Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 07:40 PM

Default Gratuities going up
We just booked the Jewel Aug 31,2012 and am doing MTD . MTD requires you to pay your tips in advance. The increase amounts to about 13$ a week which I personally think is long overdue. I am not sure if this takes affect on currant sailings since this is 16 months away. This sailing is by far the best intinerie we have booked in years.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:48 AM

I agree, Casey & Kathy, the crew work way too hard for way too little money.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:54 AM
I hate to show my ignorance, but what is MTD and why are you "required" to pay gratuities in advance? I know some like to do that as an option; but I would like to see how the service is before deciding how much to tip. I do agree with Penny: most crew deserve more than they ever get--but there are occasionally some who do not.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f-mattox View Post
I hate to show my ignorance, but what is MTD and why are you "required" to pay gratuities in advance? I know some like to do that as an option; but I would like to see how the service is before deciding how much to tip. I do agree with Penny: most crew deserve more than they ever get--but there are occasionally some who do not.
MTD is "My Time Dining" - - gratuities would be pre-paid in this instance because you won't be having the same wait staff everynight. This guarantees ( ? ) that everyone serving for "freestyle dining venue" gets a share of the gratuities.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:09 AM
Thank you very much, susanmaz; now I understand. That is like Princess' Anytime Dining; but on Princess you don't pay in advance--it is added to your onboard account daily, and you have the option of increasing or decreasing the amount if you wish.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f-mattox View Post
Thank you very much, susanmaz; now I understand. That is like Princess' Anytime Dining; but on Princess you don't pay in advance--it is added to your onboard account daily, and you have the option of increasing or decreasing the amount if you wish.
On Carnival it is called Your Time Dining. They add it to your Sail & Sign account the first day. You can increase or decrease it at will.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:02 AM

Smile
f-Mattox, we enjoyed Anytime Dining on Princess in February and the charge was added, as you say, each day. After being on the ship a couple of days, I realized that I did not get a receipt in some cases when ordering a drink at the pool, or on one occasion, for a bottle of wine. I do like to have my receipts just as a reference point to check the ending tab later on. Since I did not have all my receipts, I went to passenger services and asked for a copy of my charges. Things on Princess are done a little differently than our last trip on RCI. Princess has the charges kept seperately for each person in the cabin. Sooooo, I came away with pages for each of us...As I scanned them later in the evening, I found that there were charges of $10.50 on each of our pages..I found them appearing in the early morning hours and immediatley thought that someone was charging on our accounts. I was almost at the point of heading to the desk to find out what was going on when the light bulb suddenly went on....Seperate gratuity charges for each of our billings were being done...Oh, would I have been embarrased to be standing in the line asking for an explanation of someone charging on my account. First time doing open dining and we found it worked very well for us.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
amount, anytime, caribbean, charge, day, dining, everyone, freestyle, gratuities, gratuity, include, increase, mtd, prepaid, princess, rci, royal, tip