Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 12:26 PM

Default What to Wear?????
Hello - We are going on a 9 night cruise out of Bayonne and a few weeks are were looking for help with the dress code!!!! We were planning on wearing suits for the 2 formal nights but wanted to know about how we should dress for the other nights. Their is one smart casual night and the other are casual. Do people wear jeans and can we wear jeans to dinner on the smart causal nights with a dress shirt and shoes or would we feel out of place and under dressed? please help us with the dress code!! we know what the web sight says but were looking for another perspective. thank you!
Old 06-14-2011, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Welcome to Cruise Reviews!

Jeans always spark a debate. Personally I don't have a problem with them on casual nights, especially since Royal Caribbean sometimes will have country-western night or a 1950s night. As long as a collared shirt and shoes are worn with the jeans, and they are neat and not full of holes or frayed, then it shouldn't be a problem. Once you are seated nobody knows what kind of pants you're wearing anyway.

I usually wear Docker style pants on casual nights with a golf shirt. I think this is predominant. It can depend on the itinerary too.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:10 AM

For the formal night (we did not go) we both brought suits (I had a skirt suit). For casual nights I wore skirts (very casual skirts with either somewhat dressy shirt or polo shirt). Husband wore Dockers with polo shirt.

I still get confused over casual and smart casual..So I just wore skirts, and husband wore dockers with polo shirts, and we both wore dress shoes (no sneakers/flip flops). We did not have to worry about being over dressed on either night. Not quite sure on jeans for smart casual..I honestly do not remember seeing people wearing jeans for smart casual night.

I remind everyone to make sure the man has dress socks and plain white tshirts. My husband forgot both..Freedom did sell dress socks, but did not sell plain white tshirts. He was stuck wearing tshirt with pictures/writing on back of shirt. (He wore pink and white dress shirts so you could see writing/pics) Enjoy crusie

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-15-2011, 05:27 AM

Hi ccarrelha, welcome to CruiseReviews.

They really do not want jeans in the dining room, however, more and more are wearing them. I have seen people turned away for them, but not on Royal (another cruise line). Dockers, sun dresses, dress pants, polos, golf shirts, skirts, etc. are fine. Wear what you would to go to an upscale restaurant and you should be fine. If you don't want to, you most certainly do not have to eat in the dining room for dinner. The buffet is always available. Do remember your socks and undershirts, though, Candice R is right. The shops do not carry everything you need. Although, they are pretty well stocked I forgot Q-tips once, and sure enough, they had some.

Hope you have a marvelous cruise! Just be warned, cruising is addictive
Old 06-15-2011, 05:39 AM
Thumbs up Dress Code
There isn't one really, except that shorts, and jeans (for the most part) are not acceptable for dining room wear; the jeans debate goes on, much like Dave said above. I, and I speak ONLY for myself, am not, and never will be, a "dress up" kind of guy-I do not even own a suit, sport coat, nor (God forbid) a tie. I always wear "Docker's" style slacks and golf or Hawaian(sp) type button shirts for every night. We have several ship's photos us ourselves taken on "Formal" nights, and there are always many men whom do not dress up. You WILL see some cool clothes that you may not usually encounter where you live (some men look great in a Kilt), and many look very nice in a tux. My theory is, I'm on vacation! Dress as you like, and in the mood you feel at the time. Many ships do rent a tux for the week if you'd like. I have NEVER had a crew member say anything to me about how I should be dressed some other way, but I WOULD expect to hear something if I wore shorts into the dinner dining room. As as aside to this thread, most of us will tell you to NOT OVER PACK!! Do NOT bring your whole closet! Otherwise, have a great cruise!!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:38 AM

Unhappy Some Input Please
My experience on a Princess cruise was being banned from dining rooms excepting the buffet line for wearing shorts. I do not even own one pair of shorts. It was a knee-length skirt! My wardrobe is all skirts & dresses.

In your opinion should I expect problems on Carnival if I don't own any pants of any length? My wife wears pants so I could wear some of hers if push comes to shove, so to speak. I would hate to buy pants just to wear for one week on a cruise ship but I don't want to be forced off of the ship in a foreign country either. Your thoughts, please. FYI, I emailed the Carnival cruise customer service office without the decency of a response.

================================================== =======

"You WILL see some cool clothes that you may not usually encounter where you live (some men look great in a Kilt), and many look very nice in a tux. My theory is, I'm on vacation! Dress as you like, and in the mood you feel at the time. Many ships do rent a tux for the week if you'd like. I have NEVER had a crew member say anything to me about how I should be dressed some other way, but I WOULD expect to hear something if I wore shorts into the dinner dining room."
Old 08-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Dave is correct - this issue will always spark debate. I don't beleive jeans are ever appropriate in the dining room for dinner, regardless of which cruise line you're on. But then, I don't believe that jeans are ever appropriate for any "grown up" occasion . . and I live in a town where jeans are considered appropriate wear for weddings..... Anyway, I would say, try it one night for dinner in the dining roon, they'll either let you in or ask you to dress differently the next time. As for DH & I, he has two pairs of dockers type slacks for dinner and I usually wear a dress. A plus to these is that they weigh less than denim, so we don't have to worry about the 50 pound luggage weight limit on the plane.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:21 AM

n0heq, they will not put you off the ship, they will just not let you into the dining room. You will still be able to go to the buffet area.

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, casual, cruise, dockers, golf, guidelines, jeans, kind, luggage, night, people, royal, ship, shirt, shoes, wear, wearing