Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Default We have returned from the Allure!
Just in the door from a wonderful 7 nights aboard Allure Of The Seas. What a fabulous crew. Every one of them, and I mean everyone, was helpful and cheerful. I don't think I have ever done a cruise where the crew was so uniformly upbeat.

Weather was phenomenal. I don't think I can ever cruise on RCI again without having concierge lounge access. I was definitely spoiled. Alas, I'll have to do without it on the Liberty this coming December for the Rock Legends charter cruise.

Food was good in the dining room and the service was outstanding. I was a bit disappointed with Chops. Slow service and some items were cold when delivered. Johnny Rockets also was plagued by glacially slow service although the food was fine. It took 1 hour and 40 minutes for us to have lunch there, and all we had was the plate of fries/rings and a burger. Nothing special.

Shows were fantastic. Okay, I am not a fan of Chicago but the performers were wonderful. Blue Planet was my favorite.

I'll have a complete review soon, but suffice to say we were quite pleased with this cruise although we were ready for it to end. I think they'd have to cart me off in a stretcher if I did a back-to-back.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:48 PM
Welcome back Dave; it sounds like you had a great time overall. I look forward to your review.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:57 PM

Welcome back! Did your son enjoy the ship? It sounds like a fun place for people of all ages.

Nadine
Old 06-26-2011, 07:16 PM

Welcome back...I too look forward to your review. I think the Allure my also be our next target!

Brad

Old 06-27-2011, 04:35 AM

Dave

Can't wait till full review..I do have one question for you...Was 1 week long enough? Would you recommend B2B on Allure(or Oasis)?

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-27-2011, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Whether the Allure (or Oasis) is worthy of a B2B cruise is subjective. Speaking for us, and that includes a 17 year-old son, one week was plenty. We were ready to leave. It was getting into sensory overload territory with us because of all the activities and noise from those activities. The first 3 or 4 days gave us the WOW thrills, but then the new wore off and we found ourselves spending more time in the cabin or the concierge lounge, just for some quiet.

We saw younger families that were constantly on the go and reveling in everything. They probably would love another week.

Our cruise had 6261 passengers (the max is 6360), and that included 1300 children and teens. The ship did an exceptional job managing so many people and the kids were never a problem. However, 1300 kids can make a lot of noise. No way I could take it for 14 days. Perhaps it would be different during another time of year when most schools are in session.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:59 AM

Default excursions on Western Caribbean Allure
Hello,
Not sure if I'm posting to the right place or not, but just read that Dave went on the Allure. Didn't catch to where though. If you did go to Labadee, Haiti Falmouth, Jamaica or Cozumel, Mexico would excursions would you recommend for a family of 4 with 2 teen boys ages 14 and 17. Thanks for any tips/suggestions. We sail mid. Aug.

Thanks,
momofmd
Old 06-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Administrator

We did the western Caribbean, visiting Labadee, Falmouth, and Cozumel.

The big thing to do at Labadee is the zip line. The roller coaster is also popular. Labadee has really turned into a huge private resort, made better by the pier.

Falmouth was a disappointment to me because I wanted to see the port area which is supposed to be a British colonial styled place. Yes, it is all fake but I wanted to see it so I could write about it. Sadly it is not close to being finished. I'd say 50% or so. Falmouth is really just a jumping off point to tours that one can get when docked in Ocho Rios or Montego Bay. Teens would likely be bored with the plantation tours and such. It really means doing the familiar tours like the Dunn's River Falls or Martha Brae rafting.

Cozumel has always been my favorite place in the western Caribbean, and I guess it still is although this time I got annoyed by the store hawkers downtown and had a 'moment' with an uppity Mexican security person when I was returning to the ship. Thus I am a bit jaded about this visit. The port areas and main drag are so phony and commercialized now days that it has destroyed the charm Cozumel used to have.

Just get a cab and go a beach or day resort. Don't buy a ship's tour for Cozumel.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:49 AM

Default Thanks Dave!
Hi Dave! Appreciate the speedy reply. This is an awesome forum and I'm learning so much. Thanks for all the tips.

Do you know if RCCL offers milk as one of the free beverages? I've heard you need to buy a soda pass if you drink more than 3 or 4 sodas a day, but my teens drink milk practically for every meal!

Thanks,
Old 06-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Milk, iced tea, coffee, hot tea, chocolate milk, juices, lemonade, are included in the cruise price and available at meal times in select dining venues like the main dining room and Windjammer buffet. Also 24 hours a day from room service. Do not ask for juice at a bar since that incurs a fee.

Closed Thread

Tags
allure, concierge, cozumel, cruise, day, excursions, falmouth, forums, lounge, pass, prices, resort, review, reviews, ship, zipline