Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/)
-   -   New Cruiser seeks advice (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/royal-caribbean-cruise-line/37148-new-cruiser-seeks-advice.html)

momofmd 06-24-2011 02:43 PM

New Cruiser seeks advice

Going on first cruise ever on board Royal Caribbean Allure to Western Caribbean mid. August. Would appreciate any tips/suggestion on excursions for Labadee, Haiti, Falmouth Jamaica, and Cozumel. We have teen boys ages 14 & 17, so things of interest for them would be awesome.

peter l 06-25-2011 07:52 AM

Welcome Momofmd to cruise chat and congrats on booking your cruise. There are plenty of cruisers that will be happy to supply you with some suggestions for your ports. Labadee is RCI's private island area and a beach day. The stop provides lots of water sports and a new zip line that may be of interest to your teens. A climb up the famed Dunns River Falls may be of interest to them as well and snorkel tours would be available there as well as on Cozumel. Also available on Cozumel are various ruins if they would be into this sort of tour.
Several great beaches are within easy reach as well...Enjoy that great new RCI ship. Speaking of tours, just attempting to take in all that it has to offer could be a full time tour in of itself.

Peterl

momofmd 06-27-2011 10:06 AM

Thanks Peterl for the info. I have heard the Tulum Ruins are worth seeing. Someone else did a combo of Tulum and Xel-ha, not sure if there is really enough time to do both?:confused:
Anyone else have some insight?
Thanks,
:)

CruiseDad 06-27-2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momofmd (Post 288929)
Thanks Peterl for the info. I have heard the Tulum Ruins are worth seeing. Someone else did a combo of Tulum and Xel-ha, not sure if there is really enough time to do both?:confused:
Anyone else have some insight?
Thanks,
:)

My wife and I really liked the ruins at Tulum, but unless your sons are history buffs probably not for them. If you do the ruins, when you arrive there is a path to walk to get to the entrance. You will be encouraged to pay for a trolly. If you are in even half good condition you do not need to ride.

Are your boys James Bond Fans? Dunn River Falls is where Dr No was filmed. Watch the movie before you go and then you will appreciate it all the more. This is a WET tour. That was not made clear to me when I went there. But I climbed the falls in my shorts, soaking my wallet and photos and everything. It was still worth it. The young boys would love it.

momofmd 06-27-2011 10:56 AM

Thanks cruisedad for the tip about the "wet excursion" Dunn Falls. Will check out that James Bond movie to get the boys excited. Yes, my oldest is a history buff, and seeing something dating back AD might be cool. :)

penny3333 06-27-2011 01:32 PM

Hi momofmd, welcome to CruiseReviews! If you like snorkeling, Xel-ha is great! Dunns is a must, and you will definitely get wet. We did a half day Tulum/half day Xel-ha excursion. I really wish I had had more time in Xel-ha, but I LOVE snorkeling. The ruins were great, and the setting is beautiful, though. Zip-line in Labadee and a beach day (this is RCI's private island). They'll have a bar-b-que for you there.

Dave just returned from the Allure and will be writing a review for us, soon. I know SonnyV loved her. I haven't had the pleasure of sailing her...yet:)

Hope you have a marvelous time! Just be warned, cruising is addictive:)

momofmd 06-29-2011 11:37 AM

Appreciate all the great tips everyone! Keep them coming. :)