Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 02:45 PM

Default New cruiser now a bit nervous
I am heading out on Oaisis of the Seas March 26th.

Since this is my first cruise, I am a bit nervous with the motion sickness potential. What are the best motion sickness medicines? How soon do you need to take them? Are there any side effects or downsides of taking them?

I have dinner reservations, most of the entertainment reservations, sea passes ready to go.

I am uncertain on which if any excursions to decide on. So many choices, should I wait until I am on the boat to make a choice?

What else should I be thinking of? Any advice for the first time cruiser is welcome.

After reading the previous post, I am a bit nervous. Any comments are welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Newbie.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:09 PM

Welcome Newbie!!!

First of all...don't be nervous about anything at all. As long as you and your party show up at the pier on time with the appropriate boarding documents, you would have to try really hard not to have a great time. That being said, I would recommended that you try to get your excursions booked now, rather than waiting because the best ones do tend to fill up.

As far as motion sickness, since you are traveling on the Oasis, which is truly the state of the art, you will likely not have any problems with motion sickness. However, if anyone in your party is especially susceptible, or in case of rough seas, my advice would be to visit your primary care provider this week and ask for a prescription for Scopolamine patches. They are tiny, circular band-aid looking things that you stick behind your ear and they are not available over the counter. The best thing to do is to put the patch on about four hours or so before you set sail for maximum effectiveness. A single patch is good for three days and they typically come in a box of four. I know that some of the other folks on here have remedies that work, and I will let them tell you about their methods of choice. I can say that medically, scopolamine has been shown to be quite effective in combating motion sickness. Also, the patches are not cheap, so depending on whether or not you have insurance that will pay for them, you may want to make another choice.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!!!

Brad

Old 03-20-2011, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Don't be nervous! The Oasis is one of the most stable ships ever built. You usually won't even know you are moving. All modern ships have stabilizers which are like the fins on a humpback whale. They minimize roll, but as I said the Oasis has a very stable design and you wouldn't feel any motion unless it was really rough - and it usually isn't.

Excursions you can book on-line will close out soon for a March 26 sailing, so you likely will have to wait until aboard the ship to make any reservations for tours.

Nobody can really recommend tours for you since it depends on what you like or want to do. But then the Oasis Of The Seas is it's own excursion, with so much to do and see. For a first cruise you are starting out at the top as far as going on an innovative ship with tons of choices for virtually everything.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:12 PM

Also, if you are worried after reading the post by jrh20, don't be..."Those results are not typical."

Have fun,

Brad

Old 03-20-2011, 03:31 PM

These patches are available over the counter in Ontario. We also take gravol with us which is great. We talk to our doctor last week about the patches as you use to have to get a note from the doctor, but she say now it's available over the counter.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:42 PM
The only thing you need to worry about is how you're going to pay for your new addiction. People go on that first cruise thinking that it's a once in a lifetime experience.
Then suddenly you're asking how can I get back out there. Then you start realizing that cruises leave from many coastal ports and by skipping airfare, you can go on a longer cruise. Oh you should worry alright. But not that you won't have a good time...more how you'll get through the 51 weeks that you're not on a ship! You and I will be on St. Maarten on the same day with 17,000 of our new closest friends. I'll be the one in the swimsuit, coverup an flip flops...at least until I get to Orient beach! ;-)

~
~ ~
____/7__/7__/7__________
\ :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: /
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antigua Travel Deals & Special Offers

Last edited by poormom; 03-20-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:33 PM

Thumbs up Thank you for all the feedback!
Quote:
Originally Posted by poormom View Post
The only thing you need to worry about is how you're going to pay for your new addiction. People go on that first cruise thinking that it's a once in a lifetime experience.
Then suddenly you're asking how can I get back out there. Then you start realizing that cruises leave from many coastal ports and by skipping airfare, you can go on a longer cruise. Oh you should worry alright. But not that you won't have a good time...more how you'll get through the 51 weeks that you're not on a ship! You and I will be on St. Maarten on the same day with 17,000 of our new closest friends. I'll be the one in the swimsuit, coverup an flip flops...at least until I get to Orient beach! ;-)
Thank you for all the feed back! Which is the best beach on St. Thomas and St. Maarten?
Old 03-21-2011, 04:16 AM

So you want to know which is the best beach on St. Thomas and on St. Maarten? Wow, that is a tough one to answer. I am sure that you will get a little piece of everyone's opinion, and I guess I will go ahead and offer mine.

St. Maarten -- There are numerous choices, all of which are simply beautiful. I have personally been to Pinel Island to a private beach club which was beautiful and also to Mullet Bay Beach which was also very beautiful. Both were a little smaller and very quiet. If you have ever seen any of the videos floating around the internet of the huge planes landing right over a beach, that is Maho Beach and it is also beautiful, but you will occasionally have planes landing directly over the top of you there. Several of the catamaran snorkel tours will take you snorkeling and then stop at a beach as well. Of course, if you are really adventurous, you can go to Orient Bay Beach which is on the French side of the island and is officially topless. I have personally never been there.

St. Thomas -- In my opinion, and I'm sure Penny will second this, the best beach to go to is called Trunk Bay and it is located on St. John. You have to take a taxi to a town called Red Hook followed by a ferry boat to St. John and then another taxi to the beach. I know it sounds complicated, especially for a first time cruiser, but it is really easy and there will be lots of other folks doing the same thing. It is truly one of the most beautiful places on the planet! There is also an underwater snorkel tour that you can take on your own that is awesome. You can rent snorkel equipment right there on the beach for $5. As far as staying on St. Thomas, the most highly recommended beach is called Magen's Bay and it is also quite beautiful. You can simply get off of the ship at the terminal and ask for a taxi to take you there. It is simpler to get there than Trunk Bay and it is also very very nice. Either choice would be great.

Well, I hope this helps. I am sure that some of the more experienced folks will give you even more information, but since these are two of my favorite places, I wanted to chime in.

Good luck,

Brad

Old 03-21-2011, 04:24 AM

Smile
On a read from Penny, we went to Megan's Bay (Beach) the last time we were in St.Thomas. It was easy to get to on our own as there are many vehicles waiting just off the pier and you can get there quickly. You will have to pay an entrance fee but the beach and the calmness/beauty is just wonderful..We spend some time there and then we stopped at Paradise Point on the way back to the ship. We have been to St.Thomas 4 times and wanted to try this several times but never left a sufficient time to do it. A great (short) ride up and a beautiful view of the bay and surrounding islands..Enjoy your cruise.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 03-21-2011, 05:57 AM

Hi Newbie! You've recieved some wonderful advice from some very experienced cruisers!

I really wouldn't worry about motion sickness. You can get the patches, but if you don't, ginger, bonine, and green apples work great. Also, a Sprite or 7Up with bitters works wonders, too.

I totally agree with Trunk Bay, it is one of the top 10 beaches in the world. However, if you want to stay on St. Thomas, Magen's Bay or Coki Beach are two of the best for ammenities, great water, and nice beaches. The snorkeling in Coki is pretty good, too. The snorkeling at Sapphire Beach is much better, but the beach itself is not as nice. There are tons of little rocks along the shore. Trunk Bay is just magnificent. There is a self-guided snorkeling trail about 50 yards from the beach. It is a bit of a journey, but well worth it.

St. Maarten has tons of nice beaches. Orient is a clothing optional beach, Maho is where the jets land nearly on top of you, Pinel Bay is nice too. The last time we were there we did a snorkling trip through the ship to the Tiki Hut. It wasn't a beach, but a nice set up on a floating dock. You could snorkel, swim, sit back and enjoy a drink at the bar or in your floating chair. The operators were wonderful and would take you back to the ship or to town for shopping.

Hope you have a marvelous time, and as poormom said, just be warned, cruising is addictive!

Closed Thread

Tags
ahead, caribbean, cruise, hours, maartin, nervous, oasis, optional, patch, royal, scopolamine, sea, seas, seasick, seasickness, sickness, st, time