Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 03:15 PM

Default costa maya
Hi everyone!
I have a question about costa maya, I havent been to this port before and I don't know what to expect! Is it an area where it is completely secluded and you have to book an excursion or is it similar to cayman islands for example, where the surrounding areas are developed and there are things to do? If it is an excluded area and its best to book an excursion do you think that there are people offering things to do for a cheaper price because I know that there are opportunities like that in jamaica and cayman islands. Also what do you guys think about the safety in mexico? I'm hearing on the news that its pretty dangerous right now because of drug lords, should we just stay close to the port??
Thank you to anyone who is willing to help!!
Old 03-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Welcome to CruiseReviews, jdave222!

Costa Maya is a "fake" port in that it didn't really exist until Carnival Corporation helped the Mexican government build it as a new place to go. It is a dock with a touristy open air village that resembles the American idea of a Mexican village, with bars, shops, eateries, and pools. A mile or so south is a real Mexican village where you can also get beach time and pay a lot less for food and drink. This is a safe area. The drug stuff has stayed mostly to the north and west. I wouldn't feel unsafe in the Costa Maya area, but I'd probably book any tours with the ship and not locally if I was going off the beaten path. Although if just going to the real Mexican town I'd have no problem booking a little excursion privately for the surrounding area.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:53 PM

We have been to Costa Maya a couple of times. Like Dave said, there is a nice shopping area at the port.

In addition, the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins are located relatively near this port. We have taken the ship's excursion to the ruins and were glad we did. Learning about the Mayan culture was so interesting. We recommended the excursion to some friends and they enjoyed it, also.

Nadine
Old 03-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Default Diverted
We were diverted to Costa Maya last August on Oasis due to a hurricane. Did not know anything about the port but as Dave stated it is very man made. My family (wife & two daughters) did the Jeep Excursion down the coast to a private little beach area. I have to say that it was very fun and beating up on a fairly new jeep was pretty cool (trying to keep up with the pack). After the excursion we went back to the port area and did some shopping. There is a huge free "bar type" pool with great views of the ship. Water was super warm and we had a blast. Check out a short clip of the pool and my daughter calling the dancing ladies "Inappropriate "...lol. YouTube - Oasis of the Seas Costa Maya Also found this clip from another person that captures the port pretty well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oywza...eature=related

Last edited by 417rogers; 03-21-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:07 AM

Costa Maya is just as everyone has stated. However, Majual is the fishing village that is just about a mile away from the pier. You can rent golf carts there. There's a nice little beach in Majual, a town of about 100, mainly a fishing village. There's a cute little bar/restaurant on the beach.

We did a fantastic snorkel through the ship. It goes to the same reef that you snorkel on in Belize and Roatan. Honestly a great snorkel trip. They were building more "Americanized" attractions, like a Senor Frogs. There is a museum there, but we didn't go in it. I would have liked to have done the ruins, too, but didn't have the time. I would not mind going back at all.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:23 AM

Thank you so much for the videos, that really helps a lot! God you are so lucky to go on Oasis!!!
Old 05-06-2011, 06:36 AM

During our Radiance-cruise last october we checked out the "Maya Chan Beach Resort", a private all-inclusive-beach a few miles south. It was really beautiful and a relaxing day, much better then the area near the pier... .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mayachan.JPG (77.8 KB, 1 views)
# 2008 | Voyager of the Seas | Mediterranean Cruise
# 2009 | Independence of the Seas | Italian Mediterranean Cruise
# 2009 | Navigator of the Seas | Short Western Med Cruise
# 2010 | Radiance of the Seas | Western Caribbean
* 2011 | Mariner of the Seas | Western Mediterranean Cruise

Last edited by slv; 05-06-2011 at 07:09 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
build, carnival, costa, cruise, dangerous, fake, forum, maya, port, resorts, reviews, safe, safety, thing, things