Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Administrator

As someone who has personally operated an evaporator on a ship at sea (the device we used to convert seawater to freshwater), the water is actually more neutral chemically, and with fewer dissolved solids such as minerals, than what you get from a water faucet at home. The water also undergoes many filtrations before being used aboard the ship. Ships also do take on freshwater in ports so they can top off the potable water tanks. This is typically done on embarkation day. Desalination plants cannot normally be used in pier areas because of the contaminants in the water such as oil.

Cruising isn't for everyone. As can be seen in this thread, it can arouse passions among those of us who look at a cruise as our preferred vacation. Those of us who have done it many times understand the process and know what to expect. This is why it is important for new cruisers, or even those who have cruised before but it was several years ago, to use an agent who is experienced in booking cruises. It also shows how the importance of coming to forums such as ours can prepare you for the cruise.

Cruising has undergone a paradigm shift in the past decade. What once was is no longer. A mainstream cruise is very much an ala carte vacation these days.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
(Carnival has assistant Stewards. I think the main Steward shares tips with them. They mostly bring things like ice and make the bed, vacuum etc.)

What does the main Room Steward do, then?
Probably all that too plus extra like making towel animals.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:45 PM
Cruising is not for everyone, and I know that for sure after the last time with my family cruise on Liberty. I help them arrange everything from cruise,air fare,hotel,transportation. It was their first cruise, and it was a pain to see them so bored,they spent a lot of time sleeping in their cabin, acting like they would rather go back home than stay on the ship. It brought me down for a couple days before I realized it was my vacation too, too bad if they don't like it, I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.

Learned my lesson, will never ever cruise with them again!
After that my husband and I went on Navigator for 4 nights, we did not want to go home.
No, I don't think twice before a cruise, I think about cruises every second of my life! It was a blessing to able to go on a cruise these days! It true that sometimes little imperfect things happen on a cruise, but with a big smile, and positive attitude, everythings going to be all right.
2011 - Navigator of the Seas
2011 - Jewel of the Seas
Old 03-18-2011, 09:44 PM

Good Point! Same thing when I took my sister on a cruise. She didn't like it all that much. I couldn't figure it out as I was having a great time. Guess we are all different. It is my Vacation of choice.

Someone posted a long while back about cruising traditions and what are yours?

My answer was that I hop on the ship from the gangway and proclaim "I am Home!"
Old 03-20-2011, 07:46 AM

Hello everyone!!!

Reading this thread has really got me thinking that cruising may not be for me. I guess I shouldn't have had the time of my life on all of the previous cruises that I have been on and should have complained about having to spend a few dollars on an exotic Caribbean vacation instead. What was I thinking. I guess I should cancel my three upcoming trips and instead go to Vegas and hit the club scene with my wife and three daughters. NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

I think that the original poster must be a spy from some popular all-inclusive resort who is simply trying to discourage people from cruising. I know everyone has a right to their opinion, but it should be clear to anyone reading these forums that we are all already sold on the idea of cruising and that making ridiculous (probably fictitious) statements is not going to make anyone here stop cruising.

Penny and Sandy...you guys are just so nice to everyone; I wish I could share your always joyous attitude. I just get mad when someone is clearly trying to stir up trouble in our forums. I seem to remember a thread a while back that really got me going and this reminds me of that situation.

I'm with you, Sonny!!!

Take care all,

Brad

Old 03-20-2011, 09:29 AM

Brad, thanks for your nice words. Actually, I was trying to point out that many of her complaints were due to reality of cruising not meeting her unrealistic expectations. Whether that was from a lack of initial information or if she's just someone who always finds fault, we don't know and frankly, I don't care. We have many people who come here to find information, who never post, and I wanted to make it clear to someone considering a cruise for the first time that jrh20's complaints and responses are not typical.

So far, she's what we call a "drive-by poster," as she hasn't been back since posting that message. We get several of those a year, folks who think they're going to move market share away from a specific cruise line or type of vacation by one complaint. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to respect. The good news for new cruisers reading those messages is all the responses to the contrary that are generated. Posting negative comments like that on a forum meant for, and populated by, cruise lovers, can only result in mostly affirmations of cruising. And for that, we thank her!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:26 AM

I just can't imagine not having a great time. My hubby would not care if he didn't go on a cruise, but I sure would. He always has a great time, but he's the type that would rather sit in front of a tv than go on an adventure. That is unless it's a motorcycle race.

I'd love to book one where we could go to either an F1 race or a MotoGP race while we were in a port, of course in the med, then we'd see him light up.

If my pocketbook could handle it, I'd be gone every month!
Old 03-22-2011, 12:51 PM

Sonny is right on. If you don't have fun on a cruise it's no ones fault but your own. The cruise lines do all they can do to make sure everyone enjoy's themselves but there are just some people you can't please...period.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:57 PM

Sandy, my wife and I just returned from Carnival Spirit and we found out we had asst room stewards. Another passenger joked that the assisstants did the work and the room steward was the pr person. I guess that's why we always saw him. Either way, the room was spotless.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:56 PM

We were on the Celebrity Eclipse last month and we had an assistant stateroom attendant also. Our main room attendant told us the assistant did the bathrooms (and he did!). Our room attendant was the best we have ever had: hard worker, very personable, and fun to talk to. Maybe he had that little extra time because of his assistant.

Nadine

Closed Thread

Tags
back, bring, caribbean, carribean, convert, cruise, fresh, line, port, review, reviews, seawater, ship, things, time, water