Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 07:16 PM

Default Explorer Of The Seas dinning options
I am thinking of taking the Explorer Of The Seas this would be my first royal Caribbean cruise. I have been on 6 or 7 Carnival cruises and have been told the food is much better on Carnival. I have also been told that many of the dinning options you have to pay for on RC.

Can someone tell me which dinning options do you pay extra for on the Explorer Of The Seas and how much more do you pay.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:31 AM

I've enjoyed several RCI cruises and have been on both the Explorer and Majesty of the Seas.
I also enjoyed my first Princess cruise this past February and I have found the food on both cruise lines to be equally good. Food is a personal experience that equates to varying degrees of acceptability depending on many issues. What one person may rate as first class and top notch may not be what another would consider the same.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 05-07-2011, 06:11 AM

I don't know how anyone could say that the food on Carnival is that much better than Royal Caribbean. I have been on ships from both fleets and would say that the food is fairly comparable. If you put a gun to my head and forced me to choose one as being better, I would give a slight edge to Carnival.

As far as paying for food...both lines have specialty restaurants that you can pay to eat in. The only difference that I know of (and this may have changed) is that now, in the main dining room, Royal Caribbean now makes some of their finer main courses from the specialty restaurants available for an extra charge. You do not have to choose that option and you can still get the same great menu in the main dining room for free. It is a shame that people have twisted this to mean something else for propaganda purposes.

All in all, I have found Carnival and Royal Caribbean to be quite comparable. If you like the massive mega-ships, then Royal Caribbean wins, however, if you like the ultimate value with a slightly larger stateroom for less money, then Carnival wins.

Good luck and let us know how you feel after you return. Just do yourself a favor and don't go into it with any preconceived notions.

Have a great cruise!

Brad

Old 05-07-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akatzwaa View Post
I am thinking of taking the Explorer Of The Seas this would be my first royal Caribbean cruise. I have been on 6 or 7 Carnival cruises and have been told the food is much better on Carnival. I have also been told that many of the dinning options you have to pay for on RC.

Can someone tell me which dinning options do you pay extra for on the Explorer Of The Seas and how much more do you pay.
To answer the question which do you pay for: Johnny Rocket's has a nominal surcharge of $4.95 per person.
You will pay for ice cream at Ben & Jerry's, and any speciality coffees (Lattes, cappuccino,etc) & teas at the Cafe Promenade.
The speciality restaurant Portofino has a surcharge. It's $20-$25 p.p.

Meals in the main dining room and at the Windjammer cafe are complimentary. There is no charge for ice cream served on the menu in the dining room. Also, coffee in the main dining room or at the Windjammer is complimentary. You should also find regular coffee served 24hours complimentary. There's no reason you need to pay extra for any food if you don't choose to do so.

Last edited by Cruise Fanatic; 05-07-2011 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Price of Portofino
Old 05-25-2011, 02:27 PM

The main dining room also offers a finer steak at 14.95 as an option. Each nite there is a steak on the menu that is at no extra charge.

You will love the Explorer. We have been on her many many times. Excellent crew. Portofinos is well worth the surcharge.

Happy Sailing!

Closed Thread

Tags
alcohol, cafes, caribbean, charge, dining, explorer, extra, main, meals, menus, oasis, rci, regular, restaurants, royal, seas, sneak, specialty