Like Dave stated, you must be able to physically carry off your own luggage with no help from the staff.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 02-26-2011, 09:43 AM
Talking
The terminal at FLL gets really crowded...Best advice is to fly in early, or as Dave has indicated, come a day early....I was on the Oasis last January and what a treat you have in store....remember to book your reservations for all the shows....they fill up fast and you don't want to miss any of them.....Happy sailing....

Bob E
Old 02-26-2011, 06:39 PM

I was on the Allure last week and was surprised on how fast debarkation was. I left the ship a 9:20am and was in the airport by 10am. I got a porter to take our luggage to cab, and got another porter at the airport. I wouldn't worry about your departure flight. I wouldn't even think about schlepping my luggage off the ship. Your luggage will be waiting for you in the terminal shortly after 8am.

Our arrival flight was at 11:08 and we were aboard the ship noon. I don't usually fly in on the day of departure, but I had a non-stop flight for a really low fare compared to the day before the cruise. You may need to bring along some oxygen...the ship is breath taking.

Sonny
Old 02-28-2011, 09:26 AM

Thanks for that info. I've now booked to come in a day early, and departure flight is at 1:45pm ...so I should be OK?
Now, some other questions...
Reserve for the shows? I thought you just "showed up"? Shows how much I know.
PLEASE - any other stress-relieving tips for novices that would make my pre-cruise AND crusie more enjoyable, less hassles ...?
what about the dreaded "dinining times" ?
and any tips on liquor? wine? all I hear is that $$$ takes the fun out of this aspect of cruising?
Thanks in advance!!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:29 AM

Your flight times are perfect.

You can reserve days and times for your shows in advance, if you'd like. When it's show time, they let the folks in first who have reservations. Then ten minutes before the start of the show, they open the doors to everyone, assuming there's still space left.

As for dining in the dining room, you can request Main Seating or Late Seating in advance, or you can opt for Anytime seating. If you do Main or Late, your dining time is the same every evening, at the same table with the same people. That is, of course, for the nights you eat in the dining room. There are many other places to eat dinner, some which are included in your price, and some of which charge a surcharge.

If you do Anytime dining, you can show up at the dining room any time you want, and be seated in turn. There may be a short wait if you get there at the more popular dinner times. If you're willing to sit at a table with other people, your wait won't be as long as if you request a table for 2. Or, you can make a reservation in the dining room if you know earlier in the day what time you think you'll want to eat that evening.

it sounds complicated, but it's not. You'll get the hang of it very quickly. It's just that the Oasis offers so much in the way of choice of dining spots, but you'll find your favorites quickly.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargey3000 View Post
Reserve for the shows? I thought you just "showed up"?
and any tips on liquor? wine? all I hear is that $$$ takes the fun out of this aspect of cruising?
It is strongly recommended that you book shows online before your cruise. They open them up for booking around 90 days before sailing. You just sign into your account on the Royal Caribbean website and access your booking. You can book lots of stuff there. Shows, specialty dining, excursions. You can also buy soda, juice, or bottled water packages. Having a reservation means you won't miss the shows you want to see. They have to do this since "just showing up" doesn't work when you have 6000 passengers and limited seating in the venues.

Do not take any alcohol aboard the ship. It is against the rules and they do search for it in luggage. You can buy wine packages on board which offer some savings. They do not have a liquor or beer package, but they do have a drink special each day. Drinks are not cheap, but they are priced like any land-based resort or luxury hotel.

Closed Thread

Tags
allure, board, caribbean, cruise, departures, early, flight, leaves, luggage, march, oasis, royal, sailing, selfdebarkation, shows, time, wine