Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 07:27 AM

Default Formal Nights
Going on a 9 night cruise - what nights are the formal nights??
Old 06-21-2011, 03:45 PM

That depends on the ship and the itinerary. They definitely won't be the first night or last night, since the first night people are usually busy unpacking, and on the last night, people have to pack, and their formal wear might already be put away by the time they get ready for dinner.
2013 - Golden Princess (Alaska, roundtrip from Seattle)
Old 06-22-2011, 08:11 AM

MCPayne is correct, normally, it's the first full sea day and the next to the last full sea day. Once in a while they will have a formal night after a day in port, depending on the itinerary. It will be listed in your newsletter that you receive in your cabin daily. Have a great cruise!
Old 06-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Talking
Sad to say, but Formal Nights aren't really that formal any longer....

Some will dress nicely and many won't....

It has gotten so that anything goes....But dress up and feel smart....

Bob E
Old 06-23-2011, 07:36 AM

You're so right Bob E, I remember wearing full length gowns. Now, you're lucky to see a nice cocktail dress. It's always fun for me to dress up. I may not always purchase a picture, but the photographers really do take some great portraits.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny3333 View Post
You're so right Bob E, I remember wearing full length gowns. Now, you're lucky to see a nice cocktail dress. It's always fun for me to dress up. I may not always purchase a picture, but the photographers really do take some great portraits.
I really look forward to the formal nights. And while many people do not get too formal anymore, my wife and I still dress to the nines. It is not only fun and we get nice photos but we get a lot of attention from our fellow passengers. I like the attention, I can still turn a head when I'm 60 so I know I'm still OK. Those of you familiar with me know that I have to wear a kilt to get those heads to turn these days but I still like it.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:07 AM
CruiseDad - - - I LOVE it when I see male passengers formalled up in their kilts - - on our 2009 cruise, there was a table of 4 gentlemen - 3 in kilts and one in formal Navy uniform. They also turned heads. As far as I'm concerned - KILT UP ~ and stay formal for formal night. (although I have to admit, in our household the tuxedo has gone away - - we no longer have access to a free on - - but DH does have to wear a sport coat and tie !)
Old 06-23-2011, 03:08 PM

I agree with everyone above...there is something about dressing up that just makes one feel better. I usually just wear a jacket and tie, but if you like wearing a tuxedo, go right ahead!

Actually on my recent Carnival Elation cruise, I don't remember seeing even one person in a tuxedo. It could be that I just didn't notice, but I don't remember seeing anyone.

Either way, I'm sure you will really enjoy the formal nights.

Take care,

Brad

Old 06-24-2011, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmaz View Post
CruiseDad - - - I LOVE it when I see male passengers formalled up in their kilts - - on our 2009 cruise, there was a table of 4 gentlemen - 3 in kilts and one in formal Navy uniform. They also turned heads. As far as I'm concerned - KILT UP ~ and stay formal for formal night. (although I have to admit, in our household the tuxedo has gone away - - we no longer have access to a free on - - but DH does have to wear a sport coat and tie !)

SusanMaz, Thanks for the confirmation that Kilts are still in. On a two formal night cruise I wear kilt (Royal Stewart or Winter Battle MacIntyre) and the second night a Tuxedo. And yes about 50% of my suitcase is formal wear, I don't care, It's fun. However for DH, try googling 'Buy a tuxedo cheap', You will find Classic New Tux for less than $100. I bought one. I use it 3 times a year, Cruising, Band Performace at Christmas, and usually 1 other time comes up. It has paid for itself many times over. I think it is a good buy.

I'd post a photo of me at my Daughter's wedding in it but I don't know how

Last edited by CruiseDad; 06-24-2011 at 10:16 AM. Reason: adding a photo, I hope
Old 06-24-2011, 09:19 AM

CruiseDad, if you have your picture uploaded to a website like flickr. Click on the post reply, then on the yellow mountain looking icon and enter the web address. We'd all love to see the photo. I, too, love seeing the dress kilts, well kilts in general. Just seems to have so dang many parts and pieces

Closed Thread

Tags
caribbean, cruise, cruiselines, cruises, enchantment, formal, majesty, night, nights, rccl, royal, seas, ship, ships, wear